Canadian Muslims demanding end to free speech / Canada's Anti-Islamophobia Committee will begin meetings next month

Argus

Just now, GostHacked said:

It's more a matter of when. With the current set of idiotic mindset of SJWs and the like , when these people are in positions of power, you can bet things will change.

Well we are circling here.  Like I said, if you really think so book mark this and come back in a year or two.  We'll see who was right.

20 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I would say any expressed hatred towards Muslims in general. I don't consider calling out specific acts by individuals as Islamophobic.

I go back to my question about why should I be required to respect some guy who wears a duck on his head every day of his life because his god tells him to. If I think a religion is stupid why should I not be permitted to say so? If I think people doing stupid things in the name of a stupid religion is stupid why should I not be allowed to say so? If I think people hold stupid beliefs based on their stupid religion why should I be put in prison for saying so?

19 hours ago, dialamah said:

Quite a few people assume that a statement which paints Islam and Muslims in the worst possible light must be correct and anyone who provides information or a viewpoint which suggests that maybe there's more to the story is dismissed as someone who's an Islam 'apologist' or won't have a 'rational' discussion about the perils of Islam.   When I see that pattern repeated by someone, then I would consider them an Islamaphobe.

Really? And what kind of criminal law would you like to subject them to? Prison? Fines? Concentration camps, perhaps?

So if I a statement says, for example, that most of the world's Muslims support execution for apostates, and someone rushes to deflect the conversation into talking about there being islamophobia in Canada, what name do we call that person?

1 minute ago, Argus said:

I go back to my question about why should I be required to respect some guy who wears a duck on his head every day of his life because his god tells him to. If I think a religion is stupid why should I not be permitted to say so? If I think people doing stupid things in the name of a stupid religion is stupid why should I not be allowed to say so? If I think people hold stupid beliefs based on their stupid religion why should I be put in prison for saying so?

No, you are free to say religion is stupid and criticize people for the practice of religion. What is worthy of scorn however is if you criticize people for being neighbors because they also practice a religion. Do you see the distinction?

6 hours ago, Peter F said:

I suspect that your experiences in Afghanistan, in a war, have naturally coloured your view. But you know very well that most muslims are fine - or certainly tolerable.

But are they tolerant?

5 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

No, you are free to say religion is stupid and criticize people for the practice of religion. What is worthy of scorn however is if you criticize people for being neighbors because they also practice a religion. Do you see the distinction?

I see you changing the topic and creating a straw man. What if I criticize my neighbors because they wear ducks on their heads and go out on the road every noon to flap their arms and quack? What if they force their small children to wear duck costumes everywhere they go, no matter how hot it is?

And what if I think the government is nuts to keep bringing over people who put ducks on their heads and dress their kids in duck costumes, especially when a huge chunk of them pay little or no taxes because they don't have the skills or education to get good jobs?

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Peter F said:

Very. Except for the ones that aren't of course.

And upon what evidence do you base this belief? The proliferation of gay pride parades in Muslim countries? The peaceful way they interact with and treat members of other religions who in the minority in Muslim majority countries? The splendid equality between men and women in Muslim countries? Or is the freedom to speak your mind and question aspects of Islam?

Edited by Argus

46 minutes ago, Argus said:

What if I criticize my neighbors because they wear ducks on their heads and go out on the road every noon to flap their arms and quack?

Criticize all you want, just don't try and stop them from wearing the ducks because if they aren't hurting you by wearing the ducks then it's not really your business.

pay little or no taxes

You complain about that all the time about everyone that isn't your shade of blue anyway.

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Criticize all you want, just don't try and stop them from wearing the ducks because if they aren't hurting you by wearing the ducks then it's not really your business.

But am I being duckphobic?

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

You complain about that all the time about everyone that isn't your shade of blue anyway.

It seems logical to me that when 50% of the population is responsible for paying 96% of the bills, the other 50% is largely getting a free ride, likes it, and will vote in whatever government promises them more stuff for nothing. I don't think this is good for the country, and importing more such people certainly isn't. Coloration has zip to do with it.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

It seems logical to me that when 50% of the population is responsible for paying 96% of the bills, the other 50% is largely getting a free ride, likes it, and will vote in whatever government promises them more stuff for nothing. 

Gosh, did your tax burden prevent you from putting in gold bathroom fixtures during your bathroom renovation?   Or  perhaps you could only afford one fancy recliner when you actually wanted two?   My heart bleeds.

I know how you feel, though.  My tax burden means I can't go on vacation the way I'd like to.   Have to wait another year for that yard renovation, too, I'm thinking.  

And my daughter - she really gets it!   Her $5,000 tax burden on her full-time, $14.00 an hour job means she sometimes has to shop at the food bank and she also has to drive a rusted out, shitbox car she got for $500 and repairs herself to keep it going.   Having kids will do that; too bad the kids' dad didn't feel like he should have to help and disappeared, we know not where.

And my friend on disability - she pays no taxes at all and it really pisses me off that I have to pay for her extravagant lifestyle of staying  home because she can't afford a bus pass anymore since the BC Gov't took away the subsidized bus pass. She tends to run out of food near the end of the month; I keep telling her she has to get out of that moldy basement suite she pays $400 a month for; I'm sure she can find something cheaper, if she just looked.   I give her my old clothes, and she sometimes goes to the skytrain station to beg money to buy time for her cell phone and pay her hydro bill, but still - why should any of my taxes go to help her, when dammit, I haven't been out of the country for a vacation in years!

Really, Argus, I get it.  

Edited by dialamah
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Gosh, did your tax burden prevent you from putting in gold bathroom fixtures during your bathroom renovation?   Or  perhaps you could only afford one fancy recliner when you actually wanted two?   My heart bleeds.[/quote]

That's the typical attitude of the have-nots. There is a cliche that when an American sees a rich house on a hill he says "Boy, I'm gonna try to get one of those one day" but a Canadian looks up and says "That bastard! He shouldn't have what I don't! The government needs to tax him more!"

Don't blame me because  you don't have the skills or ability to earn much money. Instead, thank me for paying for your health care.

13 minutes ago, dialamah said:

And my daughter - she really gets it!   Her $5,000 tax burden on her full-time, $14.00 an hour job means she sometimes has to shop at the food bank and she also has to drive a rusted out, shitbox car she got for $500 and repairs herself to keep it going.   Having kids will do that; too bad the kids' dad didn't feel like he should have to help and disappeared, we know not where.

If you knew anything about income tax - like if you paid it -  you would know that your daughter does not pay any. Whatever gets deducted from her pay cheque gets refunded at the end of the year. That's why the lowest earning 30% of the population pays zip in income tax.

I pay for their health care too.

And I understand why the thought of adding tens of billions to the tax burden Canadians have to pay each year in order to bring in hundreds of thousands of unskilled foreigners doesn't bother you. Since you don't pay any yourself.

20 hours ago, Argus said:

Yah but here's the point. Years ago I was going to Hebrew University of Jerusalem studying in the summer on a  scholarship. Yah such a genius. Anyways, our international student residence was built in an Hasidic neighbourhood. It was Friday, the sun was going down We had to get off the bus and walk 15 minutes. . I was walking with this fellow student from Brooklyn. She had arm pit hair as thick as any Musk Ox.

She was wearing a t-shirt, no bra, cut offs. . Then there was me at that time -this idiot 16 year old hippy dude biy with long hair and a hippy hat and a vest and jeans thinking I was Leon Russell or Greg Alman. Point is as we walked out came these little yeshiva boekers (school boys) just like roaches or rats or snakes hissing at us and throwing rocks and spitting. Women can not show their arms or legs let alone at sundown on the Sabbath.

Before you knew it we triggered a street riot. By the time a police jeep got in and pulled the two of us out we had got some good punches with many a Talmud scholar attacking us as well as get  our share or rocks in the head and some hair pulling, bites, slaps.

Nothing compared to the cop who pulled me up into the jeep by my ear. I am not sure what he found funnier, our stupidity or the site of these friggin vampire holy types attacking us. I think it was the first time any of them came out before the sun was fully down.

The point of the story is just like the cop told me after calling me choice names and asking me  the hell was wrong with us was - there's a time and a place for everything.

Edited by Rue

34 minutes ago, Rue said:

The point of the story is just like the cop told me after calling me choice names and asking me  the hell was wrong with us was - there's a time and a place for everything.

I'm not sure why you raise that point, Rue. Its not like I mock my neighbor or throw stones or call him names. and harassment and assault are against the law anyway. But what I fear is a law which will criminalize criticism of Islam and it's behavior  similar to what we find in some European countries. I mean, Brigit Bardot keeps getting charged for complaining about the way they treat animals. :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Argus said:

I go back to my question about why should I be required to respect some guy who wears a duck on his head every day of his life because his god tells him to.

You shouldn't! Your racism, intolerance, and bigotry should be completely legal, as long as long as its just expression, and doesn't manifest itself in ways that harm others. Just remember its a too way street, and don't complain if the rest of us are intolerant of you and your views.

Edited by dre

6 minutes ago, dre said:

You shouldn't! Your racism, intolerance, and bigotry should be completely legal, as long as long as its just expression, and doesn't manifest itself in ways that harm others. Just remember its a too way street, and don't complain if the rest of us are intolerant of you and your views.

Generally what I'm intolerant of is stupid. That's why I'm so intolerant of the stupid people here and their moronic views. I remind myself that not everyone can be of even average intelligence, but even so...

Edited by Argus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dre said:

Well I was replying to this...  "why should I be required to respect". So he made it about himself. Answer your question?

Well, if you were smart you might consider that my stating I didn't  respect unidentified people out there in the world is not the same as you violating the rules here by engaging in childish and ignorant namecalling,

• Like 1