Iranian award winner

On Wednesday, Maryam Mirzakhani became the first woman in 78 years to be awarded the prestigious Fields Medal, considered the highest honor in mathematics. She was selected for "stunning advances in the theory of Riemann surfaces and their moduli spaces."

The Fields Medal is awarded every four years by the International Mathematical Union to outstanding mathematicians under 40 who show promise of future achievement. With the announcement of Mirzakhani and this year's other awardees—Arthur Avila, Manjul Bhargava, and Martin Hairer—there now have been 54 male and 1 female medalists.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/08/maryam-mirzakhani-first-woman-fields-medal-mathematics

Fantastic award! Well done to her!

• Like 1

It should be noted that the award was from 2014, not exactly "On Wednesday" as the quoted part of the OP reads. In any case, here's a brief summary of her award-winning work:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~ctm/papers/home/text/papers/icm14/icm14.pdf

I can honestly say that despite having taken no less than 6 graduate level math courses, and while I've encountered Riemann surfaces, the summary above loses me in the first paragraph of the "setting" section. 

10 hours ago, Bonam said:

It should be noted that the award was from 2014, not exactly "On Wednesday" as the quoted part of the OP reads. In any case, here's a brief summary of her award-winning work:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~ctm/papers/home/text/papers/icm14/icm14.pdf

I can honestly say that despite having taken no less than 6 graduate level math courses, and while I've encountered Riemann surfaces, the summary above loses me in the first paragraph of the "setting" section. 

You are right! The article is an old one. But it was merely brininging to highlight the highest achievements by women in the US...

• 5 months later...

It is with my deepest sadness that I have to post this sad news that Maryam has passed away and has descended to heaven with other angels.

Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US.

The 40-year-old Iranian, a professor at Stanford University, had breast cancer which had spread to her bones.

Nicknamed the "Nobel Prize for Mathematics", the Fields Medal is only awarded every four years to between two and four mathematicians under 40.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40617094

Maryam will however remain an inspiration for Iranian women who are now a majority in Iranian universities and are being promoted to the high level scientific and management positions in science and technology in Iran itself past many years and all women in the world. God bless her soul.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

• 1 month later...

That is sad to hear.   Thank you for posting.  We have two daughters with a half dozen grad and post grad degrees in science between them, that gives me a great appreciation of how much extra a female must achieve in many disciplines to be recognized.

My thoughts are with her friends, family and students.