Electoral Reform Abandoned

Boges

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Thats what happens when you vote anything but harper.....those NDP'ers shoring up the liberal ranks, because we could not stomach another 4 years of Harper......And now they have to life with their decision......

Harper absolutely had to go and Trudeau has been a thousand times better.   But I didn't vote for him....

23 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Harper absolutely had to go and Trudeau has been a thousand times better.   But I didn't vote for him....

If putting the country in perpetual debt to buy off special interests is a thousand times better...

cash for access being a thousand times better...

no major govt funded infrastructure projects as promised being a thousand times better...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blueblood said:

If putting the country in perpetual debt to buy off special interests is a thousand times better...

cash for access being a thousand times better...

no major govt funded infrastructure projects as promised being a thousand times better...

Harper had much, much larger deficits.   Nice try at revising history. 

And tonight on the National this story showed up 11 mins in, the biggest story of the day, and the CBC shapes the news to make it seem like it's unimportant, now, chicken and egg of course, but im willing to bet that if the biggest news broadcast in the country gave the story a higher profile more people would find reason to care about it.  They did the same thing with the mydemocracy survey and the castro eulogy, it seems to the CBC every negative Trudeau story is something Canadians dont care about, maybe they are right.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm cheering it.  Kinda.  No one likes a liar, but I'm okay with FPTP. 

Yeah. My reaction depends on what the actual question is. Sure, I'm happy that FPTP is staying. What I'm not happy about is that people voted for Trudeau based on promises that were obviously false when he was making them. But I'm also somewhat resolute in that I already knew that Liberals virtually never keep any of their promises.

At the risk of conflating US and Canadian politics (and instigating thread drift along the way), I also think that Trudeau's typical promise breaking behaviour only further emphasizes how remarkable President Trump is -- no one expected a politician that actually went about doing specifically what he promised to do. That's not how politicians behave on either end of the political spectrum or on either side of the border. It's quite jarring.

36 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I'm a little surprised by the indignation here. I didn't know there were so many critics of FPTP in our ranks. 

I think its a variant of a strongman syndrome/complex.  In terms of post revolutionary France I think it would be regarded as a right-wing trait and very likely looked on favourably by the powers and cronies that be.

Have conservatives ever led the charge for doing away with FPTP in any other country or jurisdiction anywhere or is it just them damn progressives forever running around trying to change everything? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

I think its a variant of a strongman syndrome/complex.  In terms of post revolutionary France I think it would be regarded as a right-wing trait and very likely looked on favourably by the powers and cronies that be.

Have conservatives ever led the charge for doing away with FPTP in any other country or jurisdiction anywhere or is it just them damn progressives forever running around trying to change everything? 

FPTP does not reflect the popular vote very well. That is a big flaw.

11 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Really, if harper was still in charged we would not have a deficit till 2055 and more jobs would have been created IMO. Trudeau lied right to your face to get elected.That what liberals do, they lie and lie and lie. So I would like to know why does goulds still have a job, her dept is no longer needed, back to the benches with her.

9 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I'm a little surprised by the indignation here. I didn't know there were so many critics of FPTP in our ranks. 

So it looks we are stuck with FPTP and its wonders: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_1993

I don't actually support PR or a Ranked system. I'm just opposed to dishonesty of this man. To make this issue a cornerstone of his election platform to garner support from Green's and the NDP then to reverse course is the worst kind of politics. 

The sheen is all but gone from the Sunny Ways rhetoric of late 2015. 

And to throw a rookie MP to the wolves to take all the heat for this dishonesty? To quote the man himself what a "Piece of Sh!t". 

I would support a referendum on EC. Ontario had one in 2007 for the MMP system that actually does the best to balance the idea that people's vote do count for something even though their riding doesn't go their way but keeps the regional representation of the Commons intact. It was soundly defeated. 

The idea that they scrapped it because the feedback they were getting was that the question would need a referendum is the best example of taking your ball and going home. What a set of petulant children!

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

Just now, eyeball said:

Those differences are almost completely moot in this globalized world we now live in.

Yeah Voters in Quebec, Alberta and Southern Ontario are exactly the same. It's much better that we be governed by party cronies that never actually got elected, they just get a seat based on the parties percentage of votes nationally. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Yeah Voters in Quebec, Alberta and Southern Ontario are exactly the same.

Well, at least they're all Earthlings.

It's much better that we be governed by party cronies that never actually got elected, they just get a seat based on the parties percentage of votes nationally.

No it isn't. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, it does break the forum rules, although as it is not against someone that is identified as right winged that faux pas will probably be exempt or ignored.

Because the forum moderators are so right wing? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, The_Squid said:

I'm sure your not a liberal, just a 5 th row cheerleader, for them.......your party is something like the rhino party, it's on the ballet but has done nothing for the country since it's inception.........and since they have not amount to anything you've jumped on the liberal gravy train because "well the guy has a good set of hair"  like most new liberals have.....you guys are now having to reap what you sowed......once all those new taxs come into play in 2018.....most of you will be singing a new tune....."who let that guy IN" ....

It would be folly to think that this is Trudeaus last word on electoral  reform.  Imagine him popping up on The National in  a few weeks, telling us that the response from ordinary Canadians has been overwhelming.  He's been inundated with demands he must implement reform as promised, and before 2019.  His choices are down to just one, and his government listens to the people and acts.

And what is the only choice available in this time frame?  No proprep, which will likely take years to sort and take constitutional change.  And a referendum- sorry, no time for that since you insist I get this done and done now....

Gee, it is ranked ballots as the only choice, a compromise we will just have to live with.  Sheerest coincidence, who could have guessed it would work out this way, but lets get that to a vote right now in my  the    Commons.  The Senate is anxious to rubber stamp debate it too.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎01 at 3:54 PM, overthere said:

Yes he  is  using women  as props, but that is far different than throwing them under the bus as you claimed.

Now men under the bus, yes: Dion and McCallum lately....

He threw Dion under the bus. He have McCallum a requested cush job. I was advised by the moderators not to respond to your last sentence so as to insult McCallum so suffice it to say I will limit my words to saying I suspect he is an alien from the Zeticula Romuli constellation and therefore his gender may require further analysis.

Back to the thread topic. It was sheer idiocy to think the Parliamentary system would be changed to match the Italian political system. G od bless Italians because I love their food, women, country sites, cars, but they can keep their political system.

To think Canada should welcome a system of permanent instability with last minute coalitions engaging in sell out to get power l everage in fragmented governments was stupid.

I commend him for killing his stupid idea. Its an idea only an elite circle of individuals who live in la la land embraced. The average Canadian did not embrace this issue, had no concern for it.

It also doesn't surprise me as well the LIberals figured out that the existing system favours them and so ditched it probably for that reason.

It was idiotic. To see Trudeau lie about it, lol this is someone who travels with billionaires in direct conflict of interest after claiming he would never do such a thing.

What did you Trudeau groupies think, that his sheeyat don't stink? Oh it does just like anyone else's.