Trudeau Ministry of Truth

Smallc

Today, Kate Purchase, the Prime Minister's communications director wrote Fox News a needlessly wordy and long letter asking them to remove a tweet that named Belkhadir as one of the suspects in the Quebec City Mosque massacre.  

I have 3 problems with this:

1 ) The letter did not need to be made public - it could have been kept private and had the same effect (the tweet was removed)

2 ) The government shouldn't be sending out letters like this that are essentially threats since they hold the licensing authority over Fox (Andrew Coyne made me realize this)

3 ) Other media organizations had the same incorrect info.  I've seen some of them correct it tonight.  Either the government didn't bother to check those other sources, didn't care about those other sources, or kept their letters private.  Either way, I don't like it. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad the false info was corrected.  I just don't see the need for this action.

I see no problem. Should FOX have left the tweet naming Belkhadir up then that risked Belkhadir - who was soon to be, if not already released from police custody - subject to other possible wing nuts out for vengeance.  It is also very possible that the tweet came to the governments attention  when others had notified FOX that the tweet was incorrect to no avail.

Good for the government in this case.

13 hours ago, Smallc said:

Today, Kate Purchase, the Prime Minister's communications director wrote Fox News a needlessly wordy and long letter asking them to remove a tweet that named Belkhadir as one of the suspects in the Quebec City Mosque massacre.  

1 ) The letter did not need to be made public - it could have been kept private and had the same effect (the tweet was removed)

2 ) The government shouldn't be sending out letters like this that are essentially threats since they hold the licensing authority over Fox (Andrew Coyne made me realize this)

3 ) Other media organizations had the same incorrect info.  I've seen some of them correct it tonight.  Either the government didn't bother to check those other sources, didn't care about those other sources, or kept their letters private.  Either way, I don't like it. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad the false info was corrected.  I just don't see the need for this action.

I don't think trying to scrap with Fox News over a tweet they forgot to take down was worth it.  I think initially all networks got info there was two suspects and ran with that until things fell into place.

if Fox News wants to they could play all kinds of video saying that they are reporting that the one attacker was a deranged white nut job.  Or rebel media will do just that.

Ti me it sounds like they are taking a page out of the trump playbook in dealing with hostile media.

They did it for effect knowing full well that to most smug liberal Canadians sticking it to FOX is cool, and a good political move for them, so, playing politics with a mass murder is apparently ok to them if they get to look like white knights slaying the dragon.

Lots of other news orgs had similar tweets up, nothing was said to them, but that just gets ignored by most of the faithful.  Credit to some for noticing.

Edited by poochy

2 minutes ago, PIK said:

Sorry, but she should not be mouthing off. 

She can do/say whatever she would like.  Criticize what she says, not the fact that she shouldn't be allowed to say anything.   That's censorship. 

It makes us look smug and elitist and that is what she is.

Yeah...  she probably is a smug elitist....   I don't even know what she said...   but smug elitists have the same rights as anyone else.  Just ask Kellie Leitch.

Just now, The_Squid said:

She can do/say whatever she would like.  Criticize what she says, not the fact that she shouldn't be allowed to say anything.   That's censorship. 

Yeah...  she probably is a smug elitist....   I don't even know what she said...   but smug elitists have the same rights as anyone else.  Just ask Kellie Leitch.

Then maybe listen to what she said before you comment on it. OK?

Just now, PIK said:

Then maybe listen to what she said before you comment on it. OK?

No...  I don't think I will....   and here's why:   You weren't criticizing what she was saying....  you are saying she shouldn't have a right to say anything.  

If you criticized what she actually said, this would be a different conversation and maybe I would read/listen to what she said.  She still has a right to say whatever she wants.  Like you do...  like Harper does...  like Trump does...

Criticize what they say, but why would you think someone who doesn't share your political views shouldn't even be allowed to say anything at all?

17 hours ago, Smallc said:

Some pundits say it is seen as another irritant to Trump, since Fox News is his "favorite" media.  It should've been done quietly, and not from the PMO office.

Another pundit said that making the request public, only brought up the erroneous info again. And it got re-tweeted.  

When is the exact date for their meeting?  I don't think they gave a specific date yet?

Edited by betsy

Just now, PIK said:

If you are not going to check it out then don't waste my time. I am just sick and tired of elitist liberals running there mouth off .

She has every right.  Just like any conservative.   Criticize what they say, not their right to say it.

1 minute ago, The_Squid said:

She has every right.  Just like any conservative.   Criticize what they say, not their right to say it.

LOL.  Sure. If say, Stockwell Day or Harper or Kenney said anything you'd be howling like a coyote with rabies and shrieking of their irrelevancy.

6 hours ago, Smallc said:

She can say what she wants - she's a private citizen.

But she was touted as the former governor general when she was interviewed.

Had she been just another citizen....they wouldn't spend that air time wanting her opinion.   It's not as if she's lily white as a governor general.  remember all those lavish spendings?   She milked us taxpayers.

Edited by betsy

5 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Ban FOX from Canada if they are going to perpetuate faux news and are only the propaganda arm of the Trump government.

So ban reuters the bbc, lapresse as well?  they all had similar tweets on their feed when the complaint when out, they can be deleted, but they weren't. At least try to be a little consistent, yes FOX is trash, but this was political grandstanding, over tweets about a mass murder.

16 minutes ago, overthere said:

LOL.  Sure. If say, Stockwell Day or Harper or Kenney said anything you'd be howling like a coyote with rabies and shrieking of their irrelevancy.

Maybe...  but I wouldn't say they don't have a right to say whatever they want.