Are we not allowed to edit and or delete our own posts?

Smallc

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

There is nothing that you can put in the terms of service or the rules of the forum that can change that. Legally is it NOT yours.

Perpetual rights to use or redistribute are common terms and are enforced by the courts. If you grant someone the perpetual rights to use or redistribute your works then you can't come back later and tell them to remove your works from public display. Free software is often distributed under these terms (i.e. the author retains ownership of copyright but grants users perpetual rights to use or redistribute).

Just now, Bryan said:

It's routinely shot down by the courts. Facebook has been forced to allow users for outright delete their entire accounts in one step.

The software industry would be in big trouble if the courts did not enforce "perpetual rights to use and distribute". If Facebook ran into problems it was because they did not ask for those rights (probably because it would scare users away). Your argument was that no terms can be added. That is false. There are terms that can be added but each website may not wish to add such terms because of negative user reactions. 

7 minutes ago, TimG said:

The software industry would be in big trouble if the courts did not enforce "perpetual rights to use and distribute". If Facebook ran into problems it was because they did not ask for those rights (probably because it would scare users away). Your argument was that no terms can be added. That is false. There are terms that can be added but each website may not wish to add such terms because of negative user reactions. 

The reason Facebook has lost these cases is because they over-reached by claiming perpetual rights. If they had specified a set period of time after which they expired, they likely would have been OK. 

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

The reason Facebook has lost these cases is because they over-reached by claiming perpetual rights. If they had specified a set period of time after which they expired, they likely would have been OK. 

I doubt that. As I said, perpetual rights are essential tool in the software business. If Facebook lost it was likely due to some other restriction related to privacy laws. 

23 minutes ago, TimG said:

I doubt that. As I said, perpetual rights are essential tool in the software business. If Facebook lost it was likely due to some other restriction related to privacy laws. 

Agreed, but perpetual rights for software development work product is very different from posts in a public web forum.   The question of forum post author rights has been debated ever since forums/bulletin boards have existed.  The consensus is that authors retain copyright for their original content and intellectual property, but forum owners control the compilation of volunteered content from users implicitly, and explicitly if enumerated in the TOS.  Forum owners cannot usually appropriate member content for other reasons outside of fair use doctrine.

The existence of an unbounded edit feature does not extinguish forum owners' control of volunteered content, if for only the technical reason that the content can easily be restored if desired.   Moreover, forum owners or their designees (moderators) are given great latitude (rightly or wrongly) to edit and or delete forum member content for a variety of reasons, regardless of content/IP considerations.

Forum owners have the larger burden of legal liability as well, and will usually remove content when formally requested to do so or by C+D letter.

Bottom line:  Don't post in this forum if one is concerned with perpetual existence of posts.   Rage quitting and petulance is not a good enough reason to delete all user content.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Greg said:

Also, for those who are complaining about the actual banning of Cybercoma - I reserve the right to take any moderation action I feel is necessary to maintain order in the forums.

Greg, I fully agree that you're within your right to make moderation/banning actions, its your forum after all, likewise I can understand your point on "vandalizing" the forum through the described actions by Cybercoma. Going forward, now that the rules on such actions are crystal clear, and I assume if they're not already, you will be including them on the conditions of membership for new members?

Furthermore, though I don't know him personally, nor do I hardly agree with Cybercoma on any given subject, could it be any "confusion" on the rules on the part of Cybercoma, combined with him maybe going through a personal rough patch (*** I'm not an expert by any stretch, but his "mood" has seemed "off" recently***) perhaps be grounds to warrant a longstanding member one single "Mulligan"? IOW, a suspension with a short leash versus a complete banning?

Thanks.

(to add, I agree with a "window" for editing posts for spelling etc or fixing a link etc)

• Like 1

Forum content belongs to the forum, not the poster. Says so in the rules and when you sign up you agree to abide by them. What the guy Cybercoma did was very childish and immature. He wanted to lash out and harm the forum by deleting his posts, so that the conversation would be broken. Obviously he was sabotaging his posts and wouldn't be coming back. This was his way of saying "goodbye" to all of you. Even his so-called friends here, who were shocked and saddened by his behaviour. Since he showed willful contempt for all members and desire to harm the forum by corrupting the database which would affect everyone, it seems reasonable to ban such a person.

If anything, it demonstrates that leftists are unstable and not to be trusted with things that involve duty and honour. In the end, the leftist has no option other than to destroy themselves, and are willing to take anyone else with them, be they friend or foe.

You're right it wasn't directed at her specifically. It's directed at ubersensitive types. It doesn't matter how nice you are to some people, they take offence no matter what. I figured maybe if I say "We are taking over" she might get pissed and say "No you're not!" and come back again.

Or shall the left just wither away...

Just now, OftenWrong said:

You're right it wasn't directed at her specifically. It's directed at ubersensitive types. It doesn't matter how nice you are to some people, they take offence no matter what. I figured maybe if I say "We are taking over" she might get pissed and say "No you're not!" and come back again.

ubersensitive doesn't equal liberal though.  One of the most sensitive reactions here occur when somebody is called a racist for saying racist things.  They are not leftists.

Nobody is taking anything over, unless Greg received an offer I haven't heard about yet :)

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

If you want someone to stay, its probably more effective to say 'Don't go, I value your input' than to offer an insult.  

On 1/31/2017 at 4:03 PM, dialamah said:

It's ridiculous that a member should be banned for deleting his own posts.  Even more ridiculous when the moderator cannot provide a reasonable case for that banning, but gets huffy instead.

You got the words right out of my mouth. Well said. I will think twice likely many times before I post again as the editing power even has been taken away (at least from me) a few hours after the post is made!!!!!! Why should I not be able to edit my own posts????

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

That's just normal citizen_2015, every forum I know does that. You can't just keep going back and editing something. It times out usually after about 5 minutes.

Who gives a crap what's said anyway? Aint like this is some court of law, or somethin. I mean you're anonymous, there's nothing said here that sticks to you. Unless of course you let it.

Don't be like cybercoma, he just flipped his lid. If you're upset about things, like Donald Trump, just take a vacation for a while, don't delete all your posts. I mean what, you really going to delete thousands of posts by hand? That would take weeks.

It wasn't like this before. I remember I could go back ages and edit my posts either because of a mistake I made or an idea or opinion expressed poorly or change my mind or view about something I said. I am not talking about deleting but EDITING. And I care about this forum not other forums as I am a member only here. 

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

One of the most sensitive reactions here occur when somebody is called a racist for saying racist things. 

Or when someone is called a racist for saying something which is not racist.

19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

One of the most sensitive reactions here occur when somebody is called a racist for saying racist things.

Then there's the uber-sensitivity of the defenders of right-wing concernism.

They are not leftists.

No, they're extreme centrists 

• Like 1