Are we not allowed to edit and or delete our own posts?

Smallc

8 hours ago, Hydraboss said:

How strange.  Everyone is getting all bent out of shape, yet when I look at Cyber's account.......

.....it says "suspended", not "banned".

At least this place is going back to where it was actually a little bit of fun.  Some heated debate.  A little "light" name calling.  You know....enjoyable.  I actually get a kick out of the no-win that Charles always finds himself in.  Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Yes you're right, says suspended. That means he can come back. Seems like he needed to go on a break anyway. The guy was almost beside himself with rage every time he posted. He was incoherent at times, even. There is a new word for this sort of behavior by leftists, the "Van Jones" syndrome.

15 hours ago, Greg said:

No one is allowed to delete all their posts - period.  

I'm going to turn on the function that stops members from editing/deleting old postings today.

I didn't turn this feature on in the past because I figured we're all adults here, but I guess i have to evolve my thinking somewhat.

You're free to request your name be remove and have your account deleted, but the posts and your statements remain.  If you're that embarrassed by what you've said in the past, perhaps you should watch what you say in the future.  I will remind everyone to read the rules and guidelines of the forum, you have no right to remove what you've said here in the past.

This is a online public forum, and just like you can't magically remove the spoken words in an actual physical public forum, you can't remove them here.

What will you do in the event some government goes rogue and it's death squads start scouring the internet looking for reasons to round us up?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What will you do in the event some government goes rogue and it's death squads start scouring the internet looking for reasons to round us up?

I'll give 'em your name...

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

No.  We need to be able to edit posts at any time.

I'm trying to edit a post I made an hour or so ago.....there's no edit button.  But the post I made 30 minutes ago, still has the edit button.

I'm wondering if something's changed?  Is there a time limit now for editing?

FYI for all members, it looks like the window for editing does not close as long as you keep tweaking within 30 minutes...then the lock clock resets for another 30 minutes?  

So you can keep hashing a post into shape until happy with it.  

I am going to bring our kitchen countdown timer into my office !  

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Forum Admin
16 hours ago, Bryan said:

This is false. The content does not belong to you, it belongs to the people who wrote it. 

No, the rules are clear on this:

By participating in these forums, you grant us the right and licence to use, reproduce and display any submissions to the forum without compensation to you or any one else

By participating in these forums, you give me the licence to use the copy you provide.  Everyone's contributions are part of a greater discussion, I'm not going to allow someone to arbitrarily remove part of the conversation just because they're having a tantrum. Also, some postings are quoted by other members, do you expect me and the other members to selectively edit out the quoted responses just because you want the forum wiped clean of your words?

I'm not changing my mind on this rule, so lets drop this discussion right now.

20 hours ago, Bryan said:

This is false. The content does not belong to you, it belongs to the people who wrote it.

The content may belong to the writer, but the publication of the content does not. If we look at a paper analogy, I write a letter to the editor of a newpaper and they publish it. It may be my words, but the copies out in circulation belong to those that bought the paper. You have claims on the content w.r.t. how it can be further used, subject to certain fair-use provisions, but the original publication is already out there. You cannot erase all those copies already printed, you might want to run around town and buy them all so you can burn them but you can't go into someones home and demand the paper back.

Yes, things change in a digital world because there are far more capabilities of the technology but the basic premise does not change. If for example Greg was running a web hosting company then he would be a service provider and you could be the publisher, but that is not the case with on-line social forums. Once your words have been read by someone else, then the publisher had a responsibility to the reader as well as the writer. That reader may have taken action based on your words (e.g. wrote a reply) and somewhere a balance between responsibility to both reader and writer must be established.

I think we can all agree that the edit function is a great feature to those writing content and none of us wants to see it disappear. If it is abused to the point where it infringes on the reader of the content then we have a problem. Within the capabilities of the software, lets hope that the right balance is achieved and respected by all.

I really don't get why people are getting pissy about this. Why would anyone sane feel the need to go back over months and years of back and forth postings and erase everything they wrote here? It's stupid. It's not like it's under your name anyway so you can't even be trying to cover your dumb words from being searched by employers or girlfriends or whatever. And it's not like anything we write here is significant anyway.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Greg said:

No, the rules are clear on this:

By participating in these forums, you give me the licence to use the copy you provide.  Everyone's contributions are part of a greater discussion, I'm not going to allow someone to arbitrarily remove part of the conversation just because they're having a tantrum. Also, some postings are quoted by other members, do you expect me and the other members to selectively edit out the quoted responses just because you want the forum wiped clean of your words?

I'm not changing my mind on this rule, so lets drop this discussion right now.

I have the right to revoke your license at any time, it's my content. Your right does not extend beyond publishing the conversation at the time that it happens, you do not have perpetual license to it.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have the right to revoke your license at any time, it's my content. Your right does not extend beyond publishing the conversation at the time that it happens, you do not have perpetual license to it.

To that end, I have saved all my MLW "content"...it is indexed and searchable offline.  

When things get slow in real time, I go back and read old topics for a good laugh.

Between MLW archives, Google cache, and the NSA, we can be immortal !

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Downvote 1

No you are not allowed. Because while you are being a member here, you know that your posts will be saved in database and you accept it. It would only be deleted when it contains some articles-posts which influenfes your life or someone's life in a negative manner. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

To that end, I have saved all my MLW "content"...it is indexed and searchable offline.  

When things get slow in real time, I go back and read old topics for a good laugh.

Between MLW archives, Google cache, and the NSA, we can be immortal !

You can save your content, you can republish it, and you absolutely can delete it too.

Ever read Facebook or Twitter's claims to the right of publication of your posts? Far more onerous than Greg's. But guess what, you can still delete any any all content as much as you want whenever you want.

• Forum Admin
13 hours ago, Bryan said:

You don't have the right to revoke your licence, and I DO I have a perpetual license to publish your comments - period.

Also, for those who are complaining about the actual banning of Cybercoma - I reserve the right to take any moderation action I feel is necessary to maintain order in the forums. I don't need a specific rule to give me that power.  This isn't a court of law or a playground for that matter - you can't go running away and cry and whine to an adult when you feel you've been wronged.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

You don't have the right to revoke your licence, and I DO I have a perpetual license to publish your comments - period.

I understand turning off editing for older posts, however, can you make the editing period 24 hours? I often find typos and other goofs when I come back the next day. One of the reasons I like this forum is that posts can be edited after posting to correct such issues.

Considering Greg, that you feel it necessary to insult someone with every single post you grave us with (it just happened to be me in this case) it's quite clear that we wouldn't have an adult to run to anyway.  I'll again show myself the door.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Greg said:

You shouldn't shoot your mouth off about things you know nothing about. You absolutely do not own anyone's content here. There is nothing that you can put in the terms of service or the rules of the forum that can change that. Legally is it NOT yours. I don't have a reason to want to remove my content, but some people might have very good reasons for it. I guarantee you if anyone decided to get a lawyer involved, you would lose. 

Again, even Facebook and Twitter cannot assert that right, even though it's in the terms of service. You can edit and delete any and all of your content there, because they have smart lawyers that are protecting their owners from themselves.

• Downvote 1