Are we not allowed to edit and or delete our own posts?

Smallc

5 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Now, my turn:  What is your best guess of the intentions of a person who deletes ALL of his posts?

They're going to leave this site forever, so they want to delete all their previous posts for privacy reasons.

What would YOU do if you were moderator??

I'd either suspend them and give them a warning that if they continue to do this, they'll be banned.  Or, if I'm 99% positive they want to leave the site for good, I'd ban them. There was a member here lately who was asking if there was a way to delete their entire account, can't remember who that was.

6 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Yes, the website could be changed to not allow editing past 1 week, or whatever.

Instead, we have a knee-jerk Mod who gets huffy and bans the member...  

I see what you mean. The member was highly agitated and needed to be protected from himself, not punished. We should re-write the website software.

• Forum Admin

No one is allowed to delete all their posts - period.  

I'm going to turn on the function that stops members from editing/deleting old postings today.

I didn't turn this feature on in the past because I figured we're all adults here, but I guess i have to evolve my thinking somewhat.

You're free to request your name be remove and have your account deleted, but the posts and your statements remain.  If you're that embarrassed by what you've said in the past, perhaps you should watch what you say in the future.  I will remind everyone to read the rules and guidelines of the forum, you have no right to remove what you've said here in the past.

This is a online public forum, and just like you can't magically remove the spoken words in an actual physical public forum, you can't remove them here.

How strange.  Everyone is getting all bent out of shape, yet when I look at Cyber's account.......

.....it says "suspended", not "banned".

At least this place is going back to where it was actually a little bit of fun.  Some heated debate.  A little "light" name calling.  You know....enjoyable.  I actually get a kick out of the no-win that Charles always finds himself in.  Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

How long would we have to edit a post after it is posted?

Well, he did say 'old' postings, so I presume you can still edit your recent ones for all those spelling and punctuation mistakes.

• Forum Admin
2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

How long would we have to edit a post after it is posted?

90 min

I'm open to pushing that back further, but lets wait for more feedback.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Greg said:

90 min

I'm open to pushing that back further, but lets wait for more feedback.

Thanks

I can say that 99% of the time when I edit a post it's for spelling, punctuation and grammar. Occasionally it's because I discover some information was wrong in what I posted. I usually catch these soon after I post, but on occasion I don't notice until someone has replied to me and I read what they've replied to. I don't know how flexible your software is but I'd prefer a 24 hour wait. I have never, to my knowledge, edited a post that was even as much as a week old. Perhaps if the post in question is the OP of a thread and has gotten replies that could be lowered to 90 minutes, for I think the main concern here is in confusing readers when they can't see what other people are replying to. 

4 hours ago, Greg said:

I'm going to turn on the function that stops members from editing/deleting old postings today.

I didn't turn this feature on in the past because I figured we're all adults here, but I guess i have to evolve my thinking somewhat.

You're free to request your name be remove and have your account deleted, but the posts and your statements remain.  If you're that embarrassed by what you've said in the past, perhaps you should watch what you say in the future.  I will remind everyone to read the rules and guidelines of the forum, you have no right to remove what you've said here in the past.

This is a online public forum, and just like you can't magically remove the spoken words in an actual physical public forum, you can't remove them here.

Set that in a rule or disclaimer when people join. And if I have a 90 minute window, that needs to be applied to moderators adjusting or deleting posts.

58 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Set that in a rule or disclaimer when people join. And if I have a 90 minute window, that needs to be applied to moderators adjusting or deleting posts.

? How can you have a time window for moderators adjusting or deleting posts? First of all they're not here 24/7. Second, suppose they get a complaint two hours later? Are they supposed to shrug and ignore it?

Edited by Argus

5 hours ago, Greg said:

It is sad when the actions of one member invoke changes like this. I think the 24 hour compromise is reasonable however. There are many valid reasons for changing a post, and as I stated earlier if someone comments on something I posted earlier I sometimes do go back and change it but strike out the old version so it remains visible to keep their response in context. Most common changes are simple typo's, or to better clarify what I wanted to originally say. It even happens on rare occasions that while in a rush I say something that is completely opposite to what I intended by forgetting or including a negation. On-line forums are not the same thing as published content, we are typing quickly and not fully proofreading our content; that is the nature of the beast.

14 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

6 months

There has to be some stricter rule of opening posts. When you delete the opening post of a topic you don't even see the topic name, or what it's about if you click on it.

The Mods have simply blown this all out of proportion and are huffy about one person doing something they disagree with.   Deleting posts is not mentioned in the rules anywhere.  Knee jerk reaction...

Edited by The_Squid

8 hours ago, Greg said:

This is false. The content does not belong to you, it belongs to the people who wrote it. 

I can delete or edit all of the content that I want to on any and all other forums and social media site that I go to. Privacy concerns might come up down the line that would make removing a person's online posts a neccessity, and it is important that it remains possible for the user to do that. 

I have no reason to delete my posts here, but I will not be participating in a forum that thinks they own my content.