Donald Trump should be commended for his Muslim Ban.

1 minute ago, Mailman said:

Not quite. 

Well, I guess there are those families who adopt from different cultures, when the PC among us don't have a fit about it, but it can't be overly common.

Edited by bcsapper

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It wasn't too long ago in this country that the same attitude was prolific among white Canadians. Just go back a generation or two.

Sure.  You can't beat civilization.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Therefore we should not be shocked that they have the same attitude among them culturally, at large. The mistake is in projecting our values on others as though we are all equal.

I don't think we're equal.  I think we're vastly superior to many cultures. 

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Therefore we should not be shocked that they have the same attitude among them culturally, at large. The mistake is in projecting our values on others as though we are all equal.

No, the mistake is in assuming people who come here are simply going to cast away their existing values and embrace ours. Especially when so many people are telling them how much they respect their culture and reassuring them they can keep it.

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

No, the mistake is in assuming people who come here are simply going to cast away their existing values and embrace ours. Especially when so many people are telling them how much they respect their culture and reassuring them they can keep it.

It's a good point. Kinda what I said, but yeah.

6 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Ah, okay.  I apologise for doubting you, but that is unusual on here.  It's probably just another iteration of MrCanada, who, once detected, is banned.

I can assure you that pretty much all of the time, when a Muslim or group of Muslims is denounced on here, it is thoroughly deserved.

Oiy! Stop throwing accusations slapper! 

I don't like muslims just like you post anti-semitic garbage.

Edited by Goh Shenas

23 minutes ago, Goh Shenas said:

Oiy! Stop throwing accusations slapper! 

I don't like muslims just like you post anti-semitic garbage.

I bet you a pound to a pinch of p*****t you can't find anything anti semitic on here courtesy of my fine hand.

Unlike you, I'm an equal opportunity hater.  You have to actually do something to warrant it, as opposed to being the wrong colour or religion, which is all you seem to need.

31 minutes ago, Argus said:

No, the mistake is in assuming people who come here are simply going to cast away their existing values and embrace ours.  

Hundreds of years of immigrants to North America has proven that they come here and adapt our values.

The simple fact is that 9/11 made Muslims worldwide under suspicion.  There are a few who aren't susceptible to the usual low xenophobic arguments, but it doesn't matter: it's still wrongheaded to single out this group, to prevent them from coming here.

I have been reading about it for 15 years now and there's just nothing to it.  Argus, you may be the only person on here who can articulate a reasoned argument (or maybe just an argument) but I don't see how it differs from an argument that would bar African Americans from emigrating to Canada.  Yet somehow most find THAT idea reprehensible.

Anyway, my thoughts on the issue... they will have zero impact on the discussion here, so have at it.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Hundreds of years of immigrants to North America has proven that they come here and adapt our values.

The simple fact is that 9/11 made Muslims worldwide under suspicion.  There are a few who aren't susceptible to the usual low xenophobic arguments, but it doesn't matter: it's still wrongheaded to single out this group, to prevent them from coming here.

I have been reading about it for 15 years now and there's just nothing to it.  Argus, you may be the only person on here who can articulate a reasoned argument (or maybe just an argument) but I don't see how it differs from an argument that would bar African Americans from emigrating to Canada.  Yet somehow most find THAT idea reprehensible.

Anyway, my thoughts on the issue... they will have zero impact on the discussion here, so have at it.

Probably because African Americans don't live in a country that bases its government on some silly idea of a supreme being making all the rules, including one or two that say, "kill anyone who doesn't agree with me".

Edited by bcsapper

13 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I bet you a pound to a pinch of p*****t you can't find anything anti semitic on here courtesy of my fine hand.

Unlike you, I'm an equal opportunity hater.  You have to actually do something to warrant it, as opposed to being the wrong colour or religion, which is all you seem to need.

So you hate equal opportunity? That's good to know. Pretty much sums up the kind I am dealing here.

Are you deliberately trying to be obscure or is it the fine hands that get's in the way? My distaste for muslims is something they have brought upon themselves. As for you I have no idea what you have against the jews!

15 minutes ago, Goh Shenas said:

So you hate equal opportunity? That's good to know. Pretty much sums up the kind I am dealing here.

Are you deliberately trying to be obscure or is it the fine hands that get's in the way? My distaste for muslims is something they have brought upon themselves. As for you I have no idea what you have against the jews!

I know you don't.  That would be tough for anyone to have even an inkling of.

Edited by bcsapper

14 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

What mistake?  Is it a mistake to expect from those who'd chosen to live in Canada, to abide by Canada's values?

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Has it? Are there still Chinatowns in most cities, complete with Chinese language signs and goods? Have the Ultra-Orthodox Jews who came here cast away their black garments and assumed our values? What about the Amish and Mennonites?

No, because their values are sustained by their religion. Muslim values come from their religion, as well. That is why, be they in the Pacific Ocean or the deserts of the Middle East, they criminalize homosexuality, and encode gross discrimination against women in their laws. There is no sign that Muslims in Canada are set to abandon the values of their religion nor their children who tend to be more not less religious than their parents. That is why the wearing of garments like the hijab is increasing in Canada, especially among younger women.

Maybe you are right to some extent. Maybe there will be some moderation of their values, but maybe not. We certainly can't have a do-over in thirty or forty years if it turns out I was right. So why risk it? Even the government's own study has found that the Middle East produces the least economically successful immigrants to Canada. Why not stop bringing them in and replace them with people from the most economically successful areas - notably Europe? There is no logical reason why we should be bringing in people from the middle east if we could instead be bringing in more culturally friendly and economically successful immigrants from Europe.

6 hours ago, betsy said:

What mistake?  Is it a mistake to expect from those who'd chosen to live in Canada, to abide by Canada's values?

Abide by our values? We don't even require they abide by us! Trudeau had the part of the immigration agreement whereby the immigrant states his or her intention to live in Canada removed. Apparently that was too much to ask of them.

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Since "Values" is such an amorphous term, I expect abiding by our laws should suffice.   

We all try to abide by the laws.....and yet we still have crimes. 

It need not have to be about crimes committed.

How does it feel to live with someone whom you think is the devil's spawn?  That's how Islam sees western lifestyle, it's one reason why Muslims hate the west!  Because the west CORRUPTS!  The west corrupts and makes you sin! 

If you don't like your neighbors, people tend to move elsewhere.  If your neighbor does drugs and druggies come to your neighbor, wouldn't you do something about it?   Wouldn't you move away?

What more if you believe that your neighbor had committed an atrocious crime against your relative?  How can you both abide in such a volatile situation?

Edited by betsy