Women to march against Trump.

15 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Its primarily the Christian right who drive the anti-abortion movement.

I think the men should be given mandatory birth control.  Especially in Western societies where men are forced to financially support their kids, whether they want to or not.

Why not?  I'm sure many young men would welcome it.  I don't understand why it's so wrong to enforce it some situations with women too.

Edited by Hal 9000

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

They are.  Thats what you fail to understand.  These women march for all women, around the world.   They let  oppressed women around the world know that it can be done.  They are examples and through their work, women around the world have benefitted because they focus attention on the problems all women face.  

Its you who trivializes what they do.  Its you and your ilk who keep women in the dark ages, oppressed by the worst religion has to offer. 

Well said. You have a better way with words than I do! 

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

Why not?  I'm sure many young men would welcome it.  I don't understand why it's so wrong to enforce it some situations with women too.

Having had this conversation many times in other venues, you'd be surprised how many men aren't interested in this 'solution'.  Their argument is that it's the woman's responsibility, she's the one who gets pregnant, and she's the one who gets to make the decision about continuing the pregnancy - so why should the man be expected to do anything?

I don't agree with mandatory birth control anyway; I do believe in education of the sort that says "Here's exactly how you get pregnant - penis-vagina sex.  But anal sex can also get you pregnant, so can thigh-sex - those buggers can travel!   Rhythm method doesn't work, jumping up and down after sex doesn't work, and using a douche after sex helps the baby-makers along.   You should use two kinds of birth control; a surprising number of babies show up because the one method in use failed.   Condoms are as effective as the birth control pill, unless they break.  Missing even one pill can result in pregnancy; some antibiotics can reduce or nullify the effects of the pill.   Men should take just as much responsibility as women for preventing unwanted pregnancy."   Detailed and accurate information about birth control has been proven to reduce unwanted pregnancies and therefore, abortions.   

5 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Having had this conversation many times in other venues, you'd be surprised how many men aren't interested in this 'solution'.  Their argument is that it's the woman's responsibility, she's the one who gets pregnant, and she's the one who gets to make the decision about continuing the pregnancy - so why should the man be expected to do anything?

Agreed...and women should pay for their own abortions, not taxpayers in another nation.

10 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I don't agree with mandatory birth control anyway; I do believe in education of the sort that says "Here's exactly how you get pregnant - penis-vagina sex.  But anal sex can also get you pregnant, so can thigh-sex - those buggers can travel!   Rhythm method doesn't work, jumping up and down after sex doesn't work, and using a douche after sex helps the baby-makers along.   You should use two kinds of birth control; a surprising number of babies show up because the one method in use failed.   Condoms are as effective as the birth control pill, unless they break.  Missing even one pill can result in pregnancy; some antibiotics can reduce or nullify the effects of the pill.   Men should take just as much responsibility as women for preventing unwanted pregnancy."   Detailed and accurate information about birth control has been proven to reduce unwanted pregnancies and therefore, abortions.   

So, the goal is less about preventing pregnancy than it is about making sure that pregnancies can be aborted.  It seems that women want the freedom to get pregnant and abort, but don't want to be accountable.  

Men shouldn't have a say, but they sure better be there to pay the price and pick up the pieces. 

Just now, Hal 9000 said:

So, the goal is less about preventing pregnancy than it is about making sure that pregnancies can be aborted.  It seems that women want the freedom to get pregnant and abort, but don't want to be accountable.  

Men shouldn't have a say, but they sure better be there to pay the price and pick up the pieces. 

It's especially puzzling seeing who is the march's organizer...Linda Sarsour. She's an advocate for Sharia Law in America as well as a friend of Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Abortion is Haram in Islam except under very extreme circumstances...and then only before a given time period is up.

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Really?  Educating people about birth control - which reduces pregnancy more effectively than abstinence education - is the same as making sure pregnancies can be aborted?  

8 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's especially puzzling seeing who is the march's organizer...Linda Sarsour. She's an advocate for Sharia Law in America as well as a .....

I know its hard to wrap you brain around the notion that very few Muslims actually fit into the stereotype you think they should.   

2 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Well said. You have a better way with words than I do! 

Here's someone with better words:

Wise words from Rabbi Toba Schaller.
"To those who are confused or surprised about why millions of people showed up to protest yesterday. . .
"Women are marching because our children deserve a secretary of education that cares about education.
"Women are marching because our family and friends deserve healthcare. Did you know that before the ACA, newborns in the NICU would hit their lifetime caps on health insurance coverage. That's right, babies who had never felt the sun on their skin could no longer get health insurance.
"Women are marching because domestic violence crisis centers and after school programs deserve funding.
"Women are marching because we deserve clean air, clean water, and national parks.
"Women are marching because we believe the children protected by the DREAM act deserve to be here and they deserve to live with their parents, not in orphanages and foster homes.
"And most of all, women are marching because we have the right to. The right to protest and speak out against our government is the first amendment. That's right, #1! It is one of our most fundamental American rights.
"Saying that we're whining, throwing temper tantrums, or that we're immature, or that we need to get over it will not stop us. It will not stop us from fighting for you. And we are fighting for you because you deserve these rights too.
"We're not marching because Trump won.
"We're marching because he wants to take all of the things that we hold dear away. All of the things that we've been fighting for for generations.
"And we're not giving up easily.
"Anyone who thinks we're marching because we lost just simply isn't listening. We're fighting because we refuse to lose more."

Rabbi Toba Schaller

31 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I know its hard to wrap you brain around the notion that very few Muslims actually fit into the stereotype you think they should.   

While you might approve of Linda Sarsour and her quest to have Sharia rule the land, she is certainly no friend to the feminist movement.

Abstinence education has been proven to work, especially for teens.

Sex education classes that focus on encouraging children to remain abstinent can persuade a significant proportion to delay sexual activity, researchers reported Monday in a landmark study that could have major implications for U.S. efforts to protect young people against unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

Only about a third of sixth- and seventh-graders who completed an abstinence-focused program started having sex within the next two years, researchers found. Nearly half of the students who attended other classes, including ones that combined information about abstinence and contraception, became sexually active.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/01/AR2010020102628.html

15 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

While you might approve of Linda Sarsour and her quest to have Sharia rule the land, she is certainly no friend to the feminist movement.

I know nothing of Linda Sarsour, so I can hardly approve.  I know a little of you, however, so I assume the claim you are making is either completely wrong or a pretzel version of "the truth."

8 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Well, good thing they have a man around to tell them what they want.

Women want abortions. Brilliant.

Let's face it, in getting to the heart of the matter, western women do not care about preventing pregnancies...and they don't care about aborting babies either.  They care that women have that power to do whatever they want.  If they did care about preventing pregnancies, they'd put forth a birth control program, but they don't - why?  Well, because  that would take away that power.  That's all it's about  - Power.  

Unfortunately, the third world women do not have the education or intelligence to handle such responsibilities.  It may sound mean, but many of these people who western women want to empower, have an IQ that we would rate as "handicapped".

Edited by Hal 9000