Women to march against Trump.

1 minute ago, cybercoma said:

What opinion? How about you look up the facts. Look up what he cancelled and look up the change in women's health that it created. There's data and evidence out there. I already told you that signing the executive order would kill thousands of women. That's the truth. They're going to lose access to life-saving medical help. If you don't understand what's been cancelled, then look it up before jumping into the conversation. It's literally front page news on every news site right now. You could even go a step further to read the actual law. I don't need to hold your hand.

Isn't this just a little hyperbolic?

Just now, cybercoma said:

Back to this?

Why provide any humanitarian aid?

That's a valid question. Why indeed? Many people feel that it is their responsibility to help those in need, and those people should feel personally free to contribute as much as they want, and to use their free speech rights to encourage others to donate, as well. But use taxpayer (or worse, borrowed) money to fund programs in other countries when there is plenty of stuff that needs funding at home? Why?

3 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Why is it the American government's job to provide money for healthcare (of whatever type) in other countries? The American government should look after the American people and their interests. As for the many Americans who want to contribute to the well-being of people around the world, they have the opportunity to do so through a wide range of charitable organizations, including both those that provide funding for abortion and those that do not. 

+1   

The very same people demanding U.S. funding for such "humanitarian aid" in foreign countries are the same ones whining about U.S. interventionist policies around the world.

Love American funding...hate their government.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

5 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

No, I want to hear your interpretations of what is actually happening.

Ok, so I looked it up...and it seems that he wants to stop funding abortion clubs.  Just what I thought.

"Abortion clubs"....that disgusting.  Why are abortions treated like private tattoo parlors instead of mainstream health care providers ?

I ain't paying for that.....go Trump !

3 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Why indeed. Ask yourself.

Well, fortunately, I already know my own opinion on the subject. In fact, I've regularly donated to several charitable / non-profit organizations that I believe serve the good of all humankind. And, I certainly respect other people's decisions to do the same. However, I don't think it is the place of government to collect taxes from its citizens or borrow money that its citizens will eventually be burdened with repaying and then distribute that money in other countries, except in cases where it is also in its own citizen's interest (such as reducing the spread of communicable diseases, for example). 

However, I was asking for your reason, not my own. 

Edited by Bonam

You call it abortion clubs, which shows that you don't even understand that it includes STI screenings, amongst other reproductive healthcare. You either 1) don't care about the issue, or 2) are incapable of understanding it. Either way, it's a waste of time to talk about it with you. So that's good, I can just ignore your posts now.

Planned parenthood is all about abortions, the other stuff is just window covering - we all know that.  And, women can go to any clinic for STI screening and every other health issue they have.  PP is not needed for anything other than abortions, I know it and we all know it.  

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Planned parenthood is all about abortions, the other stuff is just window covering - we all know that.  And, women can go to any clinic for STI screening and every other health issue they have.  PP is not needed for anything other than abortions, I know it and we all know it.  

Yup...abortion clinics are abortion mills, otherwise existing health care infrastructure could provide such "care".

Unfortunately, charities can't build the mass to handle certain situations. Government is needed to focus efforts.

Do you have data to support this assertion? I believe the impact of efforts by charities such as the Gates Foundation are comparable in scale to those of governments. 

It's also the only democratic means to accomplishing things on that scale.

It seems far more democratic to me for each individual to contribute what they want to the causes they support (or not) according to their own free will.

You pick the Gates Foundation as if it's not an exception that proves the rule.

I pick the Gates Foundation because it illustrates my point - that significant humanitarian causes can be addressed by private charities, not just governments. 

8 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

The Gates Foundation is notably exceptional in its efforts. You're not picking the average charity. The Gates Foundation as a result undermines your point.

Why would I pick the "average charity"? Who donates to "average charities"? Everyone donates to organizations that they believe are exceptional in furthering the causes that they support. Furthermore, there are many smaller or more local issues that can be addressed by smaller organizations. Going back to your assertion that only governments can "build the mass" to handle certain issues, it only takes one counterexample to demonstrate that the statement is false.

But let's not forget that we're talking about the US government here, which of course has more money than any other government in the world and does more work around the world than any other government, and so is just as "exceptional" as the Gates Foundation. If it wasn't, then it's change in policy in this regard wouldn't be such a big deal. Why are you comparing "average charities" to this exception case of the world's largest government?

Edited by Bonam

1 minute ago, Bonam said:

Why would I pick the "average charity"? Who donates to "average charities"? Everyone donates to organizations that they believe are exceptional in furthering the causes that they support....

Agreed....the United Way campaigns learned long ago that if it gave donors the option of restricting their funding away from abortions it raised more money for charities overall.

36 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

No, I want to hear your interpretations of what is actually happening.

Ok, so I looked it up...and it seems that he wants to stop funding abortion clubs.  Just what I thought.

You do understand that US law already forbids the use of US funds to provide abortions right?

Edited by Omni