Why America First?

eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

How about America Only? How about America just stays home and minds is own business? You know, a really hopey changy difference for a change?

The US doesn't have enough trouble at home it has to go find/make even more just about everywhere it goes?

I think Trump actually did touch on this point.

Why America first?  Because Canada first.  Japan first.  France first.  Germany first, Britain, Italy and Mexico first.  Every nation in the world puts their interests first, whatever those interests may be, to achieve whatever goals they have.  Take China.  Their goal is to take over the South China Sea so they've been building islands further and further out, and then planting the China flag on each one, claiming more international waters.  Canada sent it's Prime Minister to some far flung place so everybody could get a break from him over the Christmas holidays.

The US has been gobbling up land both in Mexico and Canada to meet with their needs.  I can see Washington state from my house!

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

How about America Only? How about America just stays home and minds is own business? You know, a really hopey changy difference for a change?

The US doesn't have enough trouble at home it has to go find/make even more just about everywhere it goes?

Because the world is not a nice place. Bad guys will not mind their own business. Staying home wont protect you, because they'll only come to your house. You might be in your backyard one day, giving your tree a hug and them whammo...

40 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Why America first?  Because Canada first.  Japan first.  France first.  Germany first, Britain, Italy and Mexico first.  Every nation in the world puts their interests first,

Agreed, any government's first duty is to its own citizens.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

How about America just stays home and minds is own business?

While I assume you're probably talking about American "regime change" and support of bad-guy regimes like Saudi Arabia, I think we should also mention American philanthropy, which does tremendous good in the world. Bill Gates alone does charitable work that puts entire countries to shame. American money assists whenever there's a crisis around the world. It seems that wherever there is trouble in the world, people point their fingers and blame America... but when people need help, America is the first place they look to.

-k

Let Canada lead the world with policy and its own treasure if it values such a leadership role by a single nation.  

Let Canada be the first to disaster areas with its military resources.

Let Canada pay for the UN.

Let Canada show the world how to do it better...and pay for it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

This "my country first" is dumb. Sure you want to support your own people, but you live in a world where you need to cooperate with others. The notion that you can screw the rest of the world will only hurt your own people in the end. Dumb rhetoric, swallowed by non thinking masses.

Yeah..it is so "dumb" it won a presidential election.   Non-thinking masses get to vote too.

The U.S. has more trade with far more nations than does Canada.  Cooperate that....

2 hours ago, kimmy said:

Agreed, any government's first duty is to its own citizens.

While I assume you're probably talking about American "regime change" and support of bad-guy regimes like Saudi Arabia, I think we should also mention American philanthropy, which does tremendous good in the world. Bill Gates alone does charitable work that puts entire countries to shame.

-k

No I'm assuming that US interests include being the dominant power on the planet, as others have noted exceptionalism is back, hugely.  Bill Gates is not a Shining Beacon of 'me first'.  I'm assuming US will have to become great again by doing what it did to become great in the past, which was to put itself on steroids and push it's weight around.

American money assists whenever there's a crisis around the world. It seems that wherever there is trouble in the world, people point their fingers and blame America... but when people need help, America is the first place they look to.

I'm willing to bet that a policy of America First has made more lives and places around the world miserable than better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Because the world is not a nice place. Bad guys will not mind their own business. Staying home wont protect you, because they'll only come to your house. You might be in your backyard one day, giving your tree a hug and them whammo...

There's only one country on this planet that could or would do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

These Trump supporters are really living in the 1950s when America was 60% of the world's economy and an American boycott meant something.  Now if Trump tries to bully too many nations, do you know what happens, trade wars, if he gets trade wars, America is just 19% of the world economy, they get economically isolated and cut out, the EU, China, South America, Africa, Russia, Australia, Canada will just trade with each other while USA economy shrinks and becomes irrelevant.  It will hurt at first, but the economies will retool to deal with each other, they just operate like USA never existed.  Trump will implode the US economy, when trade wars tariff the hell out of us exports in retaliation.  What do you think is going to happen when USA tariffs Japan, china, eu cars?  They going to tariff right back and then urge their trade partners to block USA as well.

7 minutes ago, hernanday said:

What do you think is going to happen when USA tariffs Japan, china, eu cars?  They going to tariff right back and then urge their trade partners to block USA as well.

Then it will be just like the good old days before NAFTA and other international trade agreements. That is what Donald Trump said he would do, and it's what he's all about. Don't kid yourself, Trump knows what's gonna happen. In fact he's counting on it.

Such trade agreements didn't exist several decades ago to the extent we have today, yet commerce still took place in those days and people lived better than they do now. Seems those trade agreements really bolster the super rich... the very people you despise. For all your "make the rich pay" banter, you fail to recognize the fact that free trade empowers the wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

9 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Seems those trade agreements really bolster the super rich... the very people you despise. For all your "make the rich pay" banter, you fail to recognize the fact that free trade empowers the wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

So the chance of Trump and his billionaire heavy government cancelling these trade agreements is pretty small, despite what Trump says.