CRA is watching you

Topaz

I'd imagine people would post things about lifestyle on facebook, so if you are claiming 24k income but areliving a lifestyle that is a 240k income, then cra might investigate you.  As for why someone would be so dumb, criminals are dumb. Also what is the point of having so much money if you cannot rub it in your friends face and make them jealous?  People only buy giant houses to show how big and rich and important I am.

Edited by H10

41 minutes ago, hernanday said:

I'd imagine people would post things about lifestyle on facebook, so if you are claiming 24k income but areliving a lifestyle that is a 240k income, then cra might investigate you.  As for why someone would be so dumb, criminals are dumb. Also what is the point of having so much money if you cannot rub it in your friends face and make them jealous?  People only buy giant houses to show how big and rich and important I am.

Yes I imagine peoples egos often overtake their intelligence, even when it comes to social media. 

Seems the chivatos are watching you, and of course leftists have no problem with it. I already fill out a T4 and sign it swearing it to be the truth, and understand it is a criminal offence to make a false statement on the form. Why should anything I say online be taken as "evidence" by the CRA? I could be bullshitting people online about how much money I make, to impress somebody. Why should the CRA chivatos spend time and money to read my posts? Why are taxes out of control in this country, and the returns for paying them getting smaller and smaller? Because leftism.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Seems the chivatos are watching you, and of course leftists have no problem with it. I already fill out a T4 and sign it swearing it to be the truth, and understand it is a criminal offence to make a false statement on the form. Why should anything I say online be taken as "evidence" by the CRA? I could be bullshitting people online about how much money I make, to impress somebody. Why should the CRA chivatos spend time and money to read my posts? Why are taxes out of control in this country, and the returns for paying them getting smaller and smaller? Because leftism.

Because alot of drug dealers and criminals and tax evaders are getting caught spending more money than they are reporting, so the cRA is catching them.  That is the price you pay for being stupid.

Because Harper gutted the tax laws so corporations don't pay the taxes they use to, and now the regular joes have to start covering their tax bills hence our increased taxes.  Even John Tory, the conservative is increasing taxes all over toronto.  Its notleftism, it is corporate entities buying out the government on both sides, John Tory and Harper are proof of it, they both raised taxes, both are conservatives.

1 hour ago, hernanday said:

Because alot of drug dealers and criminals and tax evaders are getting caught spending more money than they are reporting, so the cRA is catching them.  That is the price you pay for being stupid.

Because Harper gutted the tax laws so corporations don't pay the taxes they use to, and now the regular joes have to start covering their tax bills hence our increased taxes.  Even John Tory, the conservative is increasing taxes all over toronto.  Its notleftism, it is corporate entities buying out the government on both sides, John Tory and Harper are proof of it, they both raised taxes, both are conservatives.

-> "Because Harper gutted the tax laws so corporations don't pay the taxes they use to, and now the regular joes have to start covering their tax bills hence our increased taxes."

We didn't cover their tax bills. The Canadian government doesn't need MORE money, they need to be made to stop wasting it, because they have gone beyond the point where more money would be helpful. It only proves what I've said all along, the system is broken. There are all sorts of government agencies full of useless people with fake jobs. They have been entrenched in those jobs for decades, with no accountability. Incremental government bloat and inefficiency is the hallmark of leftism: "more government is good". The CRA is but one example of why we really need to "drain the swamp" in Canada as well.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

-> "Because Harper gutted the tax laws so corporations don't pay the taxes they use to, and now the regular joes have to start covering their tax bills hence our increased taxes."

We didn't cover their tax bills. The Canadian government doesn't need MORE money, they need to be made to stop wasting it, because they have gone beyond the point where more money would be helpful. It only proves what I've said all along, the system is broken. There are all sorts of government agencies full of useless people with fake jobs. They have been entrenched in those jobs for decades, with no accountability. Incremental government bloat and inefficiency is the hallmark of leftism: "more government is good". The CRA is but one example of why we really need to "drain the swamp" in Canada as well.

We are, because harper raised income taxes.  There is no way money will stop being wasted because the politicians are financed by business interest whose main income is government waste.  The only way that could occur is to have independently wealthy and unwilling to be bought off candidates with high charisma like Rob Ford, and they don't last long because the entire council, government, media, and business class work against them to bring them down.  So in the real world, government waste won't stop, tax the businesses because they are the primary beneficiaries of government.  Government bloat is the hallmark of all governments, Harper had a majority and ballooned the deficit and increased the size of government, he took a huge surplus and turned it into a mega deficit and ran up the debt.

It is impossible to drain the swamp because the politicians are the swamp monsters and the business class if filling it.  Most rich people are greedy, they get rich by being tightwads and greedy.  Thus most rich candidates are just there to enrich themselves and their donors.  Its not really possible to eliminate corruption from politics because the candidates are financed by business men who want something in return.

I see this as being not too different from when the Vancouver rioters who posted pictures of loot they stole from shops on their Facebook profiles, or people who posted selfies of themselves smashing cars and property. If you're going to tell the tax man how poor you are, don't show off your bling on social media. If you're collecting long term disability, don't show off your epic snowboarding adventures on social media.

Pro-tip: don't cheat on your taxes.

-k

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

Is a Facebook picture admissible as evidence? 

For sure. Social services here in Manitoba routinely catches welfare fraud because people post the evidence online for the investigators to see. Some of them post so much that you can collect far more than what you'd get if you spend the time and money on physical surveillance.

16 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You say something dumb, someone notices, then there is an investigation, then they take your stuff.  Pay your taxes.

You cant expect the government to not listen to what basically amount to public statements. In order to have a reasonable expectation of privacy there needs to be a basis for it. So for example a private message on facebook (or an email on gmail) should require a court issued warrant for the government to even get their hands on. But if you blast stuff on the internet out to the public the government should be able to read it just like anyone else can.

Read and understand the TOU of services you use. If you need to talk about illegal activities online than use a secure E2E service. I use Pidgin for planning all my terrorist attacks, murders, robberies, tax evasion strategies, etc.

The government is allowed to use your information unless you have reason to expect that its private. If you do they need a warrant. If they just browse facebook the way an ordinary person would,  than thats legal. But if they convince facebook to give them data they would not normally see without a warrant they are breaking the law. Governments hate your privacy and love getting at your private data. That's why we have things like FISA in the US, and the government granting "after the fact" immunity to telecoms that allow warrantless taps. For now though the law does offer you SOME protection.

Edited by dre

To expand on this a little more....

Facebook users may be convinced that they "own" whatever content they post to Facebook, but the legal reality is a little bit different.

If you read Facebook's legal terms of service, you'll find that "[y]ou own all of the content and information you post on Facebook," but with some very specific and important caveats.

So what does it mean to legally "own" your Facebook posts?

Your Words and Information

While Facebook may say that you "own" your posts, it turns out that much of the legal impact of your ownership boils down to your privacy settings. Facebook is constantly making changes to its privacy policy, but the bottom line is this: Whatever words or information you post under the "Public" setting are fair game for anyone to use.

That means if you share your recipe on Facebook, and celebrity chef Bobby Flay decides to appropriate it for his next cookbook, you won't be getting any royalties. This is partially because recipes generally aren't available for copyright, but most of your posts containing words and information aren't either.

Your Photos and Videos

Facebook users have slightly more rights to the photos and videos which you post to the site, as those works are easier to protect via copyright. However, Facebook's terms allow them "a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook." In layman's terms, Facebook has license to use the photos and videos you post (which you own) in any way it sees fit, without paying you, and it can transfer that license to third parties.

Typically, you could sue a company like Facebook for using your image without your permission (or without paying you) under your rights of publicity. But by joining Facebook, you've essentially given the company carte blanche to do what it will with your images and videos, not to mention whomever Facebook decides to share your media with.

8 hours ago, hernanday said:

We are, because harper raised income taxes.  There is no way money will stop being wasted because the politicians are financed by business interest whose main income is government waste.  The only way that could occur is to have independently wealthy and unwilling to be bought off candidates with high charisma like Rob Ford, and they don't last long because the entire council, government, media, and business class work against them to bring them down.  So in the real world, government waste won't stop, tax the businesses because they are the primary beneficiaries of government.  Government bloat is the hallmark of all governments, Harper had a majority and ballooned the deficit and increased the size of government, he took a huge surplus and turned it into a mega deficit and ran up the debt.

It is impossible to drain the swamp because the politicians are the swamp monsters and the business class if filling it.  Most rich people are greedy, they get rich by being tightwads and greedy.  Thus most rich candidates are just there to enrich themselves and their donors.  Its not really possible to eliminate corruption from politics because the candidates are financed by business men who want something in return.

We will never solve these problems completely, and whenever progress is made they always find a way to creep back in, because of human greed. But it's necessary to oppose it, to try and minimize it. This is a fight that goes back centuries, and never ends.

Rich people need not be seen as inherently "evil", if we make a system that ensures reasonable fairness.

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

We will never solve these problems completely, and whenever progress is made they always find a way to creep back in, because of human greed. But it's necessary to oppose it, to try and minimize it. This is a fight that goes back centuries, and never ends.

Rich people need not be seen as inherently "evil", if we make a system that ensures reasonable fairness.

Rich people behave in an evil manner, that is how most get rich, you ain't getting rich by being some  model citizen, the bible recognizies this, it is easier for a camel to run through the eye of a needle.... Rich people don't want fairness, they want an advantage.  Get that through your thick skull, I deal with rich people everyday, I live in a neighbourhood, where the average house goes for over $8 million, rich people don't want fairness, they want an advantage over everyone else. They pay of politicians to get it.

On January 20, 2017 at 6:28 PM, cybercoma said:

I'm sure it happens, but the vast majority of welfare "fraud" occurs due to simple paperwork mistakes. To say they routinely catch people on social media defrauding the welfare system is inconsistent with the data.

I know the people who are catching the fraudsters -- they are BUSY. Blatant outright fraud is rampant.