CPC 2017: Bernier vs Alexander

Who will lead the federal Conservatives in June 2017?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:13 AM, Newfoundlander said:

At least Trudeau worked outside the walls of parliament. Scheer is a light weight and will be destroyed by Trudeau. Hopefully, the CPC will smarten up so the religious right doesn't win the leadership again.

Why the hate,because harper yrs back called the east out on the UI thingy?? He was right.

On 2017-05-29 at 9:13 AM, Newfoundlander said:

Hopefully, the CPC will smarten up so the religious right doesn't win the leadership again.

I'm curious to know where would you position Muslim or Sikh MPs on this "religious" scale of yours? Religious left? Religious centre? Or Religious right?

5 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

I prefer my leader's to believe it equal rights and not be afraid of allowing caucus members to speak up because you're afraid of showing how out of touch you are. 

Trudeau isn't afraid to have caucus members speak up! Because if you don't agree with Trudeau you don't get to be a candidate for the Liberal party.

Of course, the same goes for the NDP. No disagreement with the Great Leader is allowed in left wing parties.

Edited by Argus

3 hours ago, PIK said:

Why the hate,because harper yrs back called the east out on the UI thingy?? He was right.

There's a reason why Newfoundland has the fattest people in Canada - they do just enough work - when they bother - to qualify for pogey - then it's back sitting around sucking down beer and complaining about the weather.

Edited by Argus

Hmmmmm "I don't want you in my party." vs. "Can you just keep quiet about that so we can get elected?"  Which one sounds better is what you're asking?

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

Trudeau isn't afraid to have caucus members speak up! Because if you don't agree with Trudeau you don't get to be a candidate for the Liberal party.

Of course, the same goes for the NDP. No disagreement with the Great Leader is allowed in left wing parties.

Just now, Bob Macadoo said:

Hmmmmm "I don't want you in my party." vs. "Can you just keep quiet about that so we can get elected?"  Which one sounds better is what you're asking?

And again, where is the evidence Tory pro lifers weren't allowed to voice their opinions? They certainly spoke up at anti-abortion rallies often enough. I'm sure they spoke up in caucus too.

I wish more party leaders would ostracize those that do not align with your party platform.....especially societal issues.  IMO this is why these views still hold water as generation over generation they are allowed to fester in the corner getting sunlight once in awhile to survive.  If leaders put those characters to pasture those ideas would wilt much faster as they should.  Unfortunately greed overcomes that with gaining whatever power that festering mass in the corner can add to their own.

11 minutes ago, Argus said:

And again, where is the evidence Tory pro lifers weren't allowed to voice their opinions? They certainly spoke up at anti-abortion rallies often enough. I'm sure they spoke up in caucus too.

9 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

I wish more party leaders would ostracize those that do not align with your party platform....

The Conservatives don't make politics a matter of private morality a matter of government fiat. They don't have a party platform related to abortion or gay rights.

.especially societal issues.  IMO this is why these views still hold water as generation over generation they are allowed to fester in the corner getting sunlight once in awhile to survive.  If leaders put those characters to pasture those ideas would wilt much faster as they should.  Unfortunately greed overcomes that with gaining whatever power that festering mass in the corner can add to their own.

So if someone has beliefs you don't like all political leaders should ostracize those people, even if thirty or forty percent of the public also holds those views?

The Left talks much about tolerance, but the one thing they won't tolerate is people having different opinions and beliefs!

Edited by Argus

They used to have moral aspects in their platform......guess why it was removed?

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

The Conservatives don't make politics a matter of private morality a matter of government fiat. They don't have a party platform related to abortion or gay rights.

So if someone has beliefs you don't like all political leaders should ostracize those people, even if thirty or forty percent of the public also holds those views?

I would like any party I'd vote for to ostracize those people.  They can run for a party that proudly stakes a claim on that ideal and see where they fall.  I just don't like party leaders who say "We're a big tent" but they really mean is "I hate what they say but I need them to hold onto power".  Both Red & Blue.

6 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

They used to have moral aspects in their platform......guess why it was removed?

Because Harper's only real religion was power.

The Liberals used to have them too. Very recently, too. Not that they ever paid attention to anything related to morality - or ethics.

I would like any party I'd vote for to ostracize those people.  They can run for a party that proudly stakes a claim on that ideal and see where they fall.  I just don't like party leaders who say "We're a big tent" but they really mean is "I hate what they say but I need them to hold onto power".  Both Red & Blue.

I don't think a lot of Conservatives hate what they say. I don't. I think they're wrong in most cases. I wouldn't mind some law on abortion, similar, perhaps, to what they have in Sweden or France. I think the transgender thing is a massive, frantic waste of time and effort by shrill, stupid people who are always desperate to be seen as embracing every progressive fashion. And I don't care if gays want to marry as long as no religious group is forced to marry them. But if you want to disagree politely I'm like <shrug>. Religious people, those too devoted to whatever their religion is, tend to make me roll my eyes, but they're usually not harmful.  So-cons don't anger me nearly as much as those freaks on the left who wear black masks and hoodies and bully, assault and scream insults at anyone with a different opinion.

Edited by Argus

.....well I always hear about this "silent majority" that's always ready to take over.

Silent majorities rarely take over. It's the vocal, fanatic minorities that tend to get their way - unfortunately.

Whew.....I was kinda worried....troops in the streets....it was on a commercial I saw once......scared me. B)

That's because you don't understand the world. You're just a lousy 7. I'm a 323. I know better.

......I knew there was a reason why I felt so shameful and yet at the same time offended......like a wilting flower or delicate snowflake......it was the post rating....who would've thought.

11 minutes ago, Argus said:

That's because you don't understand the world. You're just a lousy 7. I'm a 323. I know better.

21 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

......I knew there was a reason why I felt so shameful and yet at the same time offended......like a wilting flower or delicate snowflake......it was the post rating....who would've thought.

28 minutes ago, Argus said:

haha!!  You take those numbers seriously as an indication to your brilliance. Omg. Take a closer look.  Most of the posters with high numbers are rightwingers. 

It's a ridiculous way to measure understanding of the world. 

15 hours ago, Argus said:

Well Harper did the same thing and Scheer says he plans to do the exact same thing. 

17 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

haha!!  You take those numbers seriously as an indication to your brilliance. Omg. Take a closer look.  Most of the posters with high numbers are rightwingers. 

It's a ridiculous way to measure understanding of the world. 

Says the puny 13... :lol:

Edited by Argus

3 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

Well Harper did the same thing and Scheer says he plans to do the exact same thing. 

Untrue. If Harper had done the thing his whole caucus would have been anti-abortion, like he was. You had lots in caucus who were pro choice, lots who were pro gay marriage, lots who were both pro and anti death penalty, etc. etc.