CPC 2017: Bernier vs Alexander

Who will lead the federal Conservatives in June 2017?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

How is he not. Polling shows the Liberals over 40%.

I'm not a fan of Trudeau and I think there are many people who supported him who have been somewhat disappointed. I disagree that he's out of his league. Maybe I just had low expectations but I think he has performed okay. Although many of his policy decisions -  which don't seem unpopular - I disagree with.

It is a style over substance government which relies on photo-ops, cheesy, feel-good progressive actions like appointing large numbers of women and minorities to various posts (whether qualified or not) and borrowing a lot of money to please the beneficiaries of that largess. It is a government for people who don't think about the future and don't care about the future.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 1:30 PM, Argus said:

How do you judge someone lazy upon a brief meeting? Why would you say someone who is of average height is short? Why would you describe him as genuine and good but say he'd never beat Trudeau?

Scheer was sitting, texting - rather than shaking hands.

I am of average height, and I am short - in G-7 terms. Justin Trudeau is taller than most in the G-7.

Among the Conservative candidates I met/spoke to, O'Toole was genuine. But he won't beat Trudeau Jnr. in 2019. (Kellie Leitch was a wiry, duracell unelectable bunny.  I digress... )

Heck, I reckon no Conservative candidate can beat Trudeau Jnr in 2019. He's at +40 in the polls. Even Trudeau Snr never got back-to-back majorities but his son apparently will.

Edited by August1991

45 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Heck, I reckon no Conservative candidate can beat Trudeau Jnr in 2019. He's at +40 in the polls. Even Trudeau Snr never got back-to-back majorities but his son apparently will.

JT is disappointing a lot of people.  If Cons elect someone closer to Chong than Leitch, they might have a fighting chance.

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

JT is disappointing a lot of people.  If Cons elect someone closer to Chong than Leitch, they might have a fighting chance.

Chong?

Next federal ballot: 1) Crazy Left/Tax/Soviet: NDP/Venezuela - 2) Moderate left/Tax: Liberal/Obamacare - 3) Less Left/Tax more: Progressive Conservative, Chong: Unsustainable Sweden 

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

LOL.  Maybe so.

Norway and Sweden seem great, co-operative; but they are unsustainable societies.

To start, Norway does not use the euro and is not part of the EU - but it is a NATO member. Sweden is not a member of NATO but it's a member of the EU.

Go figure.

15 hours ago, August1991 said:

Among the Conservative candidates I met/spoke to, O'Toole was genuine. But he won't beat Trudeau Jnr. in 2019. (Kellie Leitch was a wiry, duracell unelectable bunny.  I digress... )

O'Toole was the guy I gave my first vote to. Or maybe my second... I kept flipflopping back and forth and now I honestly don't remember. You might be right that nobody from among this group is going to beat Trudeau in the near term. He's bribing his way to success and as long as the economy holds up somewhat under his heavy taxes and stifling bureaucracy, well, Canadians like being bribed. Especially the ones in Atlantic Canada. But the bills are going to come due, and then Canadians will be "Hey! I'm expected to pay for this!?" 

Edited by Argus

21 hours ago, Argus said:

It is a style over substance government which relies on photo-ops, cheesy, feel-good progressive actions like appointing large numbers of women and minorities to various posts (whether qualified or not) and borrowing a lot of money to please the beneficiaries of that largess. It is a government for people who don't think about the future and don't care about the future.

Even the left wing media is catching on to Trudeau's cheesy staged photo-ops and admitting he's manipulating them.

Stop running from the truth: Justin Trudeau is playing us with his PR stunts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/26/justin-trudeau-jogging-yoga-shirtless-photos-pr-stunts

17 hours ago, dialamah said:

I don't think Chong has a chance because of his carbon tax.  Don't know how Leitch is doing.  She may be in the top three or four.   The media are reporting Bernier is in the lead. 

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, -1=e^ipi said:

First Round of Voting:
Bernier 29%
Scheer 22%

I think Scheer might win it, unfortunately...

Why unfortunately? Seems likeable enough. I think I prefer O'Toole, but either will do. Bernier might too. I think I like a lot of his ideas.

Not good luck it will be decided on the 13th ballot, though.

5 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

A social conservative that wants to keep supply management. What's to like?

They all want to keep supply management except Bernier. And I doubt Bernier would be able to get rid of it easily. Quebec is mighty attached to it.

As for being a social conservative, so was Harper. He didn't do anything about it.

Just now, Argus said:

They all want to keep supply management except Bernier. And I doubt Bernier would be able to get rid of it easily. Quebec is mighty attached to it.

As for being a social conservative, so was Harper. He didn't do anything about it.

And Harper lost to Trudeau. Not everyone wants to vote for a Social Conservative. I certainly didn't vote for Harper.

Just now, -1=e^ipi said:

And Harper lost to Trudeau. Not everyone wants to vote for a Social Conservative. I certainly didn't vote for Harper.

Harper didn't lose because of his social conservative views. He lost because people were tired of his decade old government and it's 'angry' style.

8-10 years is the usual time-range after which people get fed up with the government, no matter how good or bad the government has been, and people vote for the change just for the sake of change.

Probably the same thing happened in your country when you voted for the Liberals and Justin Trudeau. The previous guy had been there far too long.

18 minutes ago, Argus said:

Harper didn't lose because of his social conservative views. He lost because people were tired of his decade old government and it's 'angry' style.

He lost due to a number of factors. Being social conservative is one factor that did not help. Also, Canada is less social conservative than it was a decade ago. So as time goes by, having a social conservative in power becomes a bigger liability.

Oh well, looks like Trudeau wins in 2019.

7 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

He lost due to a number of factors. Being social conservative is one factor that did not help. Also, Canada is less social conservative than it was a decade ago. So as time goes by, having a social conservative in power becomes a bigger liability.

Oh well, looks like Trudeau wins in 2019.

I'm not sure about how social conservative Canada is. But they vote. Very conscientious people.

I don't think he won for that reason, though. I voted for him and it was despite his social conservative views.

Just now, Argus said:

Former house speaker. He's a sort of happier, smilier version of Harper.

I'm just reading about him.  Good choice?  I havene't been keeping up, I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I'm just reading about him.  Good choice?  I havene't been keeping up, I'm afraid.

For me he was 1-2 or maybe 2-1 with O'Toole. I preferred O'Toole's experience but I thought Scheer performed better in public. It's interesting he had so much support in Quebec. Nearly as much as Bernier.

Edited by Argus

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

I'm not sure about how social conservative Canada is. But they vote. Very conscientious people.

I don't think he won for that reason, though. I voted for him and it was despite his social conservative views.

The social conservatives are certainly more politically organized, just like the social justice warriors are. This means that they can win party leaderships, but the choice their prefer tends to hurt the party when it comes to a federal election.