CPC 2017: Bernier vs Alexander

Who will lead the federal Conservatives in June 2017?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

If he doesn't make it into the top two I'd say his supporters would likely go to Bernier.

Based on what? (I'm curious, and would like to think you're right....what with being a Bernier cheerleader)

13 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Based on what? (I'm curious, and would like to think you're right....what with being a Bernier cheerleader)

Just my opinion. I think they have similar economic messages to an extent and are in-line on social issues. Although the three candidates are quite different, I've seen a bit of overlap in support for Bernier and Chong and to a lesser extent O'Leary. Many of their supporters are looking for a candidate who's bolder on policy and different than Harper. Scheer and O'Toole could be well positioned for a final two spot but would O'Leary go to them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundlander said:

Just my opinion. I think they have similar economic messages to an extent and are in-line on social issues. Although the three candidates are quite different, I've seen a bit of overlap in support for Bernier and Chong and to a lesser extent O'Leary.

Interesting.......though I fully agree they all are "socially liberal", I'd question if that is where the similarities end........Bernier has my full support, and will be first on my ballot (and most of my family's ballots), but I have zero intention of marking down either O'Leary or Chong.

1 hour ago, Newfoundlander said:

Many of their supporters are looking for a candidate who's bolder on policy and different than Harper. Scheer and O'Toole could be well positioned for a final two spot but would O'Leary go to them?

Funny enough, O'Toole and then Scheer are my next picks.....after that, I probably won't mark anyone else.....

For myself, and my family, "Mad Max" is our party "outsider", the chance to shake things up etc........with the full knowledge that O'Toole and Scheer have the support of the elected party members, resulting in gaining the full support of caucus far sooner once made leader......

I still think O'Leary would be a disaster for party unity....

56 minutes ago, Newfoundlander said:

O'Leary is dropping out this evening to endorse Bernier.

We'll have to see where this goes. I'm not horrified by the prospect of Bernier as PM and O'Leary as finance minister.

But I have to admit I'm reflexively opposed to yet another Quebec leader. None of them have been any damned good.

I'm still probably going to vote for either O'Toole or Scheer.

Edited by Argus

Got this email from Scheer today. So who will get O'Leary's support?

A poll of over 2,000 members conducted by Mainstreet Research released today shows:

O'Leary - 26.3%
Scheer - 16.7%
Bernier - 14.2%
O'Toole - 7.8%

5 hours ago, Argus said:

But I have to admit I'm reflexively opposed to yet another Quebec leader. None of them have been any damned good.

Mad Max is different.........Bernier would will be the first Canadian Prime Minister, from Quebec, in decades not beholden to Power Corp........Bernier is cut from the same cloth as the old Social Credit Party, a Party more associated with the West than old Canada, but that always had a dedicated following within Quebec........he is a small "l" Libertarian, a belief more associated with individualism and personal responsibility.......as is said of him, he is at his core a Westerner but born in Quebec.......there is a reason he is picking up endorsements from members of the Wild Rose party.

Bernier is an actual fiscal conservative, but isn't a social conservative, and will bring about fresh ideas that Canada needs in the 21st century.

Edited by Derek 2.0

4 hours ago, Argus said:

Got this email from Scheer today. So who will get O'Leary's support?

That's the tough one.....I suspect that many new members joined to vote for O'Leary......if said supporters still vote, I would think Bernier and to a lesser extent Leitch.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:33 PM, Derek 2.0 said:

Despite such polls, O'Leary has to sign up a whole bunch of voters over the next two months.........and I wouldn't be surprised, like he himself has suggested, if he bows out and plays "kingmaker" once it becomes apparent he won't win......or he gets bored.

And said "King" is Bernier....

10 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Mad Max is different.........Bernier would will be the first Canadian Prime Minister, from Quebec, in decades not beholden to Power Corp........Bernier is cut from the same cloth as the old Social Credit Party, a Party more associated with the West than old Canada, but that always had a dedicated following within Quebec........he is a small "l" Libertarian, a belief more associated with individualism and personal responsibility.......as is said of him, he is at his core a Westerner but born in Quebec.......there is a reason he is picking up endorsements from members of the Wild Rose party.

Bernier is an actual fiscal conservative, but isn't a social conservative, and will bring about fresh ideas that Canada needs in the 21st century.

I don't see how he could ever win an election. 

Oh joy.  O'Leary and his adhd got bored. Now he's backing Bernier the man with a bladder where his brain should be.

Good God. That is what the Tories are hanging their hat on-this idiot who can barely get one foot in front of the other when he

walks. What because he's a French Quebecer they think that's what it takes to win?

Canadian politics are painful. I think I may have to run.

Oh wait but there's Dr. Leech and Bonnie Raitt. One sucks blood, the other just sucks,

Oh but Ding Dong Chong there's a world leader. He'll put Trump in his place.

Have I missed anyone of note? For God's sakes at this point have Celine Dion run.

6 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

I don't see how he could ever win an election. 

Because he has support in quebec and very well liked out west. For me I think I will vote max then o'toole then scheer. But I can still change my mind. 

16 minutes ago, PIK said:

Because he has support in quebec and very well liked out west. For me I think I will vote max then o'toole then scheer. But I can still change my mind. 

He's a block head. He is painfully stupid when pressed on issues.

33 minutes ago, PIK said:

So you think he can beat Trudeau by advocating for a 30% reduction in the size of government? The west will probably vote Conservative as usual but I don't see how Bernier's current platform will resonate with the people who decide elections.

He'll be like the NDP.

17 minutes ago, Newfoundlander said:

So you think he can beat Trudeau by advocating for a 30% reduction in the size of government?

The promise to reduce the public service is in large measure what killed Hudak in Ontario in 2014.

Tim Hudak says he would lay off 100,000 civil servants

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/05/09/tim_hudak_says_he_would_lay_off_100000_civil_servants.html

Let's not go there until you're in office.

6 hours ago, PIK said:

How do you know he has support in Quebec? I know that he's a Quebecer and a Frenchman, but how do we know most Quebecers don't hate him?

14 hours ago, Argus said:

How do you know he has support in Quebec? I know that he's a Quebecer and a Frenchman, but how do we know most Quebecers don't hate him?

By paying attention?