How many Vacations?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, PIK said:

So Trudeau gets up and tells everyone that he will answer any question about his trip to anyone that asks, then when he is asked ''Have you ever vacationed with the Khan before'' He skipped it.  This is the worst PM we ever had.

That might be a bit of hyperbole.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 9:34 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

Could you elaborate more on this? Perhaps with links to back it up?

I found the snubbing of Dion bizarre. Dion seemed to be one of the most qualified and competent people in Trudeau's cabinet.

i apologize I did not see your request until now. I was not ignoring you.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/09/26/whats-going-on-with-stephane-dion/

http://tibet.net/2016/10/stephane-dion-china-tries-to-prevent-visits-of-canadian-diplomats-to-tibet/

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1431271-wells-dion-has-always-cramped-liberal-style

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/01/12/dion-a-great-canadian-dishonoured-by-trudeau.html

On 1/10/2017 at 9:34 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

Dion seemed to be one of the most qualified and competent people in Trudeau's cabinet.

I think that Stéphane Dion is very much an intellectual, and sometimes that can rub people the wrong way. In politics, diplomacy is as important and often more so. The smarter you are, the more diplomatic you also need to be. It seems the buffoons can get away without any diplomacy skills as well. 

4 minutes ago, overthere said:

I see Dion as an earnest, poor sad guy who is utterly ineffectual at getting things done.  He is the big wet earnest stain on the pavement after the steamroller has passed kind of guy.

I've always thought of Dion as the lead singer of the old Belmonts. Shows you how famous Canadian politicians REALLY are...

7 hours ago, Smallc said:

And what if he is (he's not)?

Is.

7 hours ago, Smallc said:

That might be a bit of hyperbole.

Truth can still be hyperbolic.

6 hours ago, PIK said:

Trudeau has been in more trouble and screwed up more in 16 months then harper in 10 yrs.

Harper's first scandal was over 6 yrs in and it was one of his minister's. 

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

I think that Stéphane Dion is very much an intellectual, and sometimes that can rub people the wrong way. In politics, diplomacy is as important and often more so. The smarter you are, the more diplomatic you also need to be. It seems the buffoons can get away without any diplomacy skills as well. 

Intellectual? The man who said it wasn't his job to make decisions and it wasn't fair to be expected to? That intellectual?

Oh well there's Justin on my left and there's Garneau on my right
And Mosef is the girl with that I'll be with tonight
And when she asks me which one I love the best
I tear open my shirt I got McKenna on my chest
'Cause I'm the wanderer yeah the wanderer
I roam around around around

• 11 months later...

Well it appears that the federal ethics commissioner says that Trudeau did in fact break guidelines here. I expect a lot of political haymaking in the coming days. Will those who attacked Mary Dawson over the past several months apologize to her?

The sticking point seems to be that between 1983 and 2013, the only contact Trudeau had with the Aga Khan was at Pierre Trudeau`s funeral. There certainly was a relationship between the families, but contact seemed to be reestablished only after Justin became leader of the Liberal party. What constitutes a friend?

Edited by ?Impact

Well it appears that the federal ethics commissioner says that Trudeau did in fact break guidelines here. I expect a lot of political haymaking in the coming days. Will those who attacked Mary Dawson over the past several months apologize to her?

The sticking point seems to be that between 1983 and 2013, the only contact Trudeau had with the Aga Khan was at Pierre Trudeau`s funeral. There certainly was a relationship between the families, but contact seemed to be reestablished only after Justin became leader of the Liberal party. What constitutes a friend?

Does it matter? Accepting a vacation down south for you and your family  at the behest of a guy registered to lobby your government, who has business before your government, is a pretty damned clear conflict. Any idiot ought to have seen that.

Everyone wants to be the PM's friend. According to the ethics commissioner, the friendship part is overruled by the lobbyist part. The PM is not being entirely truthful here when he says he didn't know... evident in his stammering response to questions. I guess he just felt that he was entitled.

Well, its not like other political parties haven't had opportunities to give things like Ethics Commissioners the power to prosecute -  but if something like that might be used against you in the event you felt entitled to a vacation....gives pause to consider I guess.

Of course I still think broken promises should be grounds enough for indictment but apparently I need to give my head a shake and grow up and out of the naive thinking that a politicians promise should actually mean something.

I guess ethics in the hands of the powerful is kind of like democracy in the hands of the powerless, too much is a bad thing. If actions speak louder than words maybe everyone should follow their example and do as they do not as they say.  Greed is good after all isn't it?

Edited by eyeball

On 12/21/2017 at 8:32 AM, OftenWrong said:

Everyone wants to be the PM's friend. According to the ethics commissioner, the friendship part is overruled by the lobbyist part. The PM is not being entirely truthful here when he says he didn't know... evident in his stammering response to questions. I guess he just felt that he was entitled.

The 'friendship' part is overruled by logic and common sense. He met the Aga Khan when he was 15 and Pierre and family stayed with him. He never saw, spoke to or communicated with him again until 30 years later when he became leader of the opposition and suddenly the Aga Khan was there smiling and offering free vacations in paradise.

32 minutes ago, Argus said:

The 'friendship' part is overruled by logic and common sense. He met the Aga Khan when he was 15 and Pierre and family stayed with him. He never saw, spoke to or communicated with him again until 30 years later when he became leader of the opposition and suddenly the Aga Khan was there smiling and offering free vacations in paradise.

No, that is wrong. I suggest you read the report I linked above.

No, that is wrong. I suggest you read the report I linked above.

So in 1983 he would have been 12. Anyone think he developed close ties to the Aga Khan then?

From the report's executive summary.

The Aga Khan developed a friendship with Mr. Trudeau’s father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, in the late 1960s. Justin Trudeau had no personal or private interactions with the Aga Khan and his family between 1983 and April 2013, when he became Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, except for his father’s funeral in 2000.

Edited by Argus

3 minutes ago, Andrew8486 said:

I always love seeing so many right-wing views on these forums.

You folks are exactly right.

We have some left wing views here also. But it's true that there are fewer here advocating for the left than right. For some reason lefties wanted to excuse themselves from civil conversation. 

31 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

For some reason lefties wanted to excuse themselves from civil conversation. 

The problem is that civil conversation is far and few between on the Internet. That is the best thing I like about this site, the only problem I have here is the active poster population is very small.