Brian Pallister to spend 6 - 8 weeks a year in Costa Rica

I look at it a bit differently:   Being Premier is a paid job, and that job should have some holiday provisions.  Where he takes those holidays is of no concern, but taking days he is paid to be on the job, I DO have a problem with.   That said, communications in Costa Rica may well be sufficient for him to carry out his required duties.

Now the little ***** in Ottawa:  I would LOVE to see him take 10 months (or more) a year holiday in Costa Rica, without any phones or computers to distract him. 

Well, I managed to log in to my office from a boat  in the Mekong River system (from Saigon to Siem Reap) and finish up several files.  Sure, I have good staff in the office who I rely on but that's why they get paid the big bucks  

The thing about technology is that some has been around for a long time, like the telephone, and others are based on that technology to make  it possible to conduct business from anywhere in the world. 

Technology: it's a thing. Use it! 

On 2016-12-20 at 6:46 PM, Smallc said:

I think there are a lot of other indications.  He doesn't do anything anyway, so he might as well be gone.

What is he supposed to do, the ndp left the cupboard bare.  He has no money to do anything with.    He has to cut spending and it's going to hurt for a while 

• 2 weeks later...

This on the other hand, I care about:

Records obtained by the Free Press show for the first three months as premier, Pallister had no email communication with any of his senior political staff, including his chief of staff and director of communications.

Moreover, in response to questions from the Free Press, Pallister’s office has disclosed the premier is not receiving any documents once he has left Manitoba to spend weeks at a time in Costa Rica.

----

Baldwin-Valainis said while Pallister is away, he reads briefing notes and writes documents. However, no new documents are being sent to the premier. It is also unclear if the premier has an Internet connection in Costa Rica, as no answer was given when the Free Press asked.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/incommunicado-in-costa-rica-records-show-pallister-doesnt-use-govt-email-409873095.html

Edited by Smallc

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:23 PM, The_Squid said:

A Premier should not be spending 1.5 months of the year in another country.  It's more than a full time job and this is shirking responsibility.   I can see a few days here and there, but while you're in office, you need to be at home working. 

If this was Trudeau or Wynne, CPC partisans here would be setting their hair on fire.  

You oppose his absence because that time in Costa Rica is unproductive and unrelated to the management of government?

How do you feel about 'leaders'  who spend weeks at public relations exercises masquerading as 'town hall' meetings, or lounging on Caribbean beaches, or having paid meetings with foreign business people.  And all at public expense......

The total of all that would at least be in the range of 1.5 months. OK with that I bet.