Massive Container Port in Sydney

drummindiver

A huge announcement was made today in Sydney. The container port that was being pursued was finalized. This means an incredible amount of jobs to a deeply recessed area of Canada. Skilled people as well as unskilled will be coming from all over Canada and the world I imagine. Instead of the Canso Causeway helping people leave, it will be bringing them in.

https://www.ajot.com/news/ports-america-and-sydney-harbour-investment-partners

Edited by Michael Hardner
spelling

Didn't CN sell of the railway many years ago? I believe it changed hands a few times since then, now being owned by an American company. I expect CN will still get revenue after Turo, but there is a big piece of coin they are going to miss out on.

I expect however the economics will still be better for transfer to a smaller container ship, than rail for the bulk of the goods. I don't think that the port of Montreal will loose any business here, but Halifax certainly will. What remains to be seen is how much cargo destined to US ports will transfer through Sydney. Certainly for goods coming from Europe, or via the Suez canal it will be ideally placed. 

7 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I expect however the economics will still be better for transfer to a smaller container ship, than rail for the bulk of the goods. I don't think that the port of Montreal will loose any business here, but Halifax certainly will. What remains to be seen is how much cargo destined to US ports will transfer through Sydney. Certainly for goods coming from Europe, or via the Suez canal it will be ideally placed. 

Exactly. The goods will be transferred to the smaller ships. Short vid showing just how ideal.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

From the link:

" Ports America will manage and operate the terminal for 40 years, providing services such as full stevedore and terminal labor management, terminal operating systems, and maintenance and repair."

Hey, they should change the name of Sydney, NS to Ports America, NS!

The port only a  is only  half the story.

Nova Zone is just as important.

This is part of the presentation before it was awarded. The same video plays as above,  talk starts around 2:37.

Edited by drummindiver

4 hours ago, drummindiver said:

Nova Zone is just as important.

Yes logistics is huge business. The lack of a major airport will affect some of the business for the fastest turnaround from commercial flights. The next level down however can be accommodated with daily cargo flights to several major transfer points, I assume they can push enough business to justify that. Below that of course we have both rail and road transport to the north-east.for about 3 day delivery. The west of course will be better served out of LA or Vancouver. The big question will be down south like Florida, Texas, etc. I suspect there will need to be another facility somewhere in the Gulf for that.

The airport is not adjacent to the logistics area, it is on the other side of Sydney maybe 10-12km away. Now that would be a problem in a major metropolitan area but not so bad here. The runway is descent, maybe not capable of handling the largest heaviest jets but still a very wide variety. Note that New York La Guardia and Washington National airport have similar length runways. They would probably need to upgrade snow clearing equipment, etc. but that would be easily justified. The only real problem with the airport is very few commercial flights.

9 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes logistics is huge business. The lack of a major airport will affect some of the business for the fastest turnaround from commercial flights. 

Not a major airport?

We had friends flying in for a visit. They asked which gate and what door to meet us at. I told them THE door...literally lol.

12 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes logistics is huge business. The lack of a major airport will affect some of the business for the fastest turnaround from commercial flights. The next level down however can be accommodated with daily cargo flights to several major transfer points, I assume they can push enough business to justify that. Below that of course we have both rail and road transport to 

The airport is not adjacent to the logistics area, it is on the other side of Sydney maybe 10-12km away. 

With the amount of work and jobs about to happen maybe a new airport would also be in the works? I spend my summers in NS at my cottage but have to fly from Sydney to Toronto several times for meetings and the flights are always overbooked.

37 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

With the amount of work and jobs about to happen maybe a new airport would also be in the works? I spend my summers in NS at my cottage but have to fly from Sydney to Toronto several times for meetings and the flights are always overbooked.

I don't think the population increase will be anywhere near large enough to justify a new airport. Perhaps the terminal could be enlarged some, but the airport itself is fine. The second runway might be widened, lengthened and have ILS installed but for the most part the primary runway should be fine. Yes, a few more flights could be added but it is never going to become a major airport.

10 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Why aren't tree huggers and eco-terrorists all over this project to try and kill it ?   

Has the environMental impact assessment already been completed ?

Yes,   as well as First Nations consultations and agreements. The short video touches on that, -the talk goes into it.

1 minute ago, drummindiver said:

Sorry....I am under the impression that this terminal expansion has yet to be built.  

The tree huggers like to wait until the most expensive disruption can be mobilized.

Maybe they are too distracted by oil pipelines right now....good time to sneak it in.

17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Sorry....I am under the impression that this terminal expansion has yet to be built.  

The tree huggers like to wait until the most expensive disruption can be mobilized.

Maybe they are too distracted by oil pipelines right now....good time to sneak it in.

It is yet to be built

The dredging is done. Agreements with FN in place. Greenest technology to be impemenTed. .

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I started bur will finish tomorrow. The writer did seem to come out negatively, but that may be my bias. 

I can't find it but I seem to recall reading an article about some shady dealings surrounding the property the property the port is to sit on, but then it's Cape Breton, so that wouldn't be a shock.  But something I do wonder about, some of the highway infrastructure between Sydney and the mainland isn't very good and the roads passes through some small towns who I assume will at some point be inundated with truck traffic, would have made more sense to build this on the Canso Causeway.  I hope, like so many other cape Breton projects, particularly in the Sydney area, that this doesn't turn out to be another DOA scam.

1 hour ago, poochy said:

I can't find it but I seem to recall reading an article about some shady dealings surrounding the property the property the port is to sit on, but then it's Cape Breton, so that wouldn't be a shock.  But something I do wonder about, some of the highway infrastructure between Sydney and the mainland isn't very good and the roads passes through some small towns who I assume will at some point be inundated with truck traffic, would have made more sense to build this on the Canso Causeway.  I hope, like so many other cape Breton projects, particularly in the Sydney area, that this doesn't turn out to be another DOA scam.

Beautiful four lane with median right through Sydney Cape Breton over the Canso Causeway with only 2 small villages to pass through. After the Causeway there only one or two more small villages that slow you down  all the way to Quebec where it gets bigger by hitting the 401. Don't forget in NB the speed limit is higher

One of my best  friends works in an Environmental Engineering firm that worked for the company that did the work. We've all kept an eye. Only shady dealings of  any magnitude are Ont and Quebec. I'd be very interested to see that story.

Edited by drummindiver