Black Rights Activist on Canadian $10 bill

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An unearned honor, given out because the Liberals desperately wanted to puff out their chests by putting someone who isn't white on a dollar bill. Sir John A Macdonald founded Canada. She founded... a beauty school. Whoop de do.

56 minutes ago, Argus said:

An unearned honor, given out because the Liberals desperately wanted to puff out their chests by putting someone who isn't white on a dollar bill. Sir John A Macdonald founded Canada. She founded... a beauty school. Whoop de do.

And she beat Rosa Parks at pushing back at racism *you know, like the kind John A embraced) by about 9 years.  

3 hours ago, Argus said:

There are few other things she did not do, while McDonald did and is known for it:

-Calling the Québécois, dogs

-Hang up an innocent victim of a consipiracy trial: Louis Riel

-Retire the right of chineses to vote

-Racist remarks on natives and considered them not normal

-Involvement in the pacific scandal

5 hours ago, Omni said:

And she beat Rosa Parks at pushing back at racism *you know, like the kind John A embraced) by about 9 years.  

Do you really think there weren't lots of black people who put up a fuss when not allowed to sit in white areas? She's only notorious because she filed a lawsuit (which she lost) against her fine. Aside from that what? Nadda.

Sir John A was a product of his times, as was she. Let's see, a black woman in 1946 Nova Scotia, what do you think she'd have had to say about gays or abortion? Nothing good, I'm certain. The idea of holding up people from past eras to the moral standards of ours is intellectually bankrupt.

2 hours ago, Benz said:

There are few other things she did not do, while McDonald did and is known for it:

-Calling the Québécois, dogs

-Hang up an innocent victim of a consipiracy trial: Louis Riel

-Retire the right of chineses to vote

-Racist remarks on natives and considered them not normal

-Involvement in the pacific scandal

You don't know anything she said or did because she was a nobody, and her remarks weren't of interest to anyone back then and were never recorded.

Macdonald was an imperfect man of his times, but his impact on Canada is massive, especially as compared to a nobody from Nova Scotia.

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

I've killed a few trees in my time so you must have me mixed up with someone else.

No, I'm sure it is you.....and we are not counting when you were learning to drive, anyways you'll always be my favorite.....

3 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

No, I'm sure it is you.....and we are not counting when you were learning to drive, anyways you'll always be my favorite.....

Nope. I've only killed them with an axe, McCulloughs, Stihls, Poulans, Husquvarnas.

These aren't auto-makers by the way.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Many people laud the effort to celebrate brave people who advanced social progress.

I don't think holding people to moral standards of the past is useful, but some morals persist such as bravery and standing up for ones beliefs.

In that case they should put her on the bigger bill and move MacDonald back to the fiver.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Many people laud the effort to celebrate brave people who advanced social progress.

I don't think holding people to moral standards of the past is useful, but some morals persist such as bravery and standing up for ones beliefs.

Brave? It's not like she risked her life here, and she didn't actually advance anything. She was one of any number of people complaining about such things. So? If you want to award the honor to someone brave I'm sure there are some Victoria Cross winners we could put on the dollars - ah, but they're white men, so no good.

MacDonald was more influential and important in the founding of Canada and building it than any other single person. That's something that DESERVES recognition.

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

well stated

51 minutes ago, Argus said:

Brave? It's not like she risked her life here, and she didn't actually advance anything. She was one of any number of people complaining about such things. So? If you want to award the honor to someone brave I'm sure there are some Victoria Cross winners we could put on the dollars - ah, but they're white men, so no good.

MacDonald was more influential and important in the founding of Canada and building it than any other single person. That's something that DESERVES recognition.

He was influential in a very bad way like adolph Hitler, he was not important, because Canada has changed immensely since he was in the country, and this Canada doesn't recognize his racist Anglo white supremacist world view nor would he recognize it.  Macdonald wanted to genocide french, chinese, and anyone else who ain't white, he would not want to be recognized on our money if he saw what our country was.

And if you think refusing to do what police told you to do, being a racial minority in 1950s Canada was not risking your life, you have a very limited understanding of Canadian history, and the strange pattern of African Canadians doing that ending up dead.  It takes alot more courage to stand up to a movie theatre full of people who want to kill you than to go onto a battlefield with a gun where you can at least fight back.

11 minutes ago, hernanday said:

.  It takes alot more courage to stand up to a movie theatre full of people who want to kill you than to go onto a battlefield with a gun where you can at least fight back.

I don't think it does, but then, I've done neither, so I can't be sure.