Merry Christmas.

taxme

I might get a hand full of nonsense thrown at me again for daring to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas. I know that I am not being politically correct here for wishing everyone a Merry Christmas but I will give it a shot.

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.  May Santa Claus be good too you all. Cheers. :)

PS: If I offended anyone here for saying Merry Christmas, well bah humbug too you.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Good point.  Let's put it in... hmmmm.... culture.

I wasn't sure as to where to put this topic at the time. Maybe what is needed here is to have a miscellaneous forum for topics that won't fit into the other forums. Just a thought. 

:)

20 minutes ago, Altai said:

Why do you celebrate the murder of prophet Jesus ?

Good question. I guess that we celebrate Christmas for the joy of giving, which is what Jesus was doing before he was murdered. Also Christmas is a time for families to get together, and be thankful for and celebrating the life of Christ. Plus, watching the children opening their Christmas presents on Christmas Day is a bonus. And next is the big turkey feast. 

But then again why do you celebrate the life of Mohammed. From stories read he was just as much a murderer, right? Just questioning. 

1 hour ago, taxme said:

Good question. I guess that we celebrate Christmas for the joy of giving, which is what Jesus was doing before he was murdered. Also Christmas is a time for families to get together, and be thankful for and celebrating the life of Christ. Plus, watching the children opening their Christmas presents on Christmas Day is a bonus. And next is the big turkey feast. 

But then again why do you celebrate the life of Mohammed. From stories read he was just as much a murderer, right? Just questioning. 

Its a shame that you dont even know why do you celebrate Chrismas. After post here, I have googled it I see Chrismas is to celebrate the born of prophet Jesus, not for the murder of him. If you dont know why do you celebrate a day which has spiritual values for Christians, it means you are not a Christian, you are an atheist who is just interested with some fried turkey legs and expecting someones to give him a gift hoping not to be a book. 

Appreciate the sentiment but a bit early for Xmas wishes...That said the advent calendar is up in our office and there's certainly that feeling of festive mood in the air. 

The religious aspect aside it is a wonderful time for everyone regardless of their religious background to share the joy and respect it. One does not have to be a Christian to celebrate... 

Merry Xmas to you all!

Edited by kactus

There's people who actually put signs on their lawns that say, "Christ is the Reason" at Christmas time. That's how bent out of shape they get that anyone has the audacity to recognize the other holidays that occur at the same time of year or that some people simply don't celebrate Christmas.

13 hours ago, Altai said:

No, that's Easter which can be somber and/or joyous depending on the Christian sect. Dying and resurrecting  and all that leads to complicated feelings. 

Other people celebrate with a big ham/turkey and indulge in chocolate.  This is done to appease pagans so that Christians can claim that a larger proportion of society is Christian since so many celebrate these BS holidays as if any of us give a fig about Jesus. 

49 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

There's people who actually put signs on their lawns that say, "Christ is the Reason" at Christmas time. That's how bent out of shape they get that anyone has the audacity to recognize the other holidays that occur at the same time of year or that some people simply don't celebrate Christmas.

Though I fully concede that Jesus isn't the reason for the season and it's a Pagan celebration because the days are getting longer again, please don't pretend that many other cultures have a huge connection to celebrations at the end of December that are comparable to Christmas. 

I suspect the only reason Hanukkah gets the play it does is because it happens around the same time as Christmas. The big Jewish Holidays are Rosh Hashana, The Passover and Yom Kippur I'd imagine. 

Edited by Boges

12 hours ago, Altai said:

Its a shame that you dont even know why do you celebrate Chrismas. After post here, I have googled it I see Chrismas is to celebrate the born of prophet Jesus, not for the murder of him. If you dont know why do you celebrate a day which has spiritual values for Christians, it means you are not a Christian, you are an atheist who is just interested with some fried turkey legs and expecting someones to give him a gift hoping not to be a book. 

Usually atheists know more about religion than the religious types since we have actually read the Bible and some of us have been exposed to the BS liturgy thanks to the indoctrination of children which starts at an early age.  

So to be this ignorant is more likely a result of being a nominal Christian than an atheist. 

13 hours ago, Altai said:

Easter is a celebration of Jesus' resurrection. He was "murdered" on Good Friday, which is not a celebration. It's a day that's marked by fasting for some Christians. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus for Christians. It has become a commercial holiday for gift giving though. A lot of the symbols and imagery associated with Christmas have become divorced from the original religious intent of the holiday. That's why Christians get pissed.

Edited by cybercoma

6 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Easter is a celebration of Jesus' resurrection. He was "murdered" on Good Friday, which is not a celebration. It's a day that's marked by fasting for some Christians. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus for Christians. It has become a commercial holiday for gift giving though. A lot of the symbols and imagery associated with Christmas have become divorced from the original religious intent of the holiday. That's why Christians get pissed.

It's not the intent of the Holiday though. A Pagan celebration was co-opted by Christians as Christianity grew more popular. It was pragmatism so people could keep their old traditions. Nothing Christian about bringing a tree into a house. 

Not exactly sure where gift-giving came into play actually. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Though I fully concede that Jesus isn't the reason for the season and it's a Pagan celebration because the days are getting longer again, please don't pretend that many other cultures have a huge connection to celebrations at the end of December that are comparable to Christmas. 

I suspect the only reason Hanukkah gets the play it does is because it happens around the same time as Christmas. The big Jewish Holidays are Rosh Hashana, The Passover and Yom Kippur I'd imagine. 

For Canada, it's a secular holiday, not a religious one, unless you happen to be religious in the particular religion that holds it that way.

And Cyber is correct...  99.99% of the time it's Christians angry about Happy Holidays.   I've never seen anyone get upset over the term Merry Christmas.

Christians likely stole the date from the pagans...  so don't get too upset if Jesus ain't the reason for the season for everyone!

One theory to explain the choice of December 25 for the celebration of the birth of Jesus is that the purpose was to Christianize the pagan festival in Rome of the Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, meaning "the birthday of the Unconquered Sun", a festival inaugurated by the Roman emperor Aurelian (270–275) to celebrate the sun god and celebrated at the winter solstice, December 25.[70][71] According to this theory, during the reign of the emperor Constantine (306-337), Christian writers assimilated this feast as the birthday of Jesus, associating him with the "sun of righteousness" mentioned in Malachi 4:2 (Sol Iustitiae).[70][71]

Edited by The_Squid

11 hours ago, kactus said:

Appreciate the sentiment but a bit early for Xmas wishes...

No it's not early. In Germany the christmas tradition starts on Dec 6th, with is St. Nicolas Day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas_Day

I remember my mom giving me a chocolate Santa on that day. :)

35 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

No it's not early. In Germany the christmas tradition starts on Dec 6th, with is St. Nicolas Day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas_Day

I remember my mom giving me a chocolate Santa on that day. :)

This is Canada...   stop ruining the country by importing your crazy ideas/traditions/culture.  It's foreign and un-Canadian.

Edited by The_Squid