Is it productive to ban literature?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome.

Banning books is a pretty dumb way to get a mangled point across but not as dumb as trying to imply that dropping a requirement to study the text in class is the same as banning or burning books as the loon you cited put it.

American school bans Huckleberry Finn from lessons because of 'use of N-word'...

...The Quaker school said the book would remain in its library.

Story

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You're welcome.

Banning books is a pretty dumb way to get a mangled point across but not as dumb as trying to imply that dropping a requirement to study the text in class is the same as banning or burning books as the loon you cited put it.

I think it's dumber.  Way dumber, actually.  It affects a lot more people.

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I think the dumbing affect you're worried about is already here, as manifest in the belief of the OP that the fake news cited is real...to make some mangled point about lefties apparently.

I still think banning books is dumber.  Way dumber.

Edited by bcsapper

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'll go with a little dumber. Its all pretty sad in any case.

I have to admit I didn't read the link.   So I went and read it.  Is it reasonable that a parent should be able to set the curriculum based on what her child thinks of it?  The child could be excused from reading it. There is no reason to deny all the other students the experience. 

Fake news? Censoring literature is a slippery slope

I realize sjws won't see the lessons to be learned due to their blinders. I find the Bible much more racist with their rules of governight slave.

Merchants of Venice uses derogatory Jewish epithets.  I guess we should ban Shakespeare.

Alice Walkers book The Color Purple has also had public debate and calls for it to be banned. 

Why don't we just cancel English classes to ensure we dont offend or frighten.

14 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

No, it is not. If your local library does not carry it, then I suggest downloading a copy from the internet. Either the original or an English translation

Ok, I know. It's not banned by the government but it is banned from most book stores. In many countries it is banned however. The question though is should this literature be banned.

Edited by OftenWrong
mispelled "it"

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The question though is should this literature be banned.

No, it should not. The librarian is wrong, and this appears to be her issue because she didn't like that many people were borrowing it. Sorry, but that is what a public library is about, and if the book is popular then it might be time to consider purchasing another copy. If she were doing her job as a librarian, then she might want to recommend many of the other books on Hitler or specifically Mein Kampf that discuss it from alternative viewpoints. Your local librarian or library board is not doing it's job. Generally library boards have regular meetings where you can bring up this issue.

9 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Ok, I know. It's not banned by the government but it is banned from most book stores. In many countries it is banned however. The question though is should this literature be banned.

No, it shouldn't be. Public libraries are an interesting case and individual librarians should not be making those kinds of decisions. No library can carry everything and whether Mein Kampf qualifies as literature is certainly debatable. I think they should carry it just because it is an important historical document. Book stores on the other hand have to be free to sell what they choose. Chapters Indigo made some waves a few years back when they said they wouldn't carry it. Can't say for certain but if I was Jewish and owned a book store, I probably wouldn't carry it either.

2 hours ago, drummindiver said:

Fake news? Censoring literature is a slippery slope

Yes fake news, no one has censored anything.

I realize sjws won't see the lessons to be learned due to their blinders.

What lessons and sjw's are you talking about? You still appear to see something everyone else has missed.

I find the Bible much more racist with their rules of governight slave.

Your source of news is no less ignorant. What the heck is a governight slave?

5 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

Your ignorance is confounding. I'm sure I'm not the only person on MLW who doesn't think literature should be banned or censored, which it most  assuredly has.

No I'm afraid it's my intelligence that's cornering you. I'm pretty sure everyone on MLW can see thru your attempt to dodge being called on your fake news source.

Of course literature shouldn't be banned nobody here has said anything is being banned except for you and the fake news backing you up.