Trump Signs Deal to keep Carrier in the US

I just saw a CTV broadcast talking about Trump's tax-breaks to Carrier.  They talk about as if tax-break is something new to Trump! 

I can't help wonder.....are these two news people from this planet?  :lol:   Trump's been promising tax-breaks to businesses all throughout his campaign!

Why do they think Carrier was leaving?  Why are companies going overseas?   Because they don't like the scenery?

Edited by betsy

41 minutes ago, betsy said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bombardier-bailout-neil-macdonald-1.3300764

And you guys criticize subsidies for Carrier? :lol:

Don't you need to find someone who is in favour of the Bombardier deal while being opposed to the Carrier deal before you can laugh at them? Otherwise, isn't that what's known as a "straw man"?

23 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Don't you need to find someone who is in favour of the Bombardier deal while being opposed to the Carrier deal before you can laugh at them? Otherwise, isn't that what's known as a "straw man"?

Exactly, but let's not go critically evaluating logic around here. That's considered trolling.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎30 at 10:28 AM, sharkman said:

I'm waiting to see what the left's response will be to this because it's good news with no blow back.   The US economy is going to need lots more of this kind of activity.

It incentivizes bad corporate behaviour. Now they know you only have to make empty threats to move to Mexico and he'll come through with massive corporate subsidies.

10 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

At the moment, Trump could deliver a Golden Egg laying goose to each family in the USA and the anti-Trumps would claim it's animal cruelty.

He could also appoint a bunch of alt-right white supremacists to his administration and the pro-Trumps would claim everything will be all right.

But in terms of Carrier, he really should have read the Art of the Deal. He didn't even save that many jobs---hundreds and hundreds of Carrier jobs are still leaving. But he has now signaled to every American corporation that all they have to do is threaten to leave and they'll get millions and millions in tax benefits and incentives. I thought he said he was a good negotiator.

Trump is about to speak at Carrier in Indiana to seal his great political move.   Some jobs are still going to Mexico (not Ontario, of course).

Reducing taxes and slashing EPA rules is what Trump promised to do on the campaign trail.

Trump has leverage with Carrier because it is a subsidiary of United Technologies (big DoD contractor).

Edited by bush_cheney2004

6 hours ago, kimmy said:

It's typical that the kind of people who criticize and ridicule Canadian subsidies for businesses like Bombardier are now hailing American subsidies for businesses as the way to "Make America Great Again."  Much the same way that people who criticize the idea of government spending on infrastructure as wasteful and ineffective now believe that building a wall in the desert will stimulate America's economy.

-k

Before you can say that Trump is subsidizing American business in this case, you need to know exactly what he did to make Carrier stay.  He may have also included government contracts which apparently is worth a billion.

Trump bashers are all playing the same assumption game and working themselves into a lather.  Well, knock yourselves out, but until you know the facts, you're just another armchair quarterback.

Edited:  Oops, I found out they gave Carrier tax breaks.

Edited by sharkman
updated for new information

On 11/30/2016 at 4:37 AM, Michael Hardner said:

No one 'just responds'.   You have stated principles which are diametrically (and some may say absurdly) opposed, which beguiles me as much as any American sh**show/reality show would entertain the average Canadian.  It's not off topic to ask why you think what you think and believe it or not I find your responses intelligent and substantial.  I can learn not only from your opinions but your process.  If I ask my cat why it likes Fancy Feast it just looks at me.  If I ask the monkey in the zoo why it likes bananas, it throws feces.  I expect more from you.

The 'approach' is new because it asks for a tax cut on offshoring to subsidize... onshoring.  Do you think this is a good approach or not ?  It seems like you do.

Really? Why?

54 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Trump bashers are all playing the same assumption game and working themselves into a lather.  Well, knock yourselves out, but until you know the facts, you're just another armchair quarterback.

The only one playing the assumption game is you because you haven't bothered to read about it. Trump supporters have a tendency to try to get by with as little information as possible that way.

Gov. Mike Pence, as out-going governor of Indiana, offered Carrier $700,000 in tax breaks. Trump promised tax and regulatory reforms that will save Carrier much, much more than the $65 million it would have saved by shipping all the jobs to Mexico. Nevertheless, 1300 jobs are still heading to Mexico. What a deal!

10 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Sales of Carrier furnaces and air conditioners are about to go up....it will be Yuuuuuge !

And what's it gonna cost the American taxpayer? And why do you elect a man who uses words like yuuuuuge, but can't actually form a properly constructed sentence? Perhaps he got his education at Trump U. so ironically he may have actually F'ed himself. How ironic is that? 

11 minutes ago, Omni said:

And what's it gonna cost the American taxpayer? And why do you elect a man who uses words like yuuuuuge, but can't actually form a properly constructed sentence? Perhaps he got his education at Trump U. so ironically he may have actually F'ed himself. How ironic is that? 

Because that's what Americans do, but don't worry, Canada still has the Selfie Leader of the Free World.   President Trump might even pay some attention to him...maybe.

Don't count on it, the little kid is too busy with carbon tax.

That was a pretty good speech Trump gave in Ohio yesterday.  He formed plenty of properly constructed sentences, and I guess the left is easily coddled.  The crowd was loving him, I've never seen that kind of reaction from a politician's speech before.  And he's not even sworn in yet!

28 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Don't count on it, the little kid is too busy with carbon tax.

That was a pretty good speech Trump gave in Ohio yesterday.  He formed plenty of properly constructed sentences, and I guess the left is easily coddled.  The crowd was loving him, I've never seen that kind of reaction from a politician's speech before.  And he's not even sworn in yet!

C'mon man, don't you know those crowds are actually what are "rigged"? sheesh

7 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Because that's what Americans do, but don't worry, Canada still has the Selfie Leader of the Free World.   President Trump might even pay some attention to him...maybe.

Trump will have to be briefed as to who he is first before he might pay him attention. Knowledge of things beyond his own borders is not a strong point of his. Matter of fact things inside his own borders as well. He doesn't really need a "great wall" to keep him any more insulated.  

14 minutes ago, Omni said:

Trump will have to be briefed as to who he is first before he might pay him attention.

Trump knows who he is....he's the Canadian hack who criticized him in Canada and New York, thinking that Trump could never win the election.   Now Trudeau is hoping that Trump doesn't hurt 'em too bad on NAFTA (jobs), and allows that nasty bitumen pipeline to cross the U.S. border.   The selfie king also wants Super Hornets.

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump knows who he is....he's the Canadian hack who criticized him in Canada and New York, thinking that Trump could never win the election.   Now Trudeau is hoping that Trump doesn't hurt 'em too bad on NAFTA (jobs), and allows that nasty bitumen pipeline to cross the U.S. border.   The selfie king also wants Super Hornets.

Trump has been advised that tearing up NAFTA is a bad idea so he's backed off on that as well as much of his other campaign nonsense. We'll be too busy building pipelines to pay much attention to pay much attention to his ongoing blather about great walls and kicking out Muslims etc., etc. We have to pay for those new planes don't ya know. 

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Trump has been advised that tearing up NAFTA is a bad idea so he's backed off on that as well as much of his other campaign nonsense. We'll be too busy building pipelines to pay much attention to pay much attention to his ongoing blather about great walls and kicking out Muslims etc., etc. We have to pay for those new planes don't ya know. 

A Trudeau selfie is not NAFTA advice....Trudeau is so scared he already blinked before Trump is even inaugurated, volunteering and conspiring with Mexico to renegotiate NAFTA.  Guess which nation has the most leverage ?

"Please President Trump...sell Canada some F-18 Super Hornets"....pretty please ??

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

A Trudeau selfie is not NAFTA advice....Trudeau is so scared he already blinked before Trump is even inaugurated, volunteering and conspiring with Mexico to renegotiate NAFTA.  Guess which nation has the most leverage ?

"Please President Trump...sell Canada some F-18 Super Hornets"....pretty please ??

Our guy just got ahead of your guy as soon as he heard his NAFTA BS. Trump was maybe busy slicking down that silly hairpiece, perhaps hoping someone would want to take a selfie.

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

Our guy just got ahead of your guy as soon as he heard his NAFTA BS. Trump was maybe busy slicking down that silly hairpiece, perhaps hoping someone would want to take a selfie.

Trump's "hairpiece" has more leverage than Trudeau's selfies when it comes to keeping and repatriating jobs.   Carrier and UTC just got squeezed by a president-elect who can do much more once he is in office.   Trudeau will have to dance to Trump's tune on NAFTA and TPP, just for openers.

Just add Carrier to the long list of companies that Canadians will boycott in support of Mexicans jobs.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump's "hairpiece" has more leverage than Trudeau's selfies when it comes to keeping and repatriating jobs.   Carrier and UTC just got squeezed by a president-elect who can do much more once he is in office.   Trudeau will have to dance to Trump's tune on NAFTA and TPP, just for openers.

Just add Carrier to the long list of companies that Canadians will boycott in support of Mexicans jobs.

Yep, the hair has saved oh, about 500 jobs, it will be interesting to see what that cost the taxpayer...that's you. Pipelines will create many more new jobs than that, and the taxpayers will benefit. That's me.

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

Yep, the hair has saved oh, about 500 jobs, it will be interesting to see what that cost the taxpayer...that's you. Pipelines will create many more new jobs than that, and the taxpayers will benefit. That's me.

I don't mind paying taxes...do you ?  70% of Canada's oil/bitumen production is foreign owned...that benefits me. 

Trump can make lots more "deals" to bring American jobs back from Canada and Mexico, taxes be damned.

And that's why this little Carrier deal has Trudeau worried....if Trump & Congress cut corporate taxes from 35% to 15%,  Canada is hosed.

If Trumps adds 35% tariffs...Canada is hosed.

If Trump ignores the Paris Treaty, Canada is hosed.