Flag burning

Even though its legal to burn the flag in the US, do u think ANY country should allow this to happen?   Myself, I think anyone who burns their flag really doesn't love their country because IF these person are so angry with their country, they are committing arson, they should go to jail. Thoughts?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom of expression is guaranteed by the Constitution. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue.  It's over. Evidentally the poorly informed president-elect missed his Grade 10 Civics class so he wasn't aware, but I think there is going to be a lot of that.

Myself, I think anyone who tears up the Constitution really doesn't love their country. Should we send Donald Trump to jail for trying to destroy the first amendment? Should we send Donald Trump to jail for trying to make American citizens stateless, which is contrary to international agreements and human rights?

1) Maybe those 2nd amendment people could take care of the 1st amendment people, I mean, maybe, I don't know. 

2) Once Trump replaces Scalia then this will all be "automatic." 

3) Oh, wait, Scalia was a 1ster: http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/02/13/scalia-burning-flag-piers-intv.cnn/video/playlists/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dead/

4) Next thing you know, cartoons of a certain prophet will be banned too....

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

Myself, I think anyone who tears up the Constitution really doesn't love their country.

Lots of things suck about our constitution. As an example, there is no equivalent to the first amendment in the USA. Burning the constitution or the flag to protest things wrong with our country can be completely justified.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

10 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Lots of things suck about our constitution. As an example, there is no equivalent to the first amendment in the USA. Burning the constitution or the flag to protest things wrong with our country can be completely justified.

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

• (a) freedom of conscience and religion;

• (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

• (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

• (d) freedom of association.

2(b) is good enough.  

Section 2 is restricted by section 1 of the charter.

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

That's why we have hate speech laws, and you get cases like the gregory allen eliot trial. Or you have human rights tribunals go after people that publish cartoons of the charter of rights and freedoms.

Section 1 of the charter should be abolished. The preamble as well as section 15 subsection 2 should also be abolished.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I never could understand the whole flag burning argument.  Land of the free, except where flags are concerned?  Of course one should be allowed to burn a flag. 

As long as no-one is wearing it.

Proper disposal of a U.S. flag is by burning.   Much ado about nothing.  

38 minutes ago, msj said:

The horror, the horror. 

None of which prevents anyone from burning a Canadian flag if they wanted to. 

Or, prevents anonymous people on the internet from whining incessantly about these types of things. 

Well that's a nice bait and switch tactic.

I was responding to the claim that Canada does have an equivalent to the first amendment, we do not. I never claimed that flag burning was illegal. Flag burning is fine, just don't disagree with feminists on twitter or depict the prophet mohammed.

Such behaviors like as burning flags or burning someone's posters or insulting people is an outburst of violence impulses within someone and give us signals that these persons are prone to commit crimes if they would have a chance. It should not be allowed. 

1 minute ago, Altai said:

Such behaviors like as burning flags or burning someone's posters or insulting people is an outburst of violence impulses within someone and give us signals that these persons are prone to commit crimes if they would have a chance. It should not be allowed. 

No it doesn't.  It's a protest.  It's a non-violent act.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

No it doesn't.  It's a protest.  It's a non-violent act.

"Protest" means to express your disagreement with someones while burning flags is simulation and a small practice of destroying/killing something which calls people to act violent under the conscious.

1 minute ago, Altai said:

"Protest" means to express your disagreement with someones while burning flags is simulation and a small practice of destroying/killing something which calls people to act violent under the conscious.

"Kill"?   How do you kill an inanimate object?  That's just dumb.

Protest can mean burning things.....  yelling....  waving signs....  drawing Muhammad....   All those are non violent and perfectly acceptable to reasonable people.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Proper disposal of a U.S. flag is by burning.   Much ado about nothing.  

Yes, in fact the Legion has flag burning ceremonies on flag day (June 14). I think the point is people are burning the flag as a protest, usually against the government, and not just to retire an unserviceable flag. While I don't think flag burning is the best form of protest, it is free expression and allowed. Too many people associate protests against the government as protests against America, and nothing could be further from the truth. 

An unserviceable flag is not one that has touched the ground as many people seem to believe. If it gets dirty, then it should be cleaned and reused. If it is worn out (faded, frayed by the wind, or otherwise beyond repair) then it should be destroyed, and that is why it is burned. One thing I do admire about Americans as generally they do take care of their flag, and make sure to fly one that is in decent condition. The number of faded, and wind worn flags flying around in Canada is a disgrace. It is not just the Canadian flag, in Quebec where there are a lot of fleurdelisé flying you see many of them in sad shape.

Edited by ?Impact

1 hour ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Well that's a nice bait and switch tactic.

I was responding to the claim that Canada does have an equivalent to the first amendment, we do not. I never claimed that flag burning was illegal. Flag burning is fine, just don't disagree with feminists on twitter or depict the prophet mohammed.

I have done/seen both on twitter with no incident so you're full of it. 

2 hours ago, Altai said:

Maybe in protest of your authoritarianism, I'll burn the Turkish flag.

2 hours ago, msj said:

I have done/seen both on twitter with no incident so you're full of it. 

See gregory allen eliot trial. Also see some of the resent comments by the Trudeau government regarding that trial.

1 hour ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Maybe in protest of your authoritarianism, I'll burn the Turkish flag.

See gregory allen eliot trial. Also see some of the resent comments by the Trudeau government regarding that trial.

If you do that in my country, you will be sentenced. If you try to climp a flagpole to down a Turkish flag, you will be shot in the head.

Well I'm very greatful for not living in your fascist country. Now if only Canada could leave nato or kick Turkey out of NATO so we don't have treaty obligations to protect ISIS supporting Turkey from Russia when Turkey shoots down Russian airplanes in retaliation for Russia fighting ISIS and destroying oil tankers headed from ISIS to Turkey.