Transport Canada Follows U.S. Lead

Canada's Auditor General has confirmed the obvious....Transport Canada lags on vehicle safety issues and tends to only act after findings/actions in the United States.

Ferguson found that Transport Canada's oversight of vehicle safety defects and recalls was "adequate," but it failed to identify safety defects early and to influence manufacturers' recalls, often relying on its U.S. counterpart to flag issues.

..."Overall, we found that Transport Canada did not develop motor vehicle safety standards to respond to emerging risks and issues in a timely manner. It generally waited for the United States to change its motor vehicle safety standards before modifying Canadian standards," Ferguson wrote in his report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transport-canada-auditor-general-1.3872553

So why does Transport Canada lag/wait on setting safety standards for vehicles in Canada ?    Why is it so slow to mandate recalls and fixes ?   Transport Canada only received authority to issue Subsequent Notice Orders in 2015.

Chronic underfunding the last decade or so.  

The Conservative government is slashing funding for all safety and security programs at Transport Canada, with a significant chunk coming out of safety oversight initiatives, planning documents show.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1916438/funding-slashed-for-all-safety-programs-at-transport-canada/

Hmmm.   Let me see: the US industry is where that vast majority of cars and trucks are made and sold on this continent, and those we make are exported in great quantities into that market.   So we - a deficit financed nation that depends on exports for the preciously small value added component of our resources are supposed to create a complete new set of rules different from our primary market?   Why?   Just so we can employ more left-leaning (and voting) bureaucrats?   Or just because you think our taxes are not high enough and we are doing too much export business now?

So transportation safety for Canadians should be determined by what/when the United States define in American federal regulations because of the economic impact on exports / commerce ?   The U.S. is also deficit financed.

How did that work out for a derailed oil train in Quebec ?    Why did Canada accept the U.S. DOT standard for so long when there was ample evidence that it falls short for transport of volatile/hazardous materials ?  

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

My guess it has something to do with this US/Canada identity complex/syndrome thingy.

Whaddya think?

I don't think so....probably has more to do with cheap Canadian governments.   Canada has long used American based standards (ASTM, ANSI, SAE, UL, etc.), but has usually tried to join the internationalized versions of same.   Transport Canada just seems to flat out wait for the USA...or wait for disasters that cause political uproar for the dead and dying.

As an evil nationalist, I find it odd that Transport Canada has standards that refer to U.S. Federal Regulations.

Just now, cannuck said:

Because we don't sell diddly squat to Uganda or China.   We share an economy with an elephant that is 10x our size and by far our dominant markeplace.   That is reality.

Canada sells plenty to China and a tiny bit to Uganda.    Transport Canada is not tasked with protecting Americans or Chinese.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada sells plenty to China and a tiny bit to Uganda.    Transport Canada is not tasked with protecting Americans or Chinese.

irrelevant amounts compared with what we sell to and buy from the US.   Latest numbers I could easily find were for 2012, not that much different today I expect.

Table 26  Major goods trading partners, 2010
  Exports Imports Trade balance
$ millions
Total 404,834 413,833 -8,999
United States 296,672 259,953 36,719
Japan 9,717 10,067 -351
United Kingdom 16,986 9,561 7,425
Other European Union countries 19,476 30,788 -11,313
Other OECD countries 17,908 29,013 -11,105
Other countries 44,076 74,451 -30,375
Note: Balance of payments basis.
Source: Statistics Canada, CANSIM table 228-0003.

4 minutes ago, cannuck said:

irrelevant amounts compared with what we sell to and buy from the US.   Latest numbers I could easily find were for 2012, not that much different today I expect.

Just trying to follow the logic of exports driving Canadian safety standards.    EU has their own standards, and Canada wants to export more there too.

So how many foreign safety standards will be applicable in Canada ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Canada also seems to lack consumer protections/authority for motor vehicle recalls...even basic consumer goods' warranties.    Volkswagen has already moved forward with approved diesel buyback options for American consumers and EPA fines while Canadians wait.    Samsung provides much better consumer protection for their American consumers, because they have to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/samsung-note7-galaxy-washer-electronics-exploding-phones-1.3887154#commentwrapper

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 10:41 PM, The_Squid said:

Have you asked Finland why they use Germany's safety standards?

Well the TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein) is certainly well respected, they are the equivalent of Underwriter Laboratories or CSA. I expect it would be hard for Finland (population 5 million) to recreate anything even remotely like them.

15 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Well the TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein) is certainly well respected, they are the equivalent of Underwriter Laboratories or CSA. I expect it would be hard for Finland (population 5 million) to recreate anything even remotely like them.

It would seem obvious....  to most...  that a smaller country would use the standards of a larger country within close proximity.  But some people need their hand held and things explained to them in small words.