Toronto to introduce toll roads

Boges

2 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Wynne said no, but I still hate her in other words.

You think this would make me, or anyone. support her? It's a cynical political move, not one that really benefits people in Ontario all that much. ESPECIALLY because none of this comes into play until after both Her and Tory face the electorate. 

It's just damage control. 

If I actually thought Wynne was doing this because she finally sees the damage she is doing to the masses I would give credit. But this is just because she is in election mode and her cabinet are likely to push her out unless she gets her popularity numbers up. 

Nothing is more pathetic than a Liberal losing. (see USA over trumps win) 

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2016 at 5:51 PM, Rue said:

Hah I just read H's response. Sooner or later everyone agrees with moi. I like to think of myself as a contagious virus on this forum.

You no like, take penicillin.

Toll roads, when we pay for them via taxes and knowing the corruption takes place is hard to disagree with at all.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:09 AM, Boges said:

It looks like Mayor John Tory is sick of his job. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tory-road-tolls-1.3865246

So that's upwards of $1,000 a year if you use the Gardiner or the DVP regularly for you commute. Even so, it's still cheaper than using the commuter train system. 

I think people will obviously use alternative routes, making those neighbourhoods traffic situation havoc. It's not like Toronto is an Island where there is only one way in or out. 

Many, if not most, large cities already have tolls like this. It's super expensive to drive into New York City. But with the amount of tax that we paid with the VAT and Excise taxes on gasoline, using this tactic does seem like overkill. 

I think people in the core will love this because the money raised will go towards improving their transit situation. BUT people in the immediate suburb areas that allowed Rob Ford to rise to power will probably resent this tax and overwhelmingly reject Tory in the next election. 

In the lower mainland of Vancouver some Mayors want to introduce a 4 cent kilometer charge for every kilometer one drives their vehicles over a period of a year. If one drives say 10,000 miles a year that would cost the average driver approx. $400 per year in tax because that is what it is just another tax. It just never ends with these spend crazy politicians who if they took the time to look they could probably find other ways of gaining revenue like taking a few dollars from other programs and agendas that they have shoved on the Canadian taxpayer's over the decades. Taxes upon taxes upon taxes. Pretty soon parents won't be able to afford to take their kids to McDonalds anymore.  

If you want a model for an expensive place to drive a car, try London.  The real London.

Lemme see.  It costs about $20 per day for a fee to enter the city in a car.  Surveillance systems record  and process every licence number(millions per day), if you don't pay the $20 charge (which becomes $30 per entrance the day after), the fine is around $200 and they just mail you the tickets(s).  The parking fees anywhere central will be hundreds of dollars per day.  I saw a few meters in Chelsea, which had very rare street parking, that were 1 pound for 5 minutes, or about $25per hour.  Offstreet parking in lots would be more than that and hard to find.  When you get home to your leafy suburb, your have to pay to park on the street in front of your house, which will be several hundred per month.  Then there is fuel at $2/liter, cost of buying the car, insurance and maintenance.  Every time you stop your car , you pay for the privilege.  Every time you start your car.... same thing

29 minutes ago, overthere said:

If you want a model for an expensive place to drive a car, try London.  The real London.

Lemme see.  It costs about $20 per day for a fee to enter the city in a car.  Surveillance systems record  and process every licence number(millions per day), if you don't pay the $20 charge (which becomes $30 per entrance the day after), the fine is around $200 and they just mail you the tickets(s).  The parking fees anywhere central will be hundreds of dollars per day.  I saw a few meters in Chelsea, which had very rare street parking, that were 1 pound for 5 minutes, or about $25per hour.  Offstreet parking in lots would be more than that and hard to find.  When you get home to your leafy suburb, your have to pay to park on the street in front of your house, which will be several hundred per month.  Then there is fuel at $2/liter, cost of buying the car, insurance and maintenance.  Every time you stop your car , you pay for the privilege.  Every time you start your car.... same thing

Well they have good transit. 

On 6/22/2017 at 1:42 PM, Boges said:

Well they have good transit. 

Not really.  It is really expensive. slow, poorly maintained compared to , say, Paris.  There is no way to beat it in London.  If you live outside walking or biking distance from work, you will spend plenty of time and money getting to work.  If you live in anywhere central, housing costs are staggering..  

Paris has an excellent system, which of course is massively subsidized.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:53 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

Agreed.  I've been to Paris, in 1998 it was 10F to get you anywhere in the city (10F was nothing, not even paper money).

I did not know that Maryland was a province of Canada? Can I go and live there, and still be Canadian? Can I get paid in American if I work there? Just asking. :)

4 hours ago, taxme said:

I did not know that Maryland was a province of Canada? Can I go and live there, and still be Canadian? Can I get paid in American if I work there? Just asking. :)

According to more conservative Marylanders, yes, it might as well be Canada. 

Last governor tried to tax rain water from storms.  I kid you not.  So no, it sounds more like you'd pay us.  :)

4 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

According to more conservative Marylanders, yes, it might as well be Canada. 

Last governor tried to tax rain water from storms.  I kid you not.  So no, it sounds more like you'd pay us.  :)

Aw well, I am getting use to paying others now. It's what we are great at here in Canukistan. :rolleyes: