Blasphemy

We seem to judge a lot of other cultures for not allowing religious freedom. Here in Canada you can still get up to two years in jail for taking the lords name on vain. Hypocritical or not? When we are trying to keep religion out of schools this seems to tip the scales in favour of Christians.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/01/16/canadian-blasphemy-trial-a-warning-against-smugness-walkom.html

Edited by drummindiver
sp

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

Here in Canada you can still get up to two years in jail for taking the lords name on vain.

Yes, the Criminal Code of Canada is in dire need of a massive rewrite. That was made abundantly clear several weeks back when that Alberta judge ruled based on a part of the code that was declared unconstitutional way back under Mulroney`s government. The successive failures of our Justice Ministers to clean up the books is unacceptable.

Deported to England, so that's not too bad then. 

It is so weird though, that people still think there is something wrong with blasphemy.  It's like we should round up the astronomers and jail them all for insisting the Earth goes around the Sun.

That is a good one. We are indeed hypocrits, on paper. Although that law is not really applied lately. It is still there. Well in Québec, I have seen alot of blasphemy on the religion, god and Jesus. No one has been accused.

I remember the group Rock et Belles Oreilles did jokes on Jesus and God. So funny. I will do some translation for those who can't understand french.

God: "Hey Jesus, how are you, piece of a virgin. Sorry for the mess, I am not worthy to welcome you. Do you get it?"

God: "Hey, times are rough. We have competition... we are getting eat, bloody". In french, bloody is what we say when we want a rare steak.

God: "We must change your branding. We must change your image. Look at you, how do you expect people to believe in you? Go wash yourself, put on a bandaid, anything... go see Mary, she is going to explain you. Go in peace and hit the road. I created that thing, go figure."

Jesus: "I am telling, it is easier for a cat to pass throught the needle's hole than for a wealthy man throught Heaven... or something like that".

Bandits: "ok, we do not want the money anymore"

Jesus: "So, if no one wants it... (he takes the money) ... amen"

Evil: "is it true you now have super power?"

Jesus: "yes, I will show you. Pick up a card. Don't show me. (a green light comes out his finger and the Evil is changed into a goat)... what the hell?"

A Jesus ad for Jesus chicken. super Jesus BBQ.

Jesus saves a woman from fire.

Woman: "Don't look at me when I change". Jesus put his hands to his face but, he looks throught the holes and says "alleluya".

Here is a bonus. In the next video, you see Jesus with a cross on the shoulder and a roman soldier giving him whip slaps. Then a woman puts a T-Shirt on his face, we see a photocopying green ray going up and down with this comment: "Xerox, a christ of a good machine". Christ (criss) is a swear in Québec.

Correction: There is death sentence for blasphemy in Judaism and Christianity, not in Islam. Islam accepted Judaism and Christianity verses as true until the day Quran makes a statement about the issues. So probably some Islamic stories which is called "hadith" about the killing of apostates are probably from these parts of Islamic age of Arab peninsula. Quran orders freedom of religion/belief. 

Edited by Altai

2 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

The first thing I discovered when I learned French in Montreal many years ago is that Quebeckers have a terrible, unfunny sense of humour. Hence, Just for Laughs Gags.

And the Montrealers must have found very boring too.  But perhaps in Winnipeg you have a very entertaining humour. ;)

Edited by Benz
add up a little touch

47 minutes ago, Altai said:

Correction: There is death sentence for blasphemy in Judaism and Christianity, not in Islam. Islam accepted Judaism and Christianity verses as true until the day Quran makes a statement about the issues. So probably some Islamic stories which is called "hadith" about the killing of apostates are probably from these parts of Islamic age of Arab peninsula. Quran orders freedom of religion/belief. 

It's not about accept other religions, it's about accept that one can make jokes on your religion.

17 hours ago, drummindiver said:

We seem to judge a lot of other cultures for not allowing religious freedom. Here in Canada you can still get up to two years in jail for taking the lords name on vain. Hypocritical or not? When we are trying to keep religion out of schools this seems to tip the scales in favour of Christians.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/01/16/canadian-blasphemy-trial-a-warning-against-smugness-walkom.html

Really? You serious. Do provide an example of how this law is being enforced.

Get a grip man.

17 hours ago, msj said:

Why is this hypocritical? 

I do not agree with every law that is on the books and certainly not this one.

So I am being perfectly consistent when I say the law is an ass in Canada and an even bigger ass in, say, Saudi Arabia. 

The law has changed. Its no longer enforceable. Hasn't been enforced in years. Them there Christians have calmed down lately.

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

The law has changed. Its no longer enforceable. Hasn't been enforced in years. Them there Christians have calmed down lately.

The law has not changed. It is still on the books waiting for the day some crazy fascist Christian, or Jew or Muslim gets into power. 

But, yeah, the enforcement has been relaxed to the point that people are surprised that Canada was once nearly a Christian theocractic state. 

Edited by msj

Just now, Benz said:

Why no get rid of it then? It's like having a dildo in your room and saying to do not anal sex.

One may have a dildo in their room becuase they like to provide vaginal sex to their female partner. 

Not all dildos are for pegging!

#notalldildos 

1 hour ago, Altai said:

Altai planet earth calling. Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no death sentence in Judaism for blasphemy. 

You fabricated that. Here is the actual law in Israel it's covered by Articles 170 and 173 of the State of Israel's  penal code and it has nothing to do with the blasphemy you refer to because in fact blasphemy is not a concept in Judaism-its a Christian or Muslim concept.

Stop talking about Judaism. You know nothing about it. Stop posing as if you do.:

Insult to religion
170. If a person destroys, damages or desecrates a place of worship or any object which is held sacred by a group of persons, with the intention of reviling their religion, or in the knowledge that they are liable to deem that act an insult to their religion, then the one is liable to three years imprisonment.

Injury to religious sentiment
173. If a person does any of the following, then the one is liable to one year imprisonment:
(1) One publishes a publication that is liable to crudely offend the religious faith or sentiment of others;
(2) One voices in a public place and in the hearing of another person any word or sound that is liable to crudely offend the religious faith or sentiment of others.

Stop posing as if you understand Judaism you don't.

You clearly do not care but for the record there are two main passages in the Old Testament(Leviticus 24: 10-23 and I Kings 21: 8-13) that you think referred to blasphemy and issued a penalty  stoning to death. However it is not the same definition as found in the New Testament or in the Koran.

Blasphemy in Judaism did not mean denying the teachings and infallibility of Muhammed (as it does in Islam) or denying the teachings of Jesus, denying Jesus is the Messiah or denying the infallibility of the Pope or various Christian churches as its been applied in Christianity.

In Judaism , the hebrew words  birkat hashem, literally translated mean  "blessing the Name of God" . Since there is no specific word in Hebrew for cursing, you look to the context of how the word "blessing" in Hebrew is used and in this sense if would mean curse.

In the Biblical days of Judaism one found to be guilty of this offence was called a megaddef  or disbeliever in God.

Yes it could lead to stonings in theory and may have been used at one point but most stonings were done for sexual assault, murder, bestiality and homosexuality and sorry to burst your bubble but they are no longer applied.

The Talmud which is the actual laws of Judaism is designed to constantly generate a n on stop debate and criticial analysis of the Old Testament and to constantly change, reform and update its meanings as Jewish society evolves and so long ago and clearly you are unaware of this development. Jews stop stoning gays, stoning atheists or even rapists although I am sure you might find one or two crazy enough today to want to do it I just don't think you'll find it legal in either Judaism or modern law. We've evolved past the fundamentalist blasphemy laws still enforced in Sharia law nations. So has Christianity. Not that you noticed but today the Catholic church might try ex-communicate someone who they think is blasphemous but they don't stone them not that any Christian or their churches need me to defend them by pointing that out.

In fact we have modern Jews, Christians and Muslims who meet in open forums and challenge certain interpretations of the Koran and Bible all the time. In the past they would have been considered blasphemous in Christianity and Islam,  In Modern Islam and Christianity they are considered academics having rhetorical debates.

Not that you care to know either but the very crux of Judaism is to require its followers to question everything they are told and challenge the meaning. That exercise is considered essential to the very essence of life and so in theory using the Muslim definition of blasphemy, Jews could not be Jews if what you say is true. Our religion expects debates about each and every passage stated in the Bible, the Talmud or any essay put down by a Rabbiah, many of which go on to form new interpretations of Judaism.

We are not Islam. Our beliefs are not considered absolute, fixed and unquestionable. No human who speaks of God and that is what Jews or Rabbiahs are is considered infallible or beyond question. Insulting God is not questioning the meaning of God or what it is or if it exists in the way some say it does, but when the concept is belittled. At one point the law was that way to prevent a fragile Jewish society from imploding in civil war but that was over 4,000 years ago. 

By the way if you can provide an example of any Christians or Jews being put to death by the countries they live in for speaking out against Christianity or Judaism do share. Its a figment of your imagination.

Man why let reality get in the way of your pronouncements.

Edited by Rue

7 minutes ago, msj said:

The law has not changed. It is still on the books waiting for the day some crazy fascist Christian, or Jew or Muslim gets into power. 

But, yeah, the enforcement has been relaxed to the point that people are surprised that Canada was once nearly a Christian theocractic state. 

Absolutely false. Read the Charter of Rights. It prevails over every law in the land including the outmoded section you speak of that is no longer enforceable. There are plenty of criminal code sections to be deleted as a housekeeping exercise. Its not a high priority item because such sections are never enforced. Eventually amendments get rid of the, But again why let reality bother you either. Who is waiting to enforce it other than someone from your imagination?

Can we do better then these pathetic attempts to equate Canadian laws to Muslim states with Sharia laws, I mean this thread's postulation is as pathetic as it gets.

Edited by Rue