Native Ceremony takes place at a public school

Boges

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Big whoop-de-doo. Your bias towards other religions/cults is noted.

That "bias" is called a limited number of teaching hours, but if you feel so passionately about Satanists, maybe you could write the Ministry of Education and ask them to include them in the curriculum. I'm sure you'll have a the most intelligent reasoning to give them.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

I'd prefer that ZERO cults/religions get traction in our public schools. Too bad you do not feel the same way.

I realize that you prefer our children to grow up ignorant because then maybe you can convince them to get into the ridiculous alt-right cult you've joined, but I prefer children be educated about the history, people, and culture of Canada and the indigenous people here, thanks. That includes knowing about a variety of religions and beliefs. But hey, you're in good company with the evangelists, orthodox religions, and many Muslims when you work to stop kids from learning about other cultures and religions.

1 minute ago, Boges said:

It would bother a lot of people though. And if there is a high percentage of First Nations already, I'm sure they're familiar with the Smudging process. 

A lot of people are "bothered" by sex education. And I thought people were all offended by "safe spaces" and doing things to be PC and not "bother" people?

2 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

I realize that you prefer our children to grow up ignorant because then maybe you can convince them to get into the ridiculous alt-right cult you've joined, but I prefer children be educated about the history, people, and culture of Canada and the indigenous people here, thanks. That includes knowing about a variety of religions and beliefs. But hey, you're in good company with the evangelists, orthodox religions, and many Muslims when you work to stop kids from learning about other cultures and religions.

You can learn about religions in public schools. I took Philosophy in High School and Western Civilization where learning about world religions is very important. But there were never in class demonstrations of the rituals. It most certainly comes across as advocating for that religion or cultural practice. Especially if it was made clear that participating was completely voluntary. 

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

That's right...me not wanting your pet religions into our schools is ME wanting the poor children kept in ignorance.

:lol:

No wonder you guys are a dying breed.

You not wanting kids to know about the history, culture, and people of this country is ignorant. Good thing smarter people than you make the curriculum in this country so kids can actually know something about the country.

A lot of people are "bothered" by sex education. And I thought people were all offended by "safe spaces" and doing things to be PC and not "bother" people?

Neither of those things really violate the separation of Church and State that people seem to value about Western Society.

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

It would bother a lot of people though. And if there is a high percentage of First Nations already, I'm sure they're familiar with the Smudging process. 

I just don't understand the angst about this. If it were my children I would be thrilled that they are exposed to as many cultures as the school board will allow, especially given the demographics of the population. Knowledge is power. Or has everyone forgotten that?  

You not wanting kids to know about the history, culture, and people of this country is ignorant. Good thing smarter people than you make the curriculum in this country so kids can actually know something about the country.

Again your conflating learning about rituals and and actually participating in them. They're two separate things. 

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

That's right...me not wanting your pet religions into our schools is ME wanting the poor children kept in ignorance.

:lol:

No wonder you guys are a dying breed.

Do your children live in a community with a large number of First Nation children? 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

But there were never in class demonstrations of the rituals. 

You missed out then. Sounds like your education was more limited than these kids' education.

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Neither of those things really violate the separation of Church and State that people seem to value about Western Society.

Separation of Church and State doesn't even remotely mean no curriculum about religion and culture in Canada.

19 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

So they don't exist? Or are not significant enough for you to NOT discriminate against?

You open the door for one...you open it for all. Unless you have an agenda to spread one certain cult's message.

Yeah, and then it becomes the government picking and choosing which religion to favour, which is dangerous. That's why societies were moving towards secularism.

But we see that certain regressive left posters here who claim to be 'liberal' reject core liberal values like secularism in favour of determining which position take depending on the perceived level of oppression of the individuals involved.

Also, it would be far more productive to teach kids coding or the scientific method than a bunch of religious ceremonies.

7 minutes ago, Boges said:

You can learn about religions in public schools. I took Philosophy in High School and Western Civilization where learning about world religions is very important. But there were never in class demonstrations of the rituals. It most certainly comes across as advocating for that religion or cultural practice. Especially if it was made clear that participating was completely voluntary. 

Advocating?  Oh come on. It's a sharing of cultural practices.  Nothing more, nothing less. Stop making it so sinister. 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Again your conflating learning about rituals and and actually participating in them. They're two separate things. 

Well you explain the difference to me. Explain to me why the former is NOT a problem while the latter is. Because I'm not buying that there's any sort of harm caused here and in fact I believe this enriches the students' understanding of indigenous peoples and their history and culture. So you go ahead and make an argument why this is harmful.

1 minute ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Advocating?  Oh come on. It's a sharing of cultural practices.  Nothing more, nothing less. Stop making it so sinister. 

So when the mosque or temple or church come down for a little talk with the kids, we should just let them as it will culturally enrich them?

No way, Jose!

8 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Well you explain the difference to me. Explain to me why the former is NOT a problem while the latter is. Because I'm not buying that there's any sort of harm caused here and in fact I believe this enriches the students' understanding of indigenous peoples and their history and culture. So you go ahead and make an argument why this is harmful.

Well if you feel that way fine. It would be interesting to know if other rituals where performed in the class. If not then I'd say this is just pandering to a minority group. As I said earlier, having smoke wafted into your face doesn't help someone understand how the process works or what significance it has. But it does appear to be advocating for that ritual. I doubt advocating for other more mainstream rituals in a public school would be met with such acceptance. 

Many don't believe that offering Gideon Bibles in public schools is appropriate either. 

Edited by Boges

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

So when the mosque or temple or church come down for a little talk with the kids, we should just let them as it will culturally enrich them?

No way, Jose!

Unless you're interested in breeding ignorant and closed-minded children, then yes. That's exactly what we do because children should learn about different religions and cultures that are in Canada. But I can see how someone from the alt-right cult would rather indoctrinate those children himself, so he can teach them the kind of bigotry and hatred that's posted on the alt-right blogosphere and forums daily. You wouldn't want them actually having first hand experience with different religions and cultures because then it's incredibly difficult to teach them to hate and become obedient little white nationalists.

1 minute ago, cybercoma said:

Unless you're interested in breeding ignorant and closed-minded children, then yes. That's exactly what we do because children should learn about different religions and cultures that are in Canada. But I can see how someone from the alt-right cult would rather indoctrinate those children himself, so he can teach them the kind of bigotry and hatred that's posted on the alt-right blogosphere and forums daily. You wouldn't want them actually having first hand experience with different religions and cultures because then it's incredibly difficult to teach them to hate and become obedient little white nationalists.

It's called Separation of Church and State.

I believe in it.

You do not.

What's next? The local Evangelicals coming in to give the kids a talk about science?

3 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

If you can't understand why schools in Canada would teach about indigenous cultures and religions, then you're just not thinking.

Oh I understand the justification, I just don't agree with violating secularism. I take the classical liberal position.