MLW poll for the 1st Presidential debate

The 1st POTUS debate  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt, on paper, Clinton won hands down in the debate......but then, Trump also lost debates to Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz etc etc....

I think Trump was winning in the first half, he walloped her on ie: trade and ISIS, then he got caught on the defensive much of the time in the 2nd half and seemed to lose his moxy. I really don't see the MSM saying Clinton won hands down. I can see people saying she won though. I actually thought it was basically a tie, but he squeaked out a win since most people would watch the 1st half and turn the channel around an hour in when it got more mellow.

I think Trump was winning in the first half, he walloped her on ie: trade and ISIS, then he got caught on the defensive much of the time in the 2nd half and seemed to lose his moxy. I really don't see the MSM saying Clinton won hands down. I can see people saying she won though. I actually thought it was basically a tie, but he squeaked out a win since most people would watch the 1st half and turn the channel around an hour in when it got more mellow.

I don't disagree, without a doubt he started off with a manner of poise, likewise landed some good blows on Clinton.......but both Clinton and the moderator gave Trump enough rope to hang himself with, and in some cases he did.......I'm surprised though that he didn't go after Bill Clinton and the Clinton foundation, thats too his advantage.

My point though, much the same can be said of Trump throughout the GOP primaries......and it did not mater one iota.....at the end of the day, Trump was Trump and Clinton was a snooty old bag......I doubt the debate will have much an effect for either's fortunes, but I guess we shall see later this week when the creditable polls are finished and released.

My point though, much the same can be said of Trump throughout the GOP primaries......and it did not mater one iota.....at the end of the day, Trump was Trump and Clinton was a snooty old bag......I doubt the debate will have much an effect for either's fortunes, but I guess we shall see later this week when the creditable polls are finished and released.

Definitely... it's not a question of how media analysts and fact-checkers saw it, it's a question of how undecided voters saw it. The Guardian's undecided voter panel gave Hillary the edge, but others might have seen it differently.

-k

Like many others, my take was that Trump came out strong at the start but got caught up in the shyte later on, giving Hillary the upper hand and putting him on defense. But I’m wondering what was up with that moderator?

In my opinion the discomfort I felt over some of Trump’s twisted up answers was only eclipsed by my surprise of the unabashed bias and one-sidedness of the questioning. While Trump was being fed questions like “don’t Americans have the right to know who you owe money to” or “why did it take you so long to acknowledge what most Americans have accepted for years (regarding Obama’s natural born citizenship)”, or “what do you have to say to people of colour”, or “why is your judgement of the Iraq war different than that of Mrs. Clinton's”, or what did you mean when you said Mrs. Clinton doesn’t have a presidential look”…while all that was coming at him from the moderator, the most pressing question asked of Clinton was ”would you like to respond to any of your email issues?"

There were no questions about any of her skeletons, the Clinton Foundation, Benghazi, the DNC scandal by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the 11 million dollar speeches, calling half the American population deplorable, etc. While Trump was pressed no less than three separate times about his taxes, there was no follow up to Clinton’s email issues. I am definitely no fan of Trump and frankly think that America loses regardless of which one of them ends up as leader. But I would at least expect fairness and impartiality in the questioning if a winner and loser is to be determined in the debate.

Edited by Spiderfish

The last 9 debates, the person that won the 1st ,lost the presidency.

Good point...Hillary Clinton thought she could run a victory lap after her debates with Barack Obama as well. We all know how that turned out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_debates_and_forums,_2008#April_26.2C_2007_.E2.80.93_Orangeburg.2C_South_Carolina.2C_South_Carolina_State_University

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The last 9 debates, the person that won the 1st ,lost the presidency.

Where did you cook up that from? The opposite has generally be the case. Note that sometimes there is a difference of opinion on who won the debate. For example in 2008, the political pundits said Clinton won but the public polls said Obama did.

Unscientific non-traditional online polls voted Trump as the winner.

CNBC, Time magazine online polls say Donald Trump won the first presidential debate

“The presidential debate is over and both candidates have made their case to the American voter. We heard their positions on homeland security, the economy and the future direction of the country. Now it’s your turn to tell us who the big winner was,” CNBC asked in their poll.

A current total of 960,300 people voted. The results: 67 percent said Mr. Trump won the bout, 33 percent voted for Mrs. Clinton.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off at their first presidential debate Monday. Who do you think won?” asked Time in their version.

Over 1.6 million people responded. The results: 55 percent sided with Mr. Trump, 45 percent with Mrs. Clinton.

An online poll from The Washington Times and another from the Drudge Report also found that Mr. Trump was the victor. There were many more, however.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/27/cnbc-time-magazine-online-polls-say-donald-trump-w/

Scarborough Hypes The Drudge Report Poll Claiming Trump Won Debate Right After Mocking It

Scarborough: "The Fact That You Have 80% Of The People Revved Up Enough To Go To These Polls Suggests Something About The Level Of Intensity"

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/09/27/scarborough-hypes-drudge-report-poll-claiming-trump-won-debate-right-after-mocking-it/213360

I think Trump was the clear winner in that debate, although he was on the defensive at the last half.

He managed to swing and land good ones, though while on the defense.

That first one gave him a sample of Hillary. The last two debates should be very interesting.

Edited by betsy

On line "polls" mean nothing. You can vote as often as you want and there is no accountability of who, what you are. There is software available that will vote on online polls for as many times as you want. I would suggest that a poll of inmates of penal institutions would indicate that the majority disagree with mandatory minimal sentences.

There a tens of millions of dollars being spent on this election. I can guarantee that each campaign has hundreds of supporters monitoring and manipulating anonymous on-line commentary.

Here are 4 standard (i.e. non rigged on-line) polls:

CNN: Hillary +35

YouGov: Hillary +27
Morning Consult: Hillary +23
PPP: Hillary +11

You just cherry picked the few that gave the result you liked.

There's nothing rigged about a poll that lets anyone vote. The results aren't scientific, for sure, but everyone has the same chance to show their support for whomever they like if they feel strongly enough to bother doing so.

Perhaps because Clinton provided clear answers and Trump didn`t.

His answer was pretty straight forward, all she has to do is release her 33,000 deleted emails.

What about the Clinton Foundation...Benghazi...the deplorables that make up half the American population?? Was her answer to those questions clear enough?...Oh right, she didn't have to account for or answer to those gems. The vacuous silence was crystal clear.

Edited by Spiderfish

You just cherry picked the few that gave the result you liked.

There's nothing rigged about a poll that lets anyone vote. The results aren't scientific, for sure, but everyone has the same chance to show their support for whomever they like if they feel strongly enough to bother doing so.

You are right, I did cherry pick. I picked standard polls and excluded on-line polls that are subject to rigging. Please find other standard polls and add them to the list.

His answer was pretty straight forward, all she has to do is release her 33,000 deleted emails.

What about the Clinton Foundation...Benghazi...the deplorables that make up half the American population??

Actually she said they make up half of Trump supporters which, at that time, considering undecideds, was no more than 30% and probably less. So no more than 15% of the whole population fit in the basket, which seems correct. But she apologized anyway. For telling the truth.

We will never see the day Donald apologizes for telling he truth because he will never make that mistake.