Milennials

Cum Laude

If you stop and think about it, Millenials come in two flavors. The first flavor are those who avoid work altogether and live in their parents basement. The second flavor are those who do not feel the need or see it as at all appropriate that they start out working in the warehouse. These millenials are entitled and feel they are destined for upper management and they think they deserve to be made into upper management their first day on the job. Consequently they would quit after their first day before they could learn the difference.

In other words you won’t find a millenial caught dead working in a warehouse or on a loading dock so they have no need to know the difference between a crate and a pallet. Having no need to know the difference they never learn the difference and since they don’t work they certainly have no need to learn the difference.

My apologies to all millennials who work hard and embrace the traditional American work ethic. That would be both of you.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the traditional American work ethic.

The traditional American work ethic? You mean where companies invest in their employees, they take them in, train them, establish a career path for those that succeed, and take care of them in retirement?

....or do you mean where the companies want free interns, minimum wage, outsourcing to Asia, no job security, and screw you when you get old?

The traditional American work ethic? You mean where companies invest in their employees, they take them in, train them, establish a career path for those that succeed, and take care of them in retirement?

....or do you mean where the companies want free interns, minimum wage, outsourcing to Asia, no job security, and screw you when you get old?

I am pleased that you took issue with my blanket characterization of millenials. Not all millenials live in their parents basement, this is true. But to those of you who do.

Could you at least keep it clean!

There is a third way....our Millennial son is gainfully employed as a bean counter (finance degree...paid for by his parents), and although he indeed still lives in his tiny boyhood bedroom, now trashed to a sorry state of Millennial clutter and filth, all is forgiven because he pays a handsome sum in rent each and every month. Tax free rent is a great deodorant.

If you stop and think about it, Millenials come in two flavors. The first flavor are those who avoid work altogether and live in their parents basement. The second flavor are those who do not feel the need or see it as at all appropriate that they start out working in the warehouse. These millenials are entitled and feel they are destined for upper management and they think they deserve to be made into upper management their first day on the job. Consequently they would quit after their first day before they could learn the difference.

In other words you won’t find a millenial caught dead working in a warehouse or on a loading dock so they have no need to know the difference between a crate and a pallet. Having no need to know the difference they never learn the difference and since they don’t work they certainly have no need to learn the difference.

My apologies to all millennials who work hard and embrace the traditional American work ethic. That would be both of you.

Seems like a broad generalization with the exception of millennials moving back in with their parents which is understandable due to rising costs of renting and owning property in some cities.

The second flavor are those who do not feel the need or see it as at all appropriate that they start out working in the warehouse. These millenials are entitled and feel they are destined for upper management and they think they deserve to be made into upper management their first day on the job. Consequently they would quit after their first day before they could learn the difference.

"I started out working in the mail-room, and 5 years later I was the VP of Mid-West Sales!"

-typical Boomer nostalgia story

Stuff doesn't work that way anymore, gramps. Maybe once upon a time an entry-level job was the first step on the path to a long and rewarding relationship with an employer that would train and invest in employees and reward loyalty in kind. Now your entry-level job is the first step on the way to a slightly more senior menial job that pays slightly higher, and that's about it. You can start off as the burger flipper, and if you stay at it long enough you can work your way up to ... shift supervisor! That career path comes to a dead end.

Normally if I want to hear old-people spout ignorant crap on a Sunday morning I have to head to Denny's and sit at a table near a group of seniors. So thanks for saving me $12 and stomach cramps, I guess. Got any other Boomer advice for us?

"I'm tired of hearing about student loans! When I was that age, I paid my tuition by getting a paper route! Why don't kids just get paper routes?"

"The problem is, kids these days won't roll up their sleeves and work! I told my grandson, you go in there and flip burgers like there's no tomorrow, and you'll be the boss before long!"

-k

I thought the OP was a pretty good description of my boomer generation, living in a broken down VW van on West 4th Ave. in Vancouver, lounging around the steps of the Courthouse an Library, then going to University forever to avoid getting a job. University was cheap and easy in those ancient times. I think Socrates was in my class.

"I started out working in the mail-room, and 5 years later I was the VP of Mid-West Sales!"

-typical Boomer nostalgia story

Stuff doesn't work that way anymore, gramps. Maybe once upon a time an entry-level job was the first step on the path to a long and rewarding relationship with an employer that would train and invest in employees and reward loyalty in kind. Now your entry-level job is the first step on the way to a slightly more senior menial job that pays slightly higher, and that's about it. You can start off as the burger flipper, and if you stay at it long enough you can work your way up to ... shift supervisor! That career path comes to a dead end.

Normally if I want to hear old-people spout ignorant crap on a Sunday morning I have to head to Denny's and sit at a table near a group of seniors. So thanks for saving me $12 and stomach cramps, I guess. Got any other Boomer advice for us?

"I'm tired of hearing about student loans! When I was that age, I paid my tuition by getting a paper route! Why don't kids just get paper routes?"

"The problem is, kids these days won't roll up their sleeves and work! I told my grandson, you go in there and flip burgers like there's no tomorrow, and you'll be the boss before long!"

-k

So here is another ignorant senior spouting crap on a Sunday morning: Yes, I have more "boomer" advice for you. You are not entitled. You are not special. You are in world competition for jobs.

The good news is that things really have not changed that much. Any individual who is ambitious, has developed a positive work ethic, is prepared to learn and listen, and is tolerant of others can achieve any rational goal that they set.

The losers are the ones who blame their parents, bad breaks, ethnicity or any other outside influence for their personal disappointments. Everyone will have challenges. Everyone will find themselves in a position to do the right thing or the easy thing. Everyone will run into superiors with poor management skills. Everyone will have unforeseen setbacks through no fault of their own. It is how you handle them.

You go through life looking for excuses for your shortcomings and you will certainly find them.

Successful and happy seniors are not lucky - they earned their success.

So here is another ignorant senior spouting crap on a Sunday morning: Yes, I have more "boomer" advice for you. You are not entitled. You are not special. You are in world competition for jobs.

The good news is that things really have not changed that much. Any individual who is ambitious, has developed a positive work ethic, is prepared to learn and listen, and is tolerant of others can achieve any rational goal that they set.

The losers are the ones who blame their parents, bad breaks, ethnicity or any other outside influence for their personal disappointments. Everyone will have challenges. Everyone will find themselves in a position to do the right thing or the easy thing. Everyone will run into superiors with poor management skills. Everyone will have unforeseen setbacks through no fault of their own. It is how you handle them.

You go through life looking for excuses for your shortcomings and you will certainly find them.

Successful and happy seniors are not lucky - they earned their success.

And this is where boomer advice falls apart. It relies on anecdotal evidence from other boomers.

Things have changed very much the world is much more especially with the internet and the connectivity with smart phones. Then there is automation and jobs are starting to require degrees. Having a part time job when going through school no longer pays for school even with student loans.

Edited by herples

Baby boomers, Gen X, and Gen Y come in 3 flavours:

The first, a large segment, is beyond stupid and doesn't give a rats ass about anything except what's in front of them in any given moment. The 2nd, another huge segment, is politically active but have been stupid and content enough to spend their lives voting back in politicians who are as much controlled by the corporations and unions that fund their election campaigns and parties as they do the desires of their voters, and when they do listen to the voters the voters seem to be quite content with them racking up massive public debts that the millennials and post-millennials will have to pick up the tab on, not to mention them destroying the environment in numerous ways to fund their yummy superficial keeping-up-with-the-Jones' consumerist lifestyles including teaching their children that the meaning of Christmas is getting lots of presents, because this segment is a bunch of greedy selfish ignorant short-sighted f*cks.

The third segment is mostly like the 2nd but actually cares about the above and tries a wee bit to change things but still votes back in the least-worst of the stupid politicians anyways "because there's no other options" and they sit at home and complain on message boards about it but are too lazy to get up off their asses and actually do anything about it.

All 3 segments above call millennials lazy and entitled even though they gave birth to them and raised them to be like that.

There was a time, back when I was about 23 or 24, I had been to college and found employment in the field of my training. But after about 5 years of working I still didn't have a car and it seemed that I was living paycheck to paycheck and not getting anywhere. I was basically just showing up for work and collecting a paycheck and had started to lose interest in the industry I had trained for. I was doing a lot of complaining back then, similar to Kimmy, as I felt things weren't happening fast enough for me and that life somehow wasn't fair. I was blaming everyone and anything, but mostly the government. At one point, a co-worker, who had grown tired of my complaining, let me have it. He basically laid things out but the main message was that the "government" nor anyone else owed me nothing, certainly not a life. At first I was insulted, and angry. But then I decided I was going to get somewhere in life, with or without, anyone else's help. I started to pay attention at work and started to learn instead of just "doing". Within a year my bosses had started to give me more complicated work and had started to talk promotion. But I had already been searching for work elsewhere, and when I started to move around, things started to get better. I have since started my own business and, while I would certainly not be considered "wealthy", I have done alright and have a pretty comfortable living. And guess what....I'm still working my ass off to maintain what I have, but have retirement in the near future. Sorry, not sorry, Kimmy that you will have to work your own ass off to get what you want in life.....nobody owes you anything.

Edited by Smoke