How you know our media is monopolized...

Scott Mayers

Tonight's broadcast cable listings air the exact show: "Stand Up for Cancer" on ABC, CBS, NBC, CTV, Global.

This is the second time I've noticed our Canadian cable companies ALL co-opt broadcasting for one particular event in concert: "Stand Up for Cancer" is being aired on ALL Network channels including taking over American channels for this one event.

Now, while I don't have anything against anyone standing up for some cause, the nature of our cable companies to be permitted to steal airtime in this way demonstrates proof that those behind control of our media are in sync and hints that they are also of the same owners (by shareholdings).

Live TV is so 20th century. New technology has made broadcast TV a dying medium.

Perhaps. But not all of us are yet cell phone owners contrary to the expected standard demanded of us all here. [This should be another topic...the U.S. has already gone through the recognition of how a large part of the population (the poor) lack the capacity to own a cell phone, and is yet is so essential. They even made it a law that all people require absolute access rights meaning if you can't afford a phone, the gov't must at least supply one for the sake of 911 emergency calls.]

Edited by Scott Mayers

Tonight's broadcast cable listings air the exact show: "Stand Up for Cancer" on ABC, CBS, NBC, CTV, Global.

This is the second time I've noticed our Canadian cable companies ALL co-opt broadcasting for one particular event in concert: "Stand Up for Cancer" is being aired on ALL Network channels including taking over American channels for this one event.

SU2C is an American entertainment fund raising event that is aired on major networks. International partners can run their own version or carry the U.S. feed.

Frankly, what did you expect CTV and Global to air instead of the usual American prime time content that is not otherwise available ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Up_to_Cancer

SU2C is an American entertainment fund raising event that is aired on major networks. International partners can run their own version or carry the U.S. feed.

Frankly, what did you expect CTV and Global to air instead of the usual American prime time content that is not otherwise available ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Up_to_Cancer

I looked at the last few minutes and noticed it claimed that it was Canadian. Regardless, if this extends to the U.S. channels as well, we are in worse trouble. The nature of these channels to even permit simultaneous shows of the exact form other than to one's political leader's speech demonstrates an unusual bias. I don't give a shit whether some cancer fund raising initiative is common to a lot of people's "heart". It merely exploits that to dismiss the significance of the point I am making on the likely connectivity of those who are empowered to make this occur.

Note too that all our internet is also owned now by the same interests. Our media for expressing ourselves should not be 'owned' by private hands as this is precisely what occurs.

I looked at the last few minutes and noticed it claimed that it was Canadian.

The Canadian broadcasters were doing the usual simsub thing that Canadians love so much.

Regardless, if this extends to the U.S. channels as well, we are in worse trouble. The nature of these channels to even permit simultaneous shows of the exact form other than to one's political leader's speech demonstrates an unusual bias.

There were many other programming choices available on cable and digital broadcast sub-channels. I watched my local MLB game on regional Fox Sports while my wife watched SU2C. Joe Mauer hit a home run in the 1st inning.

I don't give a shit whether some cancer fund raising initiative is common to a lot of people's "heart". It merely exploits that to dismiss the significance of the point I am making on the likely connectivity of those who are empowered to make this occur.

Huh ? Just change the channel or turn off the telly.

Note too that all our internet is also owned now by the same interests. Our media for expressing ourselves should not be 'owned' by private hands as this is precisely what occurs.

'Our media' ? Do you know how long I have mocked just how much American media Canadians demand and consume ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

More people in the world have cell phones than access to toilets or potable water.

Yes, although the fact that some countries like Saudi Arabia having 1.8 cell phones per person do tend to skew the statistics. Many countries are above one cell phone per person, I saw one statistic (about a year old) that said there are 3.7 unique subscribers which still leaves almost half the world without one. North America is just above 1 cell phone per person, with Canada slightly below by itself. Smaller states appear to have the highest. Also note that there are many parts of the world, Africa in particular, where there is almost zero land line usage.

I'm forced to accept a package deal and cannot do without the internet now due to everything tied to my email. It is NOT cheap and I cannot figure out how to go 'cheaper'. Suggestions?

Yup I use a droid box with Kodi. It has a huge amount of content including live tv, however a lot of the live TV feeds are not as high quality as you would get for your local cable company. But its free. And its open source too.. if you can write droid you can make your own aggregator of streams from all around the world.

Edited by dre

Yup I use a droid box with Kodi. It has a huge amount of content including live tv, however a lot of the live TV feeds are not as high quality as you would get for your local cable company. But its free. And its open source too.. if you can write droid you can make your own aggregator of streams from all around the world.

I used Kodi for a short while, but fairly quickly abandoned it. The low quality of the streams made watching quite frustrating.