Forum Upgrade and Other Changes

Greg

• Forum Admin

We are doing some maintenance to the server that MLW resides on over the next few weeks, and along with that will come a major upgrade to the actual forum software.

When this occurs, there may be some downtime - meaning the forums will be unavailable for a short period.

I will give everyone a heads up days before this happens, so everyone will be aware.

Also, seeing that this is a major upgrade, we'll likely have to switch the forum "skin" to its default look. Meaning, the look of the forums will change slightly. This is required because the upgrade will likely break our existing "skin" and could possibly make the forum unusable.

This default skin will be used until a new skin is created - I don't have a timeline on when that will happen.

Any questions or comments, feel free to post below or in the support forum.

• Forum Admin

I hope these modifications wont harm the forum traffic because there are many bad examples for these kind of changes and just a few examples for successful ones.

I can't think of any reason it would affect traffic. The new server will be more powerful, meaning the website will load quicker and be more responsive.

In terms of the forum upgrade, we're not changing what type of forum MLW operates on, just upgrading the underlying code. So you can expect improvements to performance and access to additional features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Admin

Will the ability to search old posts improve?

Yes, it should.

However, having 1.1M postings make it difficult to search effectively.

So after the upgrade, i will be investigating other alternatives (perhaps Google Custom Search).

Thanks!

• Forum Admin

I'll have to take your word for it, as I've not used the search functionality much lately.

However, I've heard good things about Google Custom Search, and that would effectively remove all restrictions on search.

When I go to this forum on my iphone and I click on the button on the top 'Political Forums', I get a message 'You don't have permissions to access forum on this server'

Apache server at www.mapleleafweb.com port 80

This never used to happen. Happens in google and safari.

That is the button I use when I want to refresh the screen.

• Forum Admin

When I go to this forum on my iphone and I click on the button on the top 'Political Forums', I get a message 'You don't have permissions to access forum on this server'

Apache server at www.mapleleafweb.com port 80

This never used to happen. Happens in google and safari.

That is the button I use when I want to refresh the screen.

Are you visiting the mobile version or the desktop version on your phone?