Canada’s has announced to China that Canada has no freedom of speech a

bjre

Canada’s has announced to China that Canada has no freedom of speech and no human right last Friday.

Gao Xiao Song is a popular Chinese music producer, songwriter, film director, novelist.

He has even produced a song for Celine Dion in 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DFQkAsAmI

His Talk Show “Xiao Song Talk on Wied Things” is the No. 1 online Talk Show in the world, the show has accumulated viewership of over 850 million, highest in the world, one recent episode has over 40 million hits, has also set the record high. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Xiaosong

Xiaosong works very hard on the show, he went and talked Europa, America, Latin America, Russia ...... he even went to the South Pole. At the same time he also talked about astronomy, geography, and unofficial talk of foreign things, no matter it is right or wrong, political correct or wrong. However, can hundreds of millions of clicks show audience's approval?

The scripts of the first 24 episodes of the talk show have been published. Over 400,000 were sold.

The Talk show releases every Friday morning at 8 am on Youku (Nasdaq: yoku), swpet all the talk show awards in China. The last episode was released on Friday, Aug 19. It talked many nice parts of Canada: http://www.iqiyi.com/v_19rrlz6vu4.html

However, on the Friday of last week (Aug 26), there was no episode released. This even makes many viewers think if Friday had arrived or not.

Gao Xiao Song has to explain to the audience:

Gao Xiaosong

Celebrity certification

http://tw.weibo.com/gaoxiaosong At 9:20 on August 27, 2016 Attention has concerned

In fact, very free speech in Canada, criticized the government criticized the United States or China casually. But this time they are sent to the relevant e-mail and say that aboriginal human rights and an independent Quebec is absolutely not to mention, if the broadcast will be threatened "to rise to the height of very serious political consequences." As advertised freedom and equality in Canada, feel then? !

Xiaosong at 8:25 on August 27, 2016

On induced Xiaosong Qi audience: this program interviewed a Canadian First Nations (indigenous people) of a sheikh, certainly in the current Government of Canada First Nations policy, through the mouth of the chiefs about their historical experience. And commended New Zealand, the United States criticized the aboriginal policy. Unexpectedly strong Canadian authorities were obstructed, resulting in the program indefinitely postponed the broadcast. Telling the truth is fundamental of my talk show. If I cannot tall the truth, I would rather talk nothing at all.

Translated version:

Original version:

Edited by bjre

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are claiming makes no sense.

Who are the "Canadian Authorities"? Certainly not the government because the government does not interfere with new broadcasts as it would be a clear charter violation. If you are talking about private broadcasters then they air what they think their audience will like and that means they are biased. That said, to assess the actions of a private broadcaster we would need to know the actual reason given - not some mangled translation of a translation.

In any case, private broadcasters censoring content is annoying but it does NOT mean there is no free speech in Canada. Your attempt to excuse the abusive Chinese regime by creating false equivalences with Canada is simply rediculous.

Edited by TimG

Who are the "Canadian Authorities"? Certainly not the government because the government does not interfere with new broadcasts as it would be a clear charter violation. If you are talking about private broadcasters then they air what they think their audience will like and that means they are biased. That said, to assess the actions of a private broadcaster we would need to know the actual reason given - not some mangled translation of a translation.

In any case, private broadcasters censoring content is annoying but it does NOT mean there is no free speech in Canada. Your attempt to excuse the abusive Chinese regime by creating false equivalences with Canada is simply rediculous.

Ya I basically agree. Pundits or whomever in the media have no rights to say whatever they want on the private broadcasters dime if the broadcaster doesn't want these things said. You have a right to free speech but not a right to use a company's money and equipment etc to broadcast your speech.

This is both good and bad for our mainstream news media. One the one hand, it can mean what the public wants to hear the media will give them and what they don't care for will be gone as per capitalism & demand. On the other hand, it can be very bad because it means dissenting opinion from what a big corporation wants is silenced, including ignoring stories/opinions deemed not "politically correct", or also if journalists/pundits say/report things that make the advertisers/sponsors of the corporate media outlet look bad then they will silenced no matter how true or in the public interest it may be. Media is usually funded mainly by advertising dollars. Gotta keep the customers satisfied on both ends. You'll find articles on blogs and independent media you'll never ever see reported or discussed in the MSM.

Who are the "Canadian Authorities"? Certainly not the government because the government does not interfere with new broadcasts as it would be a clear charter violation.

An employee with the Globe and Mail since 1988, in September 2006, Ms. Wong penned “Get Under the Desk,” a highly controversial column that linked Montreal’s Dawson College shooting to Quebec identity politics.

The column prompted immediate condemnation from across the Canadian political spectrum, including a letter from Prime Minister Stephen Harper saying it was “completely prejudiced to lay blame on Quebec society in this manner.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/jan-wong-ordered-to-pay-back-209k-to-the-globe-for-disclosing-firing-settlement-details

An employee with the Globe and Mail since 1988, in September 2006, Ms. Wong penned Get Under the Desk, a highly controversial column that linked Montreals Dawson College shooting to Quebec identity politics.

OK. What is the issue? The G&M printed a column that generated a public backlash. The G&M defended her but not as vociferously as Wong wanted. This led to a breakdown in the relationship between Wong and the G&M. She left the G&M with a "big fat cheque", published her own book on the topic which is freely available to any interested reader.

I don't see any freedom of speech issue.

So China should have no freedom of speech because you have heard a lie and insist keep repeat that lie?

Are you honest yourself? Are you talking things you believe yourself?
Your above post seems shows you don't believe freedom speech yourself.
The reason is you keep stealing thread by change topic. When I talk about the behaviour of Canadian government, you try to interrupt and talk about Fa Lun Gong, which I have answered your previously.
So, do you mean Freedom of Speech should not be a right for the people that has different opinion with you, or from first nation, or live in China?
If so, how hypocritical your are.

p.p.s. No it isn't. See everyone's responses to your posts.

I am in Canada for more than 10 years, and in China more than this, how many years you have been stay in China? Where is your knowledge came from? books? teachers? media? or other kind of brainwash material? Like people in the "Allegory of the Cave" ?

An acceleration of the availability and volume of Canadian visas accessible to Chinese citizens that the authorities in Beijing would encourage to sojourn in Canada was one of the many demands enumerated less than three months ago by Wang Yi, the Chinese Foreign Minister who made an international spectacle of himself at a press conference by barking at Canadian journalists that they had “no right” to raise questions about human rights in China.

I don't like Wang Yi. I don't think he handle this well. But the journalist has started all those. What he want is just attacking Liberal, so that she can attract more votes from those brainwashed voters. But her behavior is rude to the guests. It is like when I am talking with you, my friend ask me if I have tell you about Sammy Yatim, Robert Dziekański, Dudley George, Residential Schools, smallpox blankets ...

Yeah, pretty much. Books, Teachers, Falun Gong at Edmonton Farmer's Market, that sort of thing.

A horrifying documentary.

Many documentary tells lies.

China has been keeping hundreds of thousands of Falun Gong members in concentration camps, killing them and harvesting their organs.

Originally, Falun Gong is just an organization that attract people to do excise to improve their health by lies. When it becomes big, US used it, then it become a tool of CIA, when China find it and ban it, most people left that organization and find other ways to do physical exercise. The head of it who said himself is a god move to US. Many people who wanted to become US resident join it in US so that they can say they can not go back to China. During that period, they told lots of lies, or intensionally misleading stories, some of it became documentary.

Canada should stand up against this barbarity and be wary about any trade deals or treaties with China.

Except tell their own lies, many politicians enjoy use lies created by others for their own agenda, no matter they know it was lies or not.

From your post I can see, actually, you know nothing about China. You are just another one who want to cost my time again. I have many post talking about this topic. You can search forum to find it.

There are much more newspapers, TV/radio stations, magazines, books in China than here in Canada. Even now, I buy most books either from US or from China, not in Canada.

I also watch BBC, ABC, listen VOA sometimes when I was in China. Especially VOA special English in a slow speed to improve my English listening skill.

I used infoseek, yahoo, altervister to search in the web before I know google and later I use Baidu quite often.

Before Falun Gun used by US as anti-China tool, several my friends practice it. After that, they practice other things like TaiJi and hundreds of others. They are very well now in China, now one of my friend even become a leader of a department of one of the top Universities in China.

Now, Falun Gun, most oversea Chinese know it is just one of the CIA supported anti-Chinese governement organizations whose work is create rumors for a little small money.

When you search google for lot of other things, it appeared on the top of the result, see how corporate media work with CIA to fool you?

Edited by bjre

OK. What is the issue?

Can Prime Minister Stephen Harper represent the government?

Who are the "Canadian Authorities"? Certainly not the government because the government does not interfere with new broadcasts as it would be a clear charter violation.

The column prompted immediate condemnation from across the Canadian political spectrum, including a letter from Prime Minister Stephen Harper saying it was “completely prejudiced to lay blame on Quebec society in this manner.”

Destination Canada

Destination Canada (formerly the Canadian Tourism Commission) is Canada's national tourism marketing organization. A federal Crown corporation of the Government of Canada

http://en.destinationcanada.com/about-ctc

Destination Canada asks Gao Xiao Song to replace or remove the show of the following pieces:

16'42'' - 17'17'', 19'00 - 20'35, 20'35, 22'44'' - 37''42'', 38'27'' - 38'58'', and other change suggestion for other pieces.

If Canada government can ask a foreign TV show to change according its own taste, how many TV shows has already be interfered by the government inside Canada?

Gao Xiaosong about the program off the air in its original response to the event:
About the program off the air incident: @ Canadian Tourism Commission at the outset is not "Xiaosong Qi on" sponsor. This time they are pressed by a sponsor to Iqiyi, then personally into battle under review, requested the deletion of this program content (Native) Canadian First Nations on human rights issues (see screenshot Mail, Destination Canada is the Canadian Tourism Commission belonging to Canadian-owned agency). This should lead to zero on Friday aired a program has not yet been broadcast, to present the program causing huge losses and negative impacts. More frustrating is that, regardless of the mail, the phone, the Canadian Tourism Commission is very arrogant strong, legal, diplomatic, political threat. Even in the current pressure of public opinion, they would only be allowed to compromise the next broadcast of Quebec independent content, still do not agree to broadcast the interview portion of the current First Nations chiefs. Canada's first domestic Minzuwenhua respect, reflect on history, hope is also open to outside confidence. We adhere to broadcast this issue, the most important reason is the chief's words deeply moved, I hope more people hear their voices. Currently the program is floundering, again to "Xiaosong Qi talk about" audience apology.
Reproduced Please keep this article address: http://www.yuexw.cOM/ent/42/18466.htm

http://www.yuexw.com/ent/42/18466.htm

http://xw.qq.com/ent/20160828008461/ENT2016082800846107

The translated version:

On the issue of human rights in Canada Xiaosong Qi fragment details Truth Uncovered: https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yuexw.com%2Fent%2F42%2F18466.htm&edit-text=&act=url

Edited by bjre

If Canada government can ask a foreign TV show to change according its own taste, how many TV shows has already be interfered by the government inside Canada?

Zero.

Legally the government does not have that power and if the government attempted to do so the courts would intervene.

Freedom of speech is a right protected by an independent judiciary.

The only exceptions are related to "hate speech" but that does not sound like an issue here.

The agency in question is tasked with promoting tourism in Canada so it is rational for them to not want negative stories to run. However, they also would have no legal power to block programming in foreign countries. They could only make their "displeasure" known. It is not clear why the broadcaster complied.

The language used in the article suggests to me that the people hired to represent the agency in China are Chinese-born and approach such disagreements in the "Chinese way" which involves threats and coercion. If the agency took such an attitude in Europe or the US, the broadcaster would respond with derision and laughter.

IOW, I suspect this is really a story about how no free speech rights exist in China and how a Canadian government agency simply followed the norms within China.

Edited by TimG

Zero.

That is likely a fiction that you like to believe. (borrow your words.)

The language used in the article suggests to me that the people hired to represent the agency in China are Chinese-born and approach such disagreements in the "Chinese way" which involves threats and coercion. If the agency took such an attitude in Europe or the US, the broadcaster would respond with derision and laughter.

With your word, you are spin the facts to support narratives that you prefer.

The "Chinese way" is just your imagination, it is only your way.

I am now very curious on what the first nation chief said, If Canada is with freedom speech, Can we hear what he said?

Can Destination Canada release that to Canada audience. Or can National Post or other mainstream media broadcast his opinion?

If it is not possible, that means, Canada has freedom of speech is just a lie.

If we can see it eventually, that would be the first help China has made for Canada to improve its freedom of speech.

Edited by bjre

That is likely a fiction that you like to believe. (borrow your words.)

Please explain how you think the government of Canada would compel a private broadcaster to censor its content. Do you think it can threaten to close the broadcaster or throw journalists in jail? There is absolutely no legal way for the Canadian government to block broadcast of stories on private networks and if the government resorted to illegal ways the private broadcaster would immediately go to courts which have a long track record of telling the government that it is wrong.

So, in this case, I can quite confidently state that there is no way for the Canadian government to censor broadcasts on private networks which means your allegations are nonsense.

I am now very curious on what the first nation chief said

He will be whining about the government not "respecting treaty rights" which is sometimes true but more often government and courts interpret "treaty rights" is ways that he does not like. Whatever he said, anyone who pays attention to Canadian media will have heard the same complaint over and over again. It would not be news.

Please explain how you think the government of Canada would compel a private broadcaster to censor its content. Do you think it can threaten to close the broadcaster or throw journalists in jail? There is absolutely no legal way for the Canadian government to block broadcast of stories on private networks and if the government resorted to illegal ways the private broadcaster would immediately go to courts which have a long track record of telling the government that it is wrong.

So, in this case, I can quite confidently state that there is no way for the Canadian government to censor broadcasts on private networks which means your allegations are nonsense.

An example:

http://www.evangelicalchristian.ca/EC_cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28%3Ahistory-of-censorship-in-canada&catid=9%3Afrontpage&Itemid=35

Dr. Charles McVety
President of Canada Christian College
“to regulate all radio broadcasting in Canada and to provide and deliver to all regions of the country, entertainment and information programs that were primarily Canadian.”
“American pastors can preach the gospel without censorship, where as Canadian pastors are censored every day and may even have their sermons pre screened and some are even taken off the air for preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. “

to regulate all radio broadcasting in Canada and to provide and deliver to all regions of the country, entertainment and information programs that were primarily Canadian.

That law does not give the CRTC the power to censor any individual news story (religious proselytizing is a different question). Nor does the CRTC have any control over newspapers, the internet or other forms of media which would necessary to support any claim of censorship.

Canadian pastors are censored every day and may even have their sermons pre screened and some are even taken off the air for preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.

These groups are running into the special rules for 'religion proselytizing' on public airways. The rules exist because public airways used to be a limited resource and the government felt their should be balance (meaning pushing any one religion is against the rules). They appear to also be used to to enforce the 'hate speech exception' which I mentioned earlier. The exception is troublesome but it is still an narrowly defined exception that does not negate the fact that no news stories (as opposed to opinions deemed to be 'hate speech') can be legally censored in Canada. Edited by TimG

"So China should have no freedom of speech because you have heard a lie and insist keep repeat that lie?"

Non sequitur/red herring.

"Your above post seems shows you don't believe freedom speech yourself."
Further non sequitur/red herring.
"So, do you mean Freedom of Speech should not be a right for the people that has different opinion with you, or from first nation, or live in China?
If so, how hypocritical your are."
Non sequitur/red herring. Its all you have.
Edited by G Huxley

The agency in question is tasked with promoting tourism in Canada so it is rational for them to not want negative stories to run. However, they also would have no legal power to block programming in foreign countries. They could only make their "displeasure" known. It is not clear why the broadcaster complied.

Not clear? Who are you kidding.

If they got other nationals to do their dirty work because their Canadian staff were too cowardly to do it, that in itself renders the deed that much more distasteful.

They just did. Are you freaking blind? The Canadian Tourism Commission is a government corporation. You're a fool to dissociate government policies and their official overtures from their corporations and vice versa. Even if we buy your fuzzy logic, it's still a matter of complicity. You're blindsiding people with that democratic soliloquy while omitting the fact that China is one of, if not the most lucrative markets for attracting tourists, is laughable.

The truth is, First Nations and Chinese people share a history of discrimination and racism in Canada, and First Nations continue to live in appalling conditions forced on them since colonial times. Seeing a leader waddling around with a pretty face, saying how much he wants to have better relations with First Nations, while his government agencies censor First Nations people, preventing them from engaging with the international community is bad. The removal of the Chief from Chinese media at the request of Tourism Canada is pretty awful discrimination.

Basically they were shaking with fear at the prospect of having 850 MILLION foreign viewers watch a First Nations chief speak about current issues or whatever was on his mind. How fearful is the Canadian government at the prospect of 850 MILLION Chinese viewers being exposed to any discrepancy, such as for example how the RCMP engage in acts of kidnap and rape of aboriginal women in Northern BC? Its on record that the government was publicly dismissive of this very Human Rights Watch report.

We can all improve our institutions and the Chinese should be encouraged towards this end. If there's nothing good to offer, then one shouldn't be destructive in either poor ethics or trade. For example, tangibly speaking, Canadian Canola seed is not a nutritious culinary product. I've heard that large swaths of Canola in Saskatchewan have been contaminated through GMO cross pollination. This was a result of Canada's (continued) lax policies towards GMO foods and supplies. What do Chinese tourists and Canola imports have in common? Billions of dollars at stake. These sorts of trade missions are merely a plan B to the reluctance of populations toward TTIP and CETA which would corrupt the quality of food systems worldwide.

Edited by ogopogo

.....These groups are running into the special rules for 'religion proselytizing' on public airways. The rules exist because public airways used to be a limited resource and the government felt their should be balance (meaning pushing any one religion is against the rules). They appear to also be used to to enforce the 'hate speech exception' which I mentioned earlier. The exception is troublesome but it is still an narrowly defined exception that does not negate the fact that no news stories (as opposed to opinions deemed to be 'hate speech') can be legally censored in Canada.

Thanks for the explanation and history on this, but the policy is problematic for a nation that espouses freedom of expression and religious rights.

So far, the exceptions include "false news", "hate speech", and now "religious proselytizing" ? This also partially explains why I have seen/heard Canadian religious programming on U.S. air/broadcasts (radio & television).

To its credit, the CBC state broadcaster ran the story of Crown Corp censorship for this Destination Canada action:

A Chinese TV star is accusing the Crown corporation that promotes Canadian tourism abroad of censorship for its opposition to an episode of his program that looked at the rights of Aboriginal people.

Gao Xiaosong, a singer and a former judge on China's Got Talent, had an episode of his talk show pulled from popular Chinese video-streaming site iQiyi.com last Friday after Destination Canada intervened to voice its concerns about an interview with a First Nations chief.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/destination-canada-censorship-china-1.3740154

Edited by bush_cheney2004

If they got other nationals to do their dirty work because their Canadian staff were too cowardly to do it, that in itself renders the deed that much more distasteful.

A tourism agency was sponsoring a show. The show had content that undermined what it hoped to achieve. It is perfectly legitimate for any sponsor to complain if the show they are sponsoring attacks them. The alleged tone of the complaints is just that: "alleged". We don't know what was actually said.

The truth is, First Nations and Chinese people share a history of discrimination and racism in Canada

And the Chinese are among the most racist people on the planet. What is your point? Chinese might have experienced problems in Canada in the past but that is nothing compared to the abuses been heaped on the Tibetans, Uigers and other minorities trapped in China today.

How fearful is the Canadian government at the prospect of 850 MILLION Chinese viewers being exposed to any discrepancy

The entire episode is nothing but propaganda by the Chinese government looking to point the finger elsewhere instead of letting their own people know about the gross human rights abuses that go on in China on a daily basis. The idea that Natives in a Canada are treated poorly compared to the way the Chinese government treats its own citizens is laughable.

Frankly, I find it offensive that the Chinese government would push to air a show attacking Canada while it keeps its own people ignorant.

Edited by TimG

The entire episode is nothing but propaganda by the Chinese government ....

Did you even watched it? it has never been broadcast. How often do you tell lies like this?

Can you tell me any Chinese government member that showed American passport in China when caught by police after drinking drive and then stay in jail for 6 months?
Gao Xiaosong was detained, after his wild driving caused a multi-car collision Monday night. Photo provided by The Legal Mirrow
2011-05-13
Pop star Gao Xiaosong pledged Wednesday that he would never again drive while drunk after he was detained by Beijing police.
The 42-year-old singer and the most outspoken judge on several variety shows was detained after his wild driving caused a multi-car collision involving four vehicles that injured four people Monday night, police reported.
Gao was detained Tuesday morning and may face between one and six months of imprisonment under the newly-amended Road Traffic Safety Law that came into
effect on May 1, Xinhua reported.
As for media reports that Gao held a US passport that would help him skirt possible conviction, an official at the Dongcheng District Detachment of the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau said, “That’s impossible.”
“Gao is Chinese. Even if he also holds a foreign passport, he will face
the penalty if convicted of drunk driving here in China,” he said.
And the media company where the episode supposed to broadcast is not a state-owned company:
iQiyi (iQiyi.com), formerly known as Qiyi, is China's leading advertising supported online television and movie portal that focuses on fully licensed, high-definition, professionally produced contents. The company was invested by Baidu, Inc. and Providence Equity Partners in early 2010. Baidu acquired the Providence Equity Partners stake in iQiyi in November 2012.
December 10, 2007
On Tuesday, Baidu became the first Chinese company to join the Nasdaq 100 index, placing it among the world's most valuable technology companies.

Frankly, I find it offensive that the Chinese government would push to air a show attacking Canada while it keeps its own people ignorant.

The fact is Canada government keep its own people ignorant on native chief while push to air content blame China's human right situation, and you did not say you find it offensive.

Edited by bjre

And the media company where the episode supposed to broadcast is not a state-owned company:

As if that makes a difference. The Chinese government keeps tight control over media - public and private. Nothing gets put on air unless it conveys the message the Communist Party wants. How many programs have been broadcast on this "private media" that document the abuse of the Tibetans and Uighurs? How many Chinese think the policy of forced assimilation for conquered people is a bad thing? Natives love to blame the government everything in Canada but they have rights and privileges in Canada that minorities in countries like China would never dream of.

The fact is Canada government keep its own people ignorant on native chief while push to air content blame China's human right situation, and you did not say you find it offensive.

Your little story was covered on Canadian media. Whatever the chief said I am sure he has said the same thing on Canadian media. The exact content was not broadcast because Canadians have heard the same thing over and over. This story is about the Chinese government wishing to distract its people from the gross human rights abuses at home.

Just heard on the radio. that Justin is putting money into a Asian infrastructure bank ,run by china. They say it will create jobs, anybody have any idea what this is.

China did not like the long standing Asian Development Bank because Japan had too much influence over it so it created a competing organization that it could control and ensure that it could be used to promote Chinese interests. There is nothing inherently wrong with this except China did not want to fund the bank by itself so it sought partners to provide money which the Chinese could dispense and claim credit. The rules were designed in a way to make it relatively inexpensive for European countries to join but very expensive for Japan and the US. It should come as no surprise that Japan and the US want nothing to do with the bank while Europeans jumped on board in order to gain favour with China. Canada is playing the same game as the Europeans.

That said, there will be no benefits flowing to Canada. This is a Chinese bank that exists only to promote China and to create benefits for Chinese companies and workers.

Edited by TimG

That said, there will be no benefits flowing to Canada. This is a Chinese bank that exists only to promote China and to create benefits for Chinese companies and workers.

That's a good overview TimG. From what I've read in the media, joining this bank is guaranteed to lead to a wonderful new found friendship with China and enhanced trade relations. I've also read that mixed messages are coming out of the talks taking place in China.