26 birth houses identified used by Mainland Chinese.

Just because you don't like the term racist doesn't make what's happening in this thread not true.

People like you are the reason why Trump has done as well has he has. Constantly screaming racist anytime someone disagrees with you simply makes the term meaningless. Stop abusing the English language because you are unable to present a rational argument.

People like you are the reason why Trump has done as well has he has. Constantly screaming racist anytime someone disagrees with you simply makes the term meaningless. Stop abusing the English language because you are unable to present a rational argument.

Yup, changing an immigration law that applies equally to anyone trying to get Canadian citizenship is now racist. Such are the times we live in.

I have provided rational arguments. There is NO evidence we need to spend millions or billions to overhaul the immigration system.

There is NO evidence we need to spend millions or billions to overhaul the immigration system.

This is a completely irrational argument because a simple change to the rules will cost next to nothing. Your use of the word "overhaul" is a gross exaggeration designed to make it sound more difficult that it is. Edited by TimG

I can likely find more than you guys have presented.

The article grossly exaggerates the problem. The documentation required when registering the birth is a proof of citizenship or immigration status at the time of the birth for one parent. One extra document which could easily be submitted with the birth registration.

What the article does do is lay out a bunch of emotional arguments which really don't mean anything to me. The question is whether Canada benefits by granting citizenship to all people born here and the answer from your op writer seems to be "no" since the numbers are so small.

I also find it ironic that the writer seems to support the blood-based feudalism represented by native rights claims while claiming the rest of us should accept anyone for second tier Canadian citizenship. Tell you what: get rid of the entire racist edifice of the aboriginal rights industry and then we can talk about equality as a principle.

Edited by TimG

Here's a start. https://bccla.org/2014/08/born-equal-citizenship-by-birth-is-who-we-are/

I can likely find more than you guys have presented.

Immigration lawyers who make their living off this sort of thing. Yeah, that's real convincing.

They're also openly lying. Stats Canada does not have the evidence of foreign birth since the hospitals don't keep records or ask mothers when registering the birth whether they are Canadian.

Edited by Argus

They're also openly lying. Stats Canada does not have the evidence of foreign birth since the hospitals don't keep records or ask mothers when registering the birth whether they are Canadian.

Ya, the hospitals made that very clear when this whole issue came up.

As far as passports go, your citizenship determines your eligibility for a passport, not your birth certificate.

We've always done it that way. I can't remember how many times I heard that during my career to justify procedures that had been outdated for 30 years.

That's funny, because owning my own business, I've learned not to change things based on emotions.

Oh really? And I thought the spirit of what Canada represented was people coming here and making a new life. Apparently to Liberals it's people taking a passport and then going back to China.

It's both. Always has been.

That's funny, because owning my own business, I've learned not to change things based on emotions.

Did you just ignore any change in order to avoid making any changes yourself?. The proliferation of birth houses for visiting foreigners is a new phenomena in our country, not the way it "always has been"

Edited by Wilber

Did you just ignore any change in order to avoid making any changes yourself?. The proliferation of birth houses for visiting foreigners is a new phenomena in our country, not the way it "always has been"

Is 26 a proliferation? This deserves study - not uninformed action.

It's completely ridiculous. The angst about all this. Watch out. The Asians are coming!!!

They are already here and that's OK as long as it is to stay and pay taxes, not just take a birth certificate and run so they can be eligible for citizenship whenever it suits them.