The Raw, in-your-face corruption of Ontario's Liberal government

Political corruption is nothing new, especially for Liberals. The Chretien Liberals used to sell time to big business too, before Chretien decided to give Paul Martin a kick in the crotch just before having the reins of power torn from his hands. But the Ontario Liberals take it to new lows by assigning quotas to ministers to gather money off those companies they are tasked with overseeing, supervising and regulating.

Each minister has a price list as to how much it costs to get in to see him during money raising events. The cost of a meeting with Kathleen Wynne is $10,000 for example. You might think this sort of thing would be ruled out of order by the ethics commissioner, and it probably would have been, before the Wynne government exempted such things from the ethics commissioner's oversight.

The cash for favors game is so blatant it's hard to believe anyone could buy the Liberal's phony indignation that they aren't scratching the backs of the corporations which have poured millions into their pockets.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/summer-sale-ontario-politicians-priced-to-move/article30828319/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-liberal-cash-for-access-fundraisers-a-list-of-the-likely-guests/article30782414/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: wow! That's some hard-hitting investigative journalism... that the Ontario Liberals could curry such favour for such piddling amounts!!!

One was on June 9, 2014, just before the 2014 election on June 14, and was attended by Mr. Sousa. It was a small event – just 12 tickets were sold at $5,000 a piece. At least three insurance companies bought tickets.

The second one, on Oct. 5, 2015, was even smaller. Only nine tickets were sold, at $3,000 each, and there were at least five insurance companies present.

don't wait for an actual analysis of that described, "159 such private events and another 64 fundraisers"... over 3 years - raising $19.6 bmillion. You know, something that could actually address the editorial itself. I guess there might be industry reps attending some of those! It's too bad the G&M couldn't provide a summary accounting - then again, the $30K in purchased tickets for those 2 example events is "earth shattering" enough. Oh my... powerful Argus - powerful stuff!

Edited by waldo

:lol: wow! That's some hard-hitting investigative journalism... that the Ontario Liberals could curry such favour for such piddling amounts!!!

don't wait for an actual analysis of that described, "159 such private events and another 64 fundraisers"... over 3 years - raising $19.6 bmillion. You know, something that could actually address the editorial itself. I guess there might be industry reps attending some of those! It's too bad the G&M couldn't provide a summary accounting - then again, the $30K in purchased tickets for those 2 example events is "earth shattering" enough. Oh my... powerful Argus - powerful stuff!

So it's your position that corporate executives are paying your Liberal party millions of dollars for... the food?

Edited by Argus

That's a weak rebuttal, even from you, desperate times.

I am thinking that the Liberal accountants are of the school "watch the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves". If only wynne could teach her finance ministry that same lesson.

So it's your position that corporate executives are paying your Liberal party millions of dollars for... the food?

That's a weak rebuttal, even from you, desperate times.

guys, guys... it's not "my Liberal party"... I don't live in Ontario! C'mon poochy - there's really little/nothing to rebut. Rules are being followed and absolutely no (none, nada, zilch) claims of influence peddling have been made... no examples have been provided showing the Ontario government favouring the paying attendees with contracts or favourable policy decisions. Talk about a fizzled nothing of a so-called investigative "scoop" by the G&M! When the best the G&M can throw down is a suggestion that "the perception of a conflict of interest exists"... and here Argus you so trumpeted that "scoop"! But hey, no worries... new rules are being written for pending fall legislative review - you know, to deal with "optics and perceptions".

Argus, your own article (and a prior G&M lead-in article) actually quote industry reps and lobbyists speaking to why they attend... what they believe they can learn/recognize... and factor - and, surprisingly, it's more than your "food reference"!

I think the Ontario Liberals are pretty corrupt but as they have a very cozy relationship with the OPP they seem to be largely immune from serious charges.They do what it takes to get elected in this province,which means rewarding our massive Public Service.The unions campaign for the Liberals and they get rewarded in the end.The Liberals do not govern for the benefit of all people in Ontario.

guys, guys... it's not "my Liberal party"... I don't live in Ontario! C'mon poochy - there's really little/nothing to rebut. Rules are being followed and absolutely no (none, nada, zilch) claims of influence peddling have been made..

It's bloody obvious its influence peddling. Companies don't waste millions on chatting with politicians if there isn't a profit to be had out of it.

. no examples have been provided showing the Ontario government favouring the paying attendees with contracts or favourable policy decisions.

I think the fact the banks which got to handle selling off Hydro One (and made millions from it) were pouring money into Liberal coffers is more than sufficient evidence.

It's bloody obvious its influence peddling. Companies don't waste millions on chatting with politicians if there isn't a profit to be had out of it.

I think the fact the banks which got to handle selling off Hydro One (and made millions from it) were pouring money into Liberal coffers is more than sufficient evidence.

if it's so obvious... why didn't that "investigative hit job" from the G&M present the evidence... actual evidence... not your preferred inference ala innuendo! For all the G&M's blustering over "inside industry sources" coming forward, how is it those "insiders" failed to provide any, uhhh..... you know... actual evidence of your claimed influence peddling?

Speaking of cash for favours, here is the Ontario PC party

Nice deflection! But they aren't in power nor in position to grant government largess in exchange for money. If Brown and his PCs get elected I expect real reform for fundraising. If not I will be just as unhappy with them. And you? I take it you are okay with political corruption as long as it involves Liberals?

Edited by Argus

Nice deflection! But they aren't in power nor in position to grant government largess in exchange for money. If Brown and his PCs get elected I expect real reform for fundraising. If not I will be just as unhappy with them. And you? I take it you are okay with political corruption as long as it involves Liberals?

So you are suggesting that only the opposition can hold fund raisers? Is that you method of ensuring that we always switch between ruling parties?

Who said I was ok with anything? I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Political corruption is nothing new, especially for Liberals. The Chretien Liberals used to sell time to big business too, before Chretien decided to give Paul Martin a kick in the crotch just before having the reins of power torn from his hands. But the Ontario Liberals take it to new lows by assigning quotas to ministers to gather money off those companies they are tasked with overseeing, supervising and regulating.

Each minister has a price list as to how much it costs to get in to see him during money raising events. The cost of a meeting with Kathleen Wynne is $10,000 for example. You might think this sort of thing would be ruled out of order by the ethics commissioner, and it probably would have been, before the Wynne government exempted such things from the ethics commissioner's oversight.

The cash for favors game is so blatant it's hard to believe anyone could buy the Liberal's phony indignation that they aren't scratching the backs of the corporations which have poured millions into their pockets.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/summer-sale-ontario-politicians-priced-to-move/article30828319/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-liberal-cash-for-access-fundraisers-a-list-of-the-likely-guests/article30782414/

The sad part about it all is that the stunned electorate voted for the liberals in Ontario. If one votes liberal what did they expect? An honest and truthful party of people who are concerned about their well being? What a laugh. It's all about money and power with the liberals, and nothing more.

What is needed is a law that says that if a politician is caught lying to the people or stealing(wasting)tax dollars foolishly or found in a corruption or bribery investigation they will be arrested and charged with theft and misuse of taxpayer;s tax dollars and trust and sent to jail. They lose their pension.

But this takes courage and the will of we the people to want to put an end to what political parties like the liberals like to do with their bosses, the taxpayer's, who pay their salaries. In the private sector what the liberals do would not be allowed to happen. The person would get fired or charged criminally. But until the day comes when the people start to give a crap as to how their tax dollars are being blown nothing will change.

So you are suggesting that only the opposition can hold fund raisers? Is that you method of ensuring that we always switch between ruling parties?

Who said I was ok with anything? I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Why don't you go back and read the post you responded to, but apparently couldn't be bothered to read.

The Ontario Conservatives deserve some of the blame (John Tory for his stupid comments about religious schools, Hudak for his monumentally stupid comments about the public service), but the majority of blame has to go to the Ontario voters who keep re-electing the Liberals. McGuinty, Wynne and their cohorts are just doing what Liberals do, it is up the electorate to punish them, but voters in Ontario just wont do that.

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have been sent to the woodshed for 13 years and counting.

The Liberals have been very good at winning elections. Unfortunately, they've shown no talent or ability to actually run the province.

The Liberals have been very good at winning elections.

No, you miss the point. The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have been very bad at winning elections. Nobody, repeat nobody wanted the Liberals last time around and very few the previous time; they just wanted the PCs even less.

No, you miss the point. The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have been very bad at winning elections. Nobody, repeat nobody wanted the Liberals last time around and very few the previous time; they just wanted the PCs even less.

Why? Because they felt the PCs would stop the gravy train, start cutting back on spending. Inevitably, that meant the overpaid public service would be downsized, and that the swollen bank accounts of teachers would be in for a bit of a diet. When you boil it all down, Canadians LIKE getting something for nothing. They LIKE getting all these great programs and services without paying for them. And if their kids have to face huge tax burdens one day, well, tough luck to them.

Why? Because they felt the PCs would stop the gravy train, start cutting back on spending. Inevitably, that meant the overpaid public service would be downsized, and that the swollen bank accounts of teachers would be in for a bit of a diet. When you boil it all down, Canadians LIKE getting something for nothing. They LIKE getting all these great programs and services without paying for them. And if their kids have to face huge tax burdens one day, well, tough luck to them.

The PCs have a bigger gravy train than the Liberals, the only difference is their gravy train only stops at the door of their corporate crony buddies. The PCs cut back on spending by giving away the farm to their friends and have them collect inflated revenue from the farm; Hydro, 407ETR, labs for monitoring water quality, etc.

It sounds like America's not the only place where there's corporate/government-connected corruption.

Why shouldn't a country that is so heavily influenced by American popular culture not be influenced by American style political corruption? Ask any Canadian about House of Cards, and they will probably tell you that it is American, and the 'U' in 'FU' stands for Underwood not Urquhart.