Canada surrenders to Mexico

Despite Mexico meeting none of the conditions Canada put on them when it added them to the long, long list of countries which require visas for their citizens to enter Canada, Mister Sunny Days lifted the requirement today.

The Liberal 'evidence based' government ignored all the evidence provided to them by their own public servants, who strongly advised against lifting the visa requirement and pointed out that before it was imposed Canada was spending half a billion a year processing phony refugee claims. Given the situation down there has worsened that amount will almost certainly rise.

Trudeau's response, I'm given to understand is "Money? Who cares about money!? We got lots! Sunny days!"

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/canada-to-drop-visa-requirements-for-mexican-citizens-this-year-trudau-says-at-three-amigos-summit

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite Mexico meeting none of the conditions Canada put on them when it added them to the long, long list of countries which require visas for their citizens to enter Canada, Mister Sunny Days lifted the requirement today.

The Liberal 'evidence based' government ignored all the evidence provided to them by their own public servants, who strongly advised against lifting the visa requirement and pointed out that before it was imposed Canada was spending half a billion a year processing phony refugee claims. Given the situation down there has worsened that amount will almost certainly rise.

Trudeau's response, I'm given to understand is "Money? Who cares about money!? We got lots! Sunny days!"

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/canada-to-drop-visa-requirements-for-mexican-citizens-this-year-trudau-says-at-three-amigos-summit

His real answer was ... "We've got the beef!"

:)

Really, now we are concerned about a few hundred phoney asylum seekers when we just admitted 25,000 Syrian refugees.

Let's also consider the tourism benefits to Canada, investment in Canada, etc.

Tourism from Mexico was always tiny, and trade is mostly us buying products made in Mexico that used to be made here before NAFTA.

The visa was imposed because we were getting over 10,000 asylum claims per year, 92% of which were rejected, even under our fairly generous guidelines.

It costs $50,000 each to process a refugee claim. That is why the Harper government listened to its bureacrats and imposed the visa requirement, which quickly dropped asylum claims from Mexico to about 1000.

There was no reason for Mexico to take umbrage at this as Canada requires visas from more than 100 countries, but the macho mentality of its corrupt, incompetent leaders decided to take offense and demand it be removed. The Conservatives ignored them. The Liberals caved in.

I know $500,000,000 a year wasted on phony claims seems like nothing to you, but there are a good deal of other uses we could find for that money, especially given we have to borrow it to begin with. This decision will cost us billions - for no benefit.

Edited by Argus

Justin wouldn't want to risk a stern word or steely glance from his Amigo.

The Mexican government is no one's friend. It is thoroughly corrupt from top to bottom, and its security forces and police are as bad, if not worse. There is a security element to this, too. One of the requirements the Conservatives imposed on them to consider lifting the visa requirement was that they straighten out their passport system, which, like the rest of their government, is so corrupt anyone can buy a passport, regardless of whether they qualify. Needless to say, this was not addressed.

The visa was imposed because we were getting over 10,000 asylum claims per year, 92% of which were rejected, even under our fairly generous guidelines.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was because they 'landed' in the US first, and it's considered a safe country, so they didn't qualify for asylum under Harper's rules.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was because they 'landed' in the US first, and it's considered a safe country, so they didn't qualify for asylum under Harper's rules..

There were a number of reasons. But principally, people are fleeing Mexico not because of a tyrannical government which is oppressing them and putting masses of people into horrible dark prisons where they'll be tortured, for the most part, but because of the poverty, crime and violence. That generally does not qualify you for asylum under UN guidelines. I don't know the numbers which came across the US border but I doubt they're that great. Imposing a visa would have done nothing to affect them. Without a visa you can't fly here, but you can still drive up to the border post and then say "I claim refugee status" and at that point they have to process you.

They didn't buy it before, except in tiny quantities. Even the CBC said this was mostly a symbolic move.

No, Mexico bought significant amounts meat prior to the mad cow disaster. It has built back up to half the original amount over time, now it might increase some. Mexico is the third largest consumer of CDN beef after USA and Hong Kong.

No, the main reason we caved in was that Justin needs to feel the love everywhere, all the time. When this 'summit ' concludes, he wants that hug from Nieto to be heartfelt and genuine.

They both have nice hair .I am amazed they did not get into a pissing match over who is the cutest.

somehow, others in the thread managed to discuss issues/influences beyond your perpetual fixation with the superficial and your continued personalization - go figure!

one influence surprisingly not mentioned in the OP was the 'cock-up' unleashed by former Harper Conservative Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Diane Finley... yet another gem Harper buried in an omnibus bill: Conservative Colours - The Harper Conservatives and the colour-coding of Canada

Rather than enable meaningful public and parliamentary debate on this Act {Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)}, which plays a pivotal role in populating the country, growing the labour force and, not incidentally, building the citizenry, Harper opted to change things by legislative stealth. Without consultation or warning, the Conservatives introduced their bundled bill in mid-March. This legislation gives the Immigration Minister the power to decide who gets into Canada and who doesn’t, regardless of Canada’s admission criteria laid out in other legislation.

Against the very real backdrop of nearly a million people waiting for years in a growing backlog of applications for Canadian citizenship, Harper proposed to tackle the problem by changing the rules of selection and granting the Immigration Minister unprecedented powers to fast-track some classes of immigrants and discard others.

Visa officers would no longer use standardized rules to assess applicants. Instead, the Minister would determine who gets in and who does not.

one influence surprisingly not mentioned in the OP was the 'cock-up' unleashed by former Harper Conservative Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Diane Finley... yet another gem Harper buried in an omnibus bill: Conservative Colours - The Harper Conservatives and the colour-coding of Canada

I'm struggling to figure out how what you posted above has anything whatsoever to do with the topic of Mexican visas. Help me out here.

Edited by Argus

I'm struggling to figure out how what you posted above have anything whatsoever to do with the topic of Mexican visas. Help me out here.

the provided quote from the document speaks volumes... one of the influences contributing to an increase in "questionable" asylum claims is/was said to be the years-long waiting lists for regular processing. Not only did Harper's under the cover of omnibus changes not improve processing backlog, it increased it... notwithstanding the level of promised additional personnel hiring to assist in processing the backlog never materialized.

the provided quote from the document speaks volumes... one of the influences contributing to an increase in "questionable" asylum claims is/was said to be the years-long waiting lists for regular processing. Not only did Harper's under the cover of omnibus changes not improve processing backlog, it increased it... notwithstanding the level of promised additional personnel hiring to assist in processing the backlog never materialized.

Edited by WestCoastRunner