"Put Britain First" - Right Wing Extremism on the rise

With Right Wing Nationalism rhetoric on the rise in the West, we're seeing more and more violent behaviour. From the Norway right wing extremist who killed 77 people and injured dozens of others, to the increasing attacks on immigrants, what's the right way to approach this?

Jo Cox, a Labour MP was stabbed and shot by a man yelling "Put Britain first".

Link

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The right approach would be to put him in jail and throw away the key. After a trial of course, and assuming he is found guilty.

The question is, what do you do with people who agree with him? People who haven't done anything themselves, but have the same beliefs.

I'd definitely keep an eye on them. How about you?

An astounding aspect of the assassination of UK MP Jo Cox is a complete lack of interest on part of the U.K. and US media in the man who has committed the murder --I have been reading one news item after another in both UK and the US --as in this NYTimes piece the assassin is not even named--now you have to read and read finally to fish out that the assassin is a white man named Tommy Mair who was heard shouting "Britain First" as he carried his murder --now that is the name of the far right political party in the UK.

Now just imagine for a second if the name of the assassin was not Tommy Mair but "Mohammad Moustafa," he was not a white man but a colored person, he did not scream "Britain First" but "Allahu Akbar!" By now the entire BBC apparatus and the New York Times and CNN would have been on red alert, "terrorist experts" would be on their ways to their studios, from President Obama and Prime Minister Cameron to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump would have called Press conferences and debated the term "Islamic extremism," and Benjamin Netanyahu would have been on his way to London as a sign of solidarity, declaring how Israelis are also victims of "terrorism," and the Internet would be abuzz with "Je Sui Jo Cox".

May Jo Cox rest in peace --from all I have read she was a remarkable public servant and a decent human being --but she has left behind a ghastly racist world in which the UK and US media and politicians have come together so that the very dictionary definition of the word "terrorism" has been exclusively coded to mean "Muslim."

Very tragic news indeed! May she rest in peace...

Just tells you lots about the mentality of some of these right wing nut jobs in the midst of Brexit.

Corbyns labour party has been subject to many criticism recently first Ken Livingstone's departure after the interview on radio and now this...

Now just imagine for a second if the name of the assassin was not Tommy Mair but "Mohammad Moustafa,"

"Britain First" has never advocated violence as means to achieve its political aims so someone shouting those words as they kill someone has no significance beyond the rantings of a crazy person. OTOH, various Islamist groups regularly promote and participate in violence so a killer shouting 'Allahu Akbar' does have a significance beyond the individual carrying out the act.

Just tells you lots about the mentality of some of these right wing nut jobs in the midst of Brexit.

The guy was a nutjob but he sane compared to people like Corbyn who live in fantasy world and is completely blind to the inevitable consequences of his policies. Edited by TimG

An astounding aspect of the assassination of UK MP Jo Cox is a complete lack of interest on part of the U.K. and US media in the man who has committed the murder --I have been reading one news item after another in both UK and the US --as in this NYTimes piece the assassin is not even named--now you have to read and read finally to fish out that the assassin is a white man named Tommy Mair who was heard shouting "Britain First" as he carried his murder --now that is the name of the far right political party in the UK.

That might fit your narrative but it is completely untrue. I knew all that information almost immediately and it was repeated on the websites of The Independent, The Guardian, The Telegraph, The BBC, The CBC. In fact, read my status update at 11:29 yesterday.

I didn't read any USA media on the subject.

Edited by bcsapper

No, various radical Islamist groups promote violence, yet suddenly you start blaming Islam and not the radicals.

Islamist is usually defined as separate from Islam or Islamic, and means a more conservative group with the goal of implementing Islamic laws.

It's all a bit vague, but to use the word is not to tar all of Islam.

No, various radical Islamist groups promote violence, yet suddenly you start blaming Islam and not the radicals.

I said 'Islamist' not 'Muslim'. There is a difference. While there may be some Islamist groups that don't advocate violence I would expect them to be in the minority.

And yet it ends up tarring them anyway. Maybe it's just the way it sounds when certain people use it. I'm pretty sure when we hear a phrase like 'those on the left' it doesn't don't mean everyone on the left or does it?

It's up to the individual to make the distinction. When you blame conservatives for something, I know you don't mean me.

Edited by bcsapper

The guy was a nutjob but he sane compared to people like Corbyn who live in fantasy world and is completely blind to the inevitable consequences of his policies.

It didn't instill much confidence seeing Jeremy in that fur coat. I mean what what he thinking? The white version of Ali G....

But to put the the blame on him and his policies is out of order....

Edited by kactus

I thought you were a centrist.

My good friend Donald however proposed we ban all conservatives from entering Canada.

I am, but how do you define "centrist"? Is it that all one's views are down the middle, or is it that one has both left and right views such that they cancel each other out?

I voted Conservative.

The guy was a nutjob

So was the Orlando shooter, who happens to be Muslim. But he's a terrorist and not the guy in Britain. And not the dozens of white guys who have gone on shooting sprees in the US. Terrorism is only committed by Muslims and you're participating in spreading this lie.

So was the Orlando shooter, who happens to be Muslim. But he's a terrorist and not the guy in Britain. And not the dozens of white guys who have gone on shooting sprees in the US. Terrorism is only committed by Muslims and you're participating in spreading this lie.

Nutjobs and terrorists are not mutually exclusive. One can be both. In fact, I think to be a terrorist you pretty much have to be a nutjob as well.

But he's a terrorist and not the guy in Britain.

Because ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-claim-idUSKCN0YY0VU

. Every British party has denied any association with the killer.

Terrorism is using violence to achieve political objectives which implies there must be more than just the shooter. The ISIL link makes Orlando terrorism. No corresponding link exists in the British case.

Because ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-claim-idUSKCN0YY0VU

. Every British party has denied any association with the killer.

Terrorism is using violence to achieve political objectives which implies there must be more than just the shooter. The ISIL link makes Orlando terrorism. No corresponding link exists in the British case.

Disagree. The fact he killed her with a political goal in mind make him a terrorist, in my view. An affiliation is not necessary for the definition.

Disagree. The fact he killed her with a political goal in mind make him a terrorist, in my view.

We aren't even sure there was a political goal. From what I read the claim that he uttered 'Britain First' has not been confirmed and at least one witness says it was made up: http://www.lbc.co.uk/jo-cox-witness-says-no-one-shouted-britain-first-132375