Capybaras Outwit Mankind

In lieu of the recent unfortunate incident at a zoo there the score ended – Man 3, Gorilla 0, it looks like the wild is racking up a few points on man:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/06/10/capybaras-still-playing-peekaboo.html

A couple of weeks ago, two exotic creatures were purchased by the zoo in High Park in Toronto. They were two capybaras, which look like guinea pigs inflated to the size of sheep. While being transferred from the cages to the enclosure, these freedom lovers scampered to what they thought was freedom.

They were soon referred to as “Bonnie” and “Clyde” and are continued to be cheered on by the social media. As of this writing, they have been sighted about 4 times but have not been captured.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-high-park-capybaras-folk-heroes-for-the-social-media-age/article30403406/

A German naturalist named Georg Marcgrave, writing in 1648 – left the strange observation that Capybaras are “superlative swimmers and pissers.” Now who could fail to love such an animal!

Go Bonnie and Clyde Go !!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who finds the idea of feral capybaras taking over Toronto to be quite enchanting? This really appeals to my sense of whimsy.

-k

I agree with you. I can see the makings of a Walt Disney movie where Bonnie and Clyde end up making their way back to South America. I understand that there are folks in Toronto building a giant mouse trap that they hope will catch these rodents.

One of these freedom loving giant rodents has been captured. Apparently it could not resist some fresh Canadian corn and was trapped in an attempt to get some (and bring it back to its mate):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/capybara-caught-1.3631942

While the capture was celebrated by the wildlife crew, they were unable to confirm whether it was Bonnie or Clyde.

That may be fodder for another news flash!

• 2 weeks later...