Gorilla Pays Price For Human Error

...An African sold into slavery on an American plantation in many ways had a better life than one that remained in Africa... But like I said that natural opposition to captivity is a bigger motivating factor for most animals.

Nice ! Not only speaking for "Africans sold into slavery"...but comparing them to "animals".

End result - Negligent mother absolved, Zoo absolved (after "upgrading" the barriers that were originally satisfactory but allowed a 3 year old through), boy unharmed and gorilla (having done nothing out of the ordinary) dead.

That is fact.

If a member of the public walked into a zoo with a rifle and shot dead a gorilla would that be OK?

Edited by Big Guy

They had to shoot the gorilla. It's a shame, but they had no choice.

They should not let kids into zoos anymore.

Then there's the suicidal idiot who got the lions shot. They obviously shouldn't let adults into zoos anymore, either.

Edited by bcsapper

What is the point of blaming the mother?

Or the zoo?

The facts are this: kid gets through barriers and is in a dangerous position with a dangerous animal.

Why not simply fix the barrier and move on? Already done.

What more is there to it?

Should parents go to jail every time their kid is separated or lost?

Or is this different than that time at the PNE when I got separated from my parents for several minutes but didn't get into any trouble so that's okay but this time is different due to the different consequences involving a dead gorilla?

Seems...irrational to me.

It just continually amazes me as to why so many people get all riled up over a gorilla being shot. The gorilla dragged the kid around by his arm dragging his head under the water. The kid could have drowned. The gorilla could have easily broken the kids arm. The gorilla had to go. Live with it. Sure this was a juicy story for the media but this should not have gone so long as it did. Sometimes I just on't know about humans. With so many other more important things going on in America and the world, but yet the media made this front page news for weeks. The media now needs to get back to more important stories like bashing Trump.

It just continually amazes me as to why so many people get all riled up over a gorilla being shot. The gorilla dragged the kid around by his arm dragging his head under the water. The kid could have drowned. The gorilla could have easily broken the kids arm. The gorilla had to go. Live with it. Sure this was a juicy story for the media but this should not have gone so long as it did. Sometimes I just on't know about humans. With so many other more important things going on in America and the world, but yet the media made this front page news for weeks. The media now needs to get back to more important stories like bashing Trump.

Yeah I don't care too much when EITHER people or animals die in accidents. Wouldn't have lost any sleep if the kid had got eaten either.

S^&t happens!

There's some exceptions but generally animals don't like captivity. They have a natural instinct to avoid it, so it triggers anxiety and a fight or flight fear response. From a raw instinct point of view they like it about as much as you would. Now I could put you in a cage and over time that natural disposition could be programmed away. We could maybe even breed it right out of you given a generation or two so that future offspring of the TimG species didnt have it.

An African sold into slavery on an American plantation in many ways had a better life than one that remained in Africa... But like I said that natural opposition to captivity is a bigger motivating factor for most animals.

Dre i'm sorry but this is a crock of shit. And surprised no one else called you out on it... ....Breed it out of you....WTF are you thinking..... I guess you missed that history class, on black history and slavery which seen plenty of generations of slaves not one of them had freedom breed out of them.....

I'd like to know how a slave from Africa had a better life than one that enjoyed in his own nation....just list a few ....for more comedy..... I guess having the status of nothing more than a belonging would have it's up side, being raped , beaten, tortured, children sold off, or given away, all your freedoms gone....but hey if your lucky master will feed you, beat you, and let you work in the fields every day of your life, and when your old and can't work he'll put you down like a dog.....YA sounds good to me.....

The gorilla was simply behaving according to its nature. If a kid fell into a shark tank would we be surprised if the shark attacked the kid? The problem is not with an animal behaving according to its nature but with insufficient barriers to keep people out. I don't care much about the gorilla but if the zoo replaces the shot gorilla with a new one, that doesn't really fix anything, because the new gorilla would be just as liable to attack a kid that wandered within reach. The fix is with altering the enclosure in which the gorilla is kept to enhance safety.

• 1 year later...

I remember this on the news.  It really bothered me because I am a bit of a 'primate' advocate and activist.  It was human error.... actually more like idiocy really.  It was a true shame that gorilla died.  I recognize the child might had been in potential danger, so, safer than sorry.  The entire situation could had been prevented though if the park officials secured that stupid short fence!  It was not high enough, not high enough at all!