Suicide Kits

The information of how to kill yourself is available on line. It is now accepted by most that the idea of killing oneself is worth discussion and is a basic human right:

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/plastic-bag-gas

Why not then allow for a "suicide kit" to be created by pharmacists and available by prescription?

I understand that there are a number of methods and that many can be botched up where we end up with a vegetable costing $millions to keep alive. It is also assumed that many car accidents appear to have been suicides and the victims (perps?) used that method so that relatives would receive life insurance money. Unfortunately, this method often takes other innocent victims and does much damage.

Is it ethical to have a "suicide kit" available to be purchased. One which will mask the cause of death so that beneficiaries can still collect?

Is it ethical to have a "suicide kit" available to be purchased. One which will mask the cause of death so that beneficiaries can still collect?

Yes, No

Yes, I believe that there are benefits to society at large to ensure that if someone does commit suicide they do it without ending up in a vegetative state and especially not endangering others as often is the case (Germanwings Flight 9525 as an extreme example).

I don't think that masking the cause of death to defraud insurance or other benefits however is acceptable.

Yes, No

Yes, I believe that there are benefits to society at large to ensure that if someone does commit suicide they do it without ending up in a vegetative state and especially not endangering others as often is the case (Germanwings Flight 9525 as an extreme example).

I don't think that masking the cause of death to defraud insurance or other benefits however is acceptable.

OK - How about masking the cause of death so that the survivors and relatives will not have to share the current stigma still attached to suicide?

The argument I see against that is the association of genetic factors and suicide. Blood relatives should be aware if a close relative takes their own life:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK107191/

http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/articles/high-suicide-families-eyed-by-genetic-scientists/

I'm not comfortable with over the counter cyanide at Shopper Drug Mart. If people want to off themselves, do some research. The state should only be sanctioning suicide of people that are going to die imminently anyway and are in a huge amount of pain.

The stigma exists for a reason. If anything we need to amplify it, not hide it.

No we don't.

Edit> Unless you mean so it makes assisted suicide more available.

Edited by bcsapper

I'm not comfortable with over the counter cyanide at Shopper Drug Mart. If people want to off themselves, do some research. The state should only be sanctioning suicide of people that are going to die imminently anyway and are in a huge amount of pain.

Why can't someone die when they choose? Who are you to tell them when they can and cannot die?

Why can't someone die when they choose? Who are you to tell them when they can and cannot die?

I'm not. There are several ways you can do it yourself. But the government shouldn't be making it as easy as possible.

Over the counter methods of suicide without any psych evaluation? Why not just give them out at schools?

I'm not. There are several ways you can do it yourself. But the government shouldn't be making it as easy as possible.

Over the counter methods of suicide without any psych evaluation? Why not just give them out at schools?

The government should be providing the service under the healthcare system so that a person doesn't need to buy a kit. If they don't, and kits can be made available, then all well and good. There's lots of things that aren't available in schools.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with dying, we all do it, and the best time to die is when one chooses to die. Much better than dying when one doesn't want to.

Edited by bcsapper

The government should be providing the service under the healthcare system so that a person doesn't need to buy a kit. If they don't, and kits can be made available, then all well and good. There's lots of things that aren't available in schools.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with dying, we all do it, and the best time to die is when one chooses to die. Much better than dying when one doesn't want to.

And what about those individuals that are troubled, or have mental issues, that think the only way out of their dark world is to end it all, and yet most of these people can receive medical help and live a normal life again....Do we give them the option....

And what about teenagers that have no perspective and think any trouble they experience means they should end their lives.

It'll be interesting to know what percentage of suicides are due to actual clinical depression (that can be treated mind you) and people who are just sad and have no perspective that their problems are temporary.

I'm not comfortable with over the counter cyanide at Shopper Drug Mart.

Make sure you take enough cyanide, a sublethal dose will most likely cause brain damage. Someone who tries to mix up their own batch may end up as a vegetable. Not my recommended method.

Make sure you take enough cyanide, a sublethal dose will most likely cause brain damage. Someone who tries to mix up their own batch may end up as a vegetable. Not my recommended method.

Well then our spiffy new assisted suicide law will come in handy then.

Well then our spiffy new assisted suicide law will come in handy then.

Actually it probably won't.

241.‍2 (1) A person may receive medical assistance in dying only if they meet all of the following criteria:

(d) they have made a voluntary request for medical assistance in dying that, in particular, was not made as a result of external pressure; and
(e) they give informed consent to receive medical assistance in dying.

(3) (b-) ensure that the person’s request for medical assist­ance in dying was

(ii) signed and dated after the person was informed by a medical practitioner or nurse practitioner that the person has a grievous and irremediable medical condition;
Edited by ?Impact

Maybe instead of making suicide universal acceptable, maybe we should learn to treat the effects that drive people to suicide first..

Do that as well. Just don't prevent someone who wants to die from doing so, and don't prevent someone who wants to help them from doing so either.

• 3 weeks later...

Replying to Post #14 as I am unable to quote.

I was asked by several medical doctors keen on suicide issues help them understand capital intelligence. It is just a differing perspective to look at this suicide phenomenon.