As I get older experience tells me something more...

msj

I like this image and the explanation for it: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/yYrqt

Like most people, I remember seeing it on the Facebook and the Twitter and thinking little of it.

I expected the curmodgeons to complain about kids staring at their smartphones while great civilization loomed over them and passed them by. Curmudgeons gotta curmudgeon I guess.

Of course, we do not really know if the kids just spent 10 minutes looking at the "The Night Watch" and we're taking a break or doing an assignment on the museum app.

The point is is that that picture was taken at a single point in time and we know little of what came before and after unless told by a credible source.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is because I notice this type of thing on a daily basis: pictures that get people riled up which, upon more information, more context, more experience, more knowledge, more thought, become nothing special.

Whether it's a billboard for an X-men movie or kids using a museum app to do an assignment at the museum, or it's the click bait that draws people to good looking weather girls or Hulk Hogan's sex tape, or it's a politicians words, or lack of words, people sure get their knickers in a knot for nothing.

I'm finding that as I get older these types of experiences happen less and less.

The shock of the intial outcry no longer computes and, if anything, makes me look at those as inexperienced click baiters clicking on the bait as, well, inexperienced idiots like I used to be.

Getting older is a good thing; and new media/social media is also a good thing as we gain the experience to not take first impressions seriously and realize anything we see, no matter how "credible" the source, has a story much larger than what is first presented.

Most of the time the story makes the image banal and too much like real life which is no surprise as that is what real life is like, in real life.....

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss and all that.

Edited by msj

sometimes the 'more' doesn't matter as the perception is the reality... having the more (information, context, experience, knowledge, thought) doesn't alter that reality. In the case of the referenced, 'too quick to judge', picture, it is “a perfect metaphor", if not for that exact instance, then most certainly for the tether that smartphones have today on "the yutes". We see it everyday - phones in hand, constantly checking the phone, walking blindly through crowds with heads down focused on the screen... unable to hold a real conversation outside of the phone/texting.