Christian slays pet, where is your religious freedom now, dog lovers?

msj

Are we really trying to make a link between a religious person who killed a dog and Islamic terrorism?

No, we are looking at how some people excuse religiously motivated behaviour in one way while not excusing other religiously motivated behaviour in other ways.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we are looking at how some people excuse religiously motivated behaviour in one way while not excusing other religiously motivated behaviour in other ways.

Fair enough. What's the REAL reason for Islamic terrorism since it's not religion?

Religion and politics mix in Islam. No separation of church & state there.

Yes, this is true and is it not perhaps the mixing of those two things that's the problem and not necessarily the religion itself? Some Muslims are engaged in political violence shrouded in religious language, imo (and the opinion of intelligence agencies around the world). Lords Resistance Army is engaged in political violence, but they use religious language to justify their brutality. These groups thrive where there's political vacuums.

It does seem that way.

Not really. I think everyone has their threshold beyond which they will comment. If he'd hacked a few bloggers to death, maybe there would have been more of a reaction.

Not really. I think everyone has their threshold beyond which they will comment. If he'd hacked a few bloggers to death, maybe there would have been more of a reaction.

Ok, so we are clear: hack up a few atheists in Bangladesh and it is Islamist violence inspired by the Koran and/or culture/upbringing, Imam etc

Burn a "satanic" t-shirt and sacrifice the dog and this has nothing to do with religion - the guy is just crazy?

He did not get his ideas of Satanism from the Bible that he professes to believe in?

Same goes with the sacrifice part?

Ok, so we are clear: hack up a few atheists in Bangladesh and it is Islamist violence inspired by the Koran and/or culture/upbringing, Imam etc

Burn a "satanic" t-shirt and sacrifice the dog and this has nothing to do with religion - the guy is just crazy?

He did not get his ideas of Satanism from the Bible that he professes to believe in?

No, not clear. That's not what I said at all. If he'd hacked a few atheists to death because they had offended Jesus I would have probably commented on it. (I haven't commented on the Bangladeshi hackers, (until now) so who knows what my threshold is) I certainly would not comment on a case of cruelty to animals by a Muslim.

Unless it was in the greater context of Halal slaughter in conflict with the laws of the land, as might be happening in the UK at the moment. I'm not sure.

Fair enough. What's the REAL reason for Islamic terrorism since it's not religion?

The socio-economic dysfunction of failed/failing states brought on by decades of capitalist and communist imperialists fighting over the place. It is what it is.

Edited by eyeball

Yes. If you don't agree, take a look at how Saudi Arabia deals with such "blasphemers". Hard to call it an isolated incident when it's the law of the land, and hard to deny the religious element when the law was written by the Prophet's disciples... or the Wahhabist interpretation thereof, at least.

He might have been inspired by his religious beliefs, but there's certainly no Christian doctrines advocating animal sacrifice. Again, if this is something endemic to Christian theology, why do we only have this one example of it?

I really don't disagree with what you're saying here in regard to the "no true Scotsman" thing. I just think you picked a poor example to make your case.

-k

Of course I think Islamist violence is inspired by Islam.

As I also think this violent incident has been inspired by the Bible.

Religious people are kooky so it's only natural that so many of them are religious.

The rest of us, however, should call a spade a spade and stop allowing these institutions to "educate" children (or at least end the tax subsidies) and get religion out of public policy.

The socio-economic dysfunction of failed/failing states brought on by decades of capitalist and communist imperialists fighting over the place. It is what it is.

It has been going on since the 7th century, so blame the USA if you so desire. But that isn't the correct answer.

Of course I think Islamist violence is inspired by Islam.

As I also think this violent incident has been inspired by the Bible.

Religious people are kooky so it's only natural that so many of them are religious.

The rest of us, however, should call a spade a spade and stop allowing these institutions to "educate" children (or at least end the tax subsidies) and get religion out of public policy.

There's an airliner missing this morning. Any bets as to what happened to it?

There's an airliner missing this morning. Any bets as to what happened to it?

I'm looking it up in the Koran right now but I don't see where it specifically states anything about bombing an airplane so mustn't be Islam related! ( this is sarcasm, of course it is related to terrorism - well, unless it was an accident which I suppose is possible).

I'm looking it up in the Koran right now but I don't see where it specifically states anything about bombing an airplane so mustn't be Islam related! ( this is sarcasm, of course it is related to terrorism - well, unless it was an accident which I suppose is possible).

Yes....it must have been an accident. ;)

Folks,

This thread is permanently locked because the OP has demonstrated the intention is to troll.

If any of you wish to continue to discuss this "topic" please feel free to open a new thread called Christian slays pet, where is your religious freedom now, dog lovers? --- Take 2 if you will.