America under President Trump

Would a President Trump be in Putin's back pocket? Check out these seven points from Robert Reich and see if you notice a pattern:

1. Trump's debt load has grown dramatically over the last year, from $350 million to $630 million. At the same time, he’s been blackballed by all major US banks.

2. Post-bankruptcy, Trump has become highly reliant on money from Russia -- most of which has over the years become increasingly concentrated among oligarchs close to Vladimir Putin.

3. Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager and top advisor, spent most of the last decade as top campaign and communications advisor to Viktor Yanukovych, the pro-Russian Ukrainian Prime Minister and then President whose ouster in 2014 led to the on-going crisis and proxy war in Ukraine. Yanukovych was and remains a close ally of Putin.

4. Trump's foreign policy advisor on Russia and Europe is Carter Page, a man whose entire professional career has revolved around investments in Russia and who has deep and continuing financial and employment ties to Gazprom, which, in turn, is part of Putin’s financial empire.

5. Over the course of the last year, Putin has aligned all Russian state controlled media behind Trump.

6. The Trump Camp was totally indifferent to the Republican Party platform, with one exception: They changed the party platform to eliminate assistance to Ukraine against Russian military operations in eastern Ukraine. Not incidentally, this is the single most important issue to Putin.

7. Trump is also suggesting the US and thus NATO might not come to the defense of NATO member states in the Baltics in the case of a Russian invasion -- another important issue to Putin.

Imagine that. Bill Clinton's former Secretary of Labour condemns Trump. Who woulda thought?

At what point does Trump have to release his tax records? There is speculation that they will confirm ties to Russian Oligarchs.

He does not have to release them at all. It has become conventional for candidates to do that but Trump has stood convention on its ear. And his supporters don't care.

The IRS has stated that an audit doesn't prevent Trump from releasing his tax records, that's just a cop out.

Well, he said he's going to release it after the audit!

Whatever the IRS says, or your opinion about it...... is irrelevant! :D

Edited by betsy

The media tells us that Trumps taxes are important, but no pressure on Hillary to release transcripts of speeches to Wall street. Arn't Hillary's speeches to Wall street of any interest? Really, no one is even the slightest bit curious as to what she told them and no one is curious as to why she is hiding them? Really?

The media tells us that Trumps taxes are important, but no pressure on Hillary to release transcripts of speeches to Wall street. Arn't Hillary's speeches to Wall street of any interest? Really, no one is even the slightest bit curious as to what she told them and no one is curious as to why she is hiding them? Really?

Why would that matter? I'm guessing she didn't get paid to condemn them, which is why all the Trumpites want to see her saying good things to them so they can run it in commercials.

Wall Street is not the problem. Money in the political system is the problem. There are two things which block anything being done about that. The first is the Republican party, which has consistently opposed any and all efforts by the Democrats to control election spending. The second is the supreme court decision which said anyone or any organization can spend as much as it wants on political advertising. The answer to both these problems is to vote for the Democrats, who will appoint more liberal judges.

Edited by Argus

Why would that matter? I'm guessing she didn't get paid to condemn them, which is why all the Trumpites want to see her saying good things to them so they can run it in commercials.

Wall Street is not the problem. Money in the political system is the problem.

And that is done by lobbyists making money on Wall Street in order to pay off their politicians. Wall Street is definitely part of the problem.

Yep, either he didn't pay any taxes or he's not making the money he pretends to be making. The audit excuse is a bit weak given all the secrecy around it.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/donald-trump-roast-off-limits-joke.html

When Donald Trump was roasted at a Comedy Central event in 2011, he seemed all too happy to be mocked for about his failed marriages, his hair and his family.

But before the show went to air Trump told the producers there was one topic that was totally off-limits that he was not as wealthy as he claims to be.

Gee, I guess he's really sensitive about ... money.

Aww ... poor baby.?

And that is done by lobbyists making money on Wall Street in order to pay off their politicians. Wall Street is definitely part of the problem.

Wall Street, by which you mean the banks, is not the problem. The Koch brothers don't live or work on Wall Street, okay? The NRA offices aren't on Wall Street. The Super PACS aren't on Wall Street.

When Reagan ran for President many said the same thing about him and look what kind of President he became and he would have been greater if Bush sr. hadn't been his VP. No one knows what kind of President Trump would be, I don't think he really knows but we have seen what goes on in the White House when the Clinton's were there.

Wall Street, by which you mean the banks, is not the problem. The Koch brothers don't live or work on Wall Street, okay? The NRA offices aren't on Wall Street. The Super PACS aren't on Wall Street.

No, the banks are PART of the problem. The government killed the Glass-Stegal Act which allowed the banks and mortgage lending companies to lend out more than they should while selling toxic mortgages into those stupid derivatives package.

It is government AND Wall Street that caused the 2008 crisis. Or have we forgotten about that already??? Damn no wonder the politicians get away with stealing and murder. No one can remember anything before 'Yes we can!' which then turned into 'OH SH... WE CAN'T!'.

Clinton rubs the Bull on Wall Street which the Bull then rubs all over Hillary. Quite disgusting actually.

Edited by GostHacked

Clinton rubs the Bull on Wall Street which the Bull then rubs all over Hillary. Quite disgusting actually.

Yeah yeah, "Hilary is owned by the banks", and "Trump is gonna go after the hedge fund guys."

Except it turns out that Trump's whole economic advisory team is investment bankers and hedge fund guys. Trump says he's here to save the middle class, but he's proposing all the same stuff that Mitt Romney wanted last time, the stuff that Wall Street types and the wealthy have been clamoring for. Repeal Dodd Frank! Financial deregulation! Tax cuts for the wealthy! Lower capital gains taxes! Get rid of the estate tax!

Wall Street doesn't own Trump, so I guess it's just a coincidence that Trump's economic platform is the same stuff that investment bankers and hedge fund guys and the super-rich have been clamoring for for decades.

Are you a big enough sucker to buy what Trump is selling?

-k

Wall Street isn't just banks, its a euphemism for the financial sector in general. Commercial banks, brokers, investment firms, funds, thrifts, trusts. financial insurance companies, shadow banks (investment banks).

Wall Street has a scam going where they pay people to go and work in Government.

Antonio Weiss, the former investment banker at Lazard now serving as counselor to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, acknowledged infinancial disclosures that he would be paid $21 million in unvested income and deferred compensation upon exiting the company for a job in government. Weiss withdrew from consideration to become the undersecretary for domestic finance under pressure from financial reformers, but the counselor position—which does not require congressional confirmation—probably still entitles him to the $21 million.

Here's a list of 22 more. Wall Street packs the government full of friendly faces, not to mention making massive contributions to presidential campaigns.

But the reality is even more stark... The fact is that Wall Street and the governments financial apparatus are not even really two separate entities anymore. That's why almost all the people that caused the great recession got off literally scott free.

Edited by dre

• 3 months later...

So, as predicted by some of us...... it's indeed America under Trump.  Review the article in the OP.

“As president, I’ll be working from the first day with my vice president and staff to make clear that America will be changing in major ways for the better,” Mr. Trump said in a telephone interview on Saturday. “We can’t afford to waste time. I want a vice president who will help me have a major impact quickly on Capitol Hill, and the message will be clear to the nation and to people abroad that the American government will be using its power differently.”

He got Pence to take over from Christie to handle the transition,

Vice President-elect Mike Pence will replace New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as chairman of President-elect Donald Trump’s presidential transition effort, a change that will cement the Indiana governor’s influence over the incoming administration’s policy and personnel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/11/11/pence-to-lead-trump-transition-effort/

I like that. 

Some questions on his controversial issues:

Who's the judge who'll get appointed to fill the vacant slot?

Will he get a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton?

Will he build The Wall?

Will he crack down on illegal immigrants? 

Will there be a temporary shut down on Muslims from entering the USA?

and we've seen the controversy over bias and alleged corruption.  Who'll get axed?

What do you think?

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Who's the judge who'll get appointed to fill the vacant slot?

Will he get a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton?

Will he build The Wall?

Will he crack down on illegal immigrants? 

Will there be a temporary shut down on Muslims from entering the USA?

and we've seen the controversy over bias and alleged corruption.  Who'll get axed?

Judge-- I don't know who he is, but it'll be somebody who passes the Republican senate's strict 4-point litmus test (loves guns, hates abortions, loves Bibles, hates homos). Or, in Republican parlance, "a pro-life conservative who interprets the Constitution as the Founding Fathers intended."   In the Donald vs Hillary thread, BC2004 and Derek2.0 have been steadfastly arguing that abortion rights will continue regardless of the Republican campaign promises on the subject. I'm not 100% convinced.

Special Prosecutor-- Mayor Rudy and Chris Christie have already dropped strong hints that it's not going to happen. Trump will decide that in the name of "healing the divide in this country", he's not going to do it.

Build the wall-- yes.

Crack down on illegal immigrants-- only superficially.  If illegal immigrants were kicked out of the US with the speed and thoroughness that Trump supporters are hoping, it would cause a crisis for agriculture in blue states and red states alike.

Temporary ban on Muslims entering the US:  no. Trump has already watered down his rhetoric here. There might be some talk about halting people from "hot-spots" coming to the US.

Bias and corruption--  I think Trump supporters going to be bitterly disappointed here. Trump already has scandal-plagued swamp-dwellers like Chris Christie on his team, and bribe-recipient Pam Bondi. As well, half of his transition team is members of his own family who are still running Trump businesses... the potential for graft here is absolutely YUGE, and we know from his history that he's not good at saying no to temptation. Whether it be using his "charity" to buy goodies for himself, or using the campaign to buy services from Trump businesses, or "moving on that like a bitch" when it comes to attractive women, he just can't resist. My personal hunch is that we'll be talking about President Pence within a few years, but maybe I'm just too cynical.  However, don't be surprised if the inauguration bash is catered with unsold Trump Steaks and Trump Vodka. (check the best before dates!)

-k

5 hours ago, kimmy said:

Judge-- I don't know who he is, but it'll be somebody who passes the Republican senate's strict 4-point litmus test (loves guns, hates abortions, loves Bibles, hates homos). Or, in Republican parlance, "a pro-life conservative who interprets the Constitution as the Founding Fathers intended."   In the Donald vs Hillary thread, BC2004 and Derek2.0 have been steadfastly arguing that abortion rights will continue regardless of the Republican campaign promises on the subject. I'm not 100% convinced.

Special Prosecutor-- Mayor Rudy and Chris Christie have already dropped strong hints that it's not going to happen. Trump will decide that in the name of "healing the divide in this country", he's not going to do it.

Build the wall-- yes.

Crack down on illegal immigrants-- only superficially.  If illegal immigrants were kicked out of the US with the speed and thoroughness that Trump supporters are hoping, it would cause a crisis for agriculture in blue states and red states alike.

Temporary ban on Muslims entering the US:  no. Trump has already watered down his rhetoric here. There might be some talk about halting people from "hot-spots" coming to the US.

Bias and corruption--  I think Trump supporters going to be bitterly disappointed here. Trump already has scandal-plagued swamp-dwellers like Chris Christie on his team, and bribe-recipient Pam Bondi. As well, half of his transition team is members of his own family who are still running Trump businesses... the potential for graft here is absolutely YUGE, and we know from his history that he's not good at saying no to temptation. Whether it be using his "charity" to buy goodies for himself, or using the campaign to buy services from Trump businesses, or "moving on that like a bitch" when it comes to attractive women, he just can't resist. My personal hunch is that we'll be talking about President Pence within a few years, but maybe I'm just too cynical.  However, don't be surprised if the inauguration bash is catered with unsold Trump Steaks and Trump Vodka. (check the best before dates!)

-k

I just read that there'll be about 2 -3 million illegal immigrants that will be deported or incarcerated.  These are the criminals.

As for Christie, I never really liked the guy.  I remember him fawning over Obama.  Anyway, he got replaced by Pence as head of the team.  Apparently, Christie already stacked the team with his own people.

Trump's family were his advisers during the campaign.  Maybe they'll just be there for the transition.  We'll wait and see.

As for corruption - you don't really expect him to do the impossible, do you?  You can't totally eliminate corruption.   It's the amount of corruption, that's what's worrisome about Hillary.  They've been in power for more than 30 years - they've made lots of connection and cronies, and they'd sown their seeds all over the system.  A good draining of the swamp is needed every now and then.  It's about time!  In fact, it's well over due.

As for Hillary, there's rumours that she isn't off the hook.  It's being theorized that the FBI didn't charge her for the sole reason that they don't want to give Obama the chance to pardon her.  Obama cannot pardon Hillary if she isn't convicted of any crime.  It's said that they're waiting for Obama to make his exit.

Edited by betsy

On 7/30/2016 at 10:33 AM, BC_chick said:

Yep, either he didn't pay any taxes or he's not making the money he pretends to be making. The audit excuse is a bit weak given all the secrecy around it.

Or they show that he has financial ties to any number of unsavory places/people/organizations around the world.  Or they show any number of other things.  At any rate, the fact that his supporters have been willing to give him a pass on this just go to show how little they care for truth.