America under President Trump

The only image that matters right now is winning the GOP nomination....

Is there any circumstances under which the party elite could yank it away from him at this point? It seems like a done deal.

-k

Is there any circumstances under which the party elite could yank it away from him at this point? It seems like a done deal.

-k

Pundit on NPR reckoned that might be why Paul Ryan was being so cagey. Meltdown at the convention might see a vacuum and he wants to be in a position to fill it.

Of course, the others were less than taken with that view.

That's fine for isolationist Trump.....he doesn't care about the "oh...please love us" Canadian value.

No, Trump doesn't care about economics and government and trade and foreign intelligence or any other complicated stuff like that. Trump mostly cares about insulting people and his latest mistress.

Trump knows what he's doing. He knows the difference between how to speak at a rally versus speaking at a debate or one-on-one interview. The common people have always complained about politicians speaking down to them, Trump speaks on their level - for now.

I guess I'm at a level way above the common people, then.

Though that doesn't really surprise me.

I couldn't say. All I can say is the image he presents to the world is that of a cloddish buffoon who still has temper tantrums and spews insults most children learn to avoid by the time they're nine. Elizabeth Warren is a 'goofus'? Seriously! That's the best his vocabulary can come up with? When you think of the smooth, erudite insults some of the great politicians of history have issued towards each other, then consider Trump it's simply embarrassing.

The sad part is that he's not dumbing it down for his audience, it's who he truly is. I've been following him for years on Twitter, I remember the Rosie O'Donnel fued and he was just as childish and juvenile then.

He's the equivalent of a human Yo Mama joke.

No, Trump doesn't care about economics and government and trade and foreign intelligence or any other complicated stuff like that. Trump mostly cares about insulting people and his latest mistress.

A formula that seems to be working for him with lots of voters. Trudeau went farther with even less expertise.

A formula that seems to be working for him with lots of voters. Trudeau went farther with even less expertise.

That says nothing good about the intelligence of American voters.

Trudeau went farther with even less expertise.

Maybe, but I bet Trudeau wouldn't go to Buckingham palace, tell fart jokes to the Queen and pick his nose in front of her. I have no such confidence about Trump.

That says nothing good about the intelligence of American voters.

Meh....most don't care what others think about American "intelligence"...and many do not bother to vote anyway. Most Americans don't give a damn who you vote for in Canada....it is boring and irrelevant compared to Trump, who attracts far more attention, even in Canada.

Maybe, but I bet Trudeau wouldn't go to Buckingham palace, tell fart jokes to the Queen and pick his nose in front of her. I have no such confidence about Trump.

Trump has more money than Trudeau, so he can fart wherever he wants. Does Trudeau's name ride high on the Toronto skyline ?

The sad part is that he's not dumbing it down for his audience, it's who he truly is. I've been following him for years on Twitter, I remember the Rosie O'Donnel fued and he was just as childish and juvenile then.

Well....Rosie O"Donnell is a caricature of an obnoxiously, bitter, acid-tongued woman. She was the one who first

attacked Trump.

It started in 2006:

When Trump decided not to fire Miss USA Tara Conner after revelations of drug use, underage drinking and sexual activities, the co-owner of the Miss USA pageant raised some eyebrows.
"I've always been a believer in second chances. Tara is a good person. Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance," Trump said on December 19. Conner was allowed to keep her crown but had to go to rehab.
The next day O'Donnell, who was a co-host of "The View" at the time, criticized his decision, saying that she doesn't "enjoy" Trump and said he went bankrupt -- a claim Trump continues to deny, most recently at Thursday's GOP debate.
She added that Trump is "not a self-made man" but a "snake-oil salesman on Little House On The Prairie," and she proceeded to slam his multiple marriages: "[He] left the first wife -- had an affair. [He] had kids both times, but he's the moral compass for 20-year-olds in America. Donald, sit and spin, my friend."
Following those comments, Trump fired back at the comedian and told People Magazine that O'Donnell is "a real loser" and "a woman out of control."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/politics/donald-trump-rosie-odonnell-feud/

Those were quite nasty things to say about Trump just because she didn't agree with his decision. Check out Trump's reason why Miss America wasn't fired. I think his reasons say something about Trump.

Despite that, Donald showed a good gesture towards Rosie when she had a heart attack.

When O'Donnell suffered a heart attack, she got well wishes from none other than The Donald himself.
"Rosie, get better fast. I'm starting to miss you!" he tweeted.
O'Donnell acknowledged that his well wishes took her by surprise and tweeted, "well thank u donald - i must admit ur post was a bit of a shock ... r u trying to kill me ?"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/politics/donald-trump-rosie-odonnell-feud/

Edited by betsy

A formula that seems to be working for him with lots of voters.

Let's be realistic, Trump doesn't have the support of the entire Republican party, how could he come close to winning the general? ~6 months before the general, and he's behind were Romney sat by a uuuuuuge amount, he might appeal to some blue dog democrats, but not enough to replace the Republicans that won't vote Trump........with the polling averages today, its shaping up to be a worse blow-out then Goldwater/LBJ.

.........6 months out, and my money is on the swayback nag.......which with nearly anyone other than Trump, shouldn't be electable.

You've got to admit though, that's the perfect person to be president of the US.

....Let's be realistic, Trump doesn't have the support of the entire Republican party, how could he come close to winning the general? ~6 months before the general, and he's behind were Romney sat by a uuuuuuge amount, he might appeal to some blue dog democrats, but not enough to replace the Republicans that won't vote Trump........with the polling averages today, its shaping up to be a worse blow-out then Goldwater/LBJ.

Let the process run its course....in 1992, a third party candidate (Ross Perot) emerged to take away 18% of the vote...many Republican...Bush 41 lost. If Trump is nominated by the GOP and he loses to Clinton, then the Republicans will have had another weak election/candidate (like Dole/McCain/Romney). Trump will just have to go back to being a balding billionaire on TV. Trump has destroyed the "best" that the Republicans had to offer, while spending far less money.

What's funny about all this is that Nixon and Bush 43 both won two terms !

Well....Rosie O"Donnell is a caricature of an obnoxiously, bitter, acid-tongued woman. She was the one who first

attacked Trump.

And nobody would want Rosie O'donnell as president either.

And then bitch about what lousy government you get....

Some do....I don't worry about it...especially what kind of "lousy" government is elected in a foreign country that I can't even vote in. Trump will do just fine and maybe spice things up in Washington D.C. He put the fun back into politics.

Let the process run its course....in 1992, a third party candidate (Ross Perot) emerged to take away 18% of the vote...

I haven't heard squat about a left leaning third party run by anyone to damage Clinton......

The latest news is that Ryan and Trump are to sit down and see if they can resolve their differences.

In an interview, both Ryan and Rubio said that they have pledged to support the Republican choice of President - that is the disarming part. For these folks the Party is more important than the country. They are saying that whoever ends up candidate will get their support - even if it is to the determent of the USA. That is just plain nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest news is that Ryan and Trump are to sit down and see if they can resolve their differences.

In an interview, both Ryan and Rubio said that they have pledged to support the Republican choice of President - that is the disarming part. For these folks the Party is more important than the country. They are saying that whoever ends up candidate will get their support - even if it is to the determent of the USA. That is just plain nuts!

Ryan better decide soon. He already admitted that Trump has brought in more people than anyone in the history of the Republican Party.

I don't think it's healthy for his career (if he has any presidential aspiration) to be seen as the one who went against a Republican nominee, and in the process helped paved the way for Clinton.

Edited by betsy

Ryan better decide soon. He already admitted that Trump has brought in more people than anyone in the history of the Republican Party.

I don't think it's healthy for his career (if he has any presidential aspiration) to be seen as the one who went against a Republican nominee, and in the process helped paved the way for Clinton.

You may be correct.

But I have no use for any politician who promises BEFORE the candidates are chosen that he will vote for whoever his party picks.

That declares that his support for his political party supersedes his support for his country.

That is NUTS!!!

The latest news also was that Trump was suppose to have a meeting with Henry Kissinger. Oh-oh, that scares me. I wonder what Trump had to back off from? If only I could have been a fly on the wall in that room. What ever went on in that room, I guess that we will never know. It's a secret. Shhhh.

Would not surprise me:

/donald_trump_truthers_theories_spread_hes_trying_to_sabotage_campaign_after_his_disastrous_week_from_hell/

In the months ahead, I suspect Trumps real intent will become increasingly obvious. There is no reason to think he wants to be president. Its an unspeakably complicated job and Trumps defiant ignorance suggests he has no desire to learn what is required. This was always about Trump his brand, his image, his profile. It should surprise no one if he finds a way to undermine his own campaign. At this point, the best possible outcome for him is to lose without appearing to quit. Then, as Jacobus pointed out, he can expand his celebrity, broaden his influence, and avoid the trouble of actually serving in public office.

I just can't see Trump wanting to do the heavy lifting of being president.

If the DNC keeps pissing off Sanders, he could decide to run as an independent.

Funny how things had changed. When Trump was duking it out with Cruz, Rubio and Kasich....Hillary gloated and mocked the division among the Republicans. Now, though she tries to downplay it, the Democrats are in the same boat.

Edited by betsy

Would not surprise me:

/donald_trump_truthers_theories_spread_hes_trying_to_sabotage_campaign_after_his_disastrous_week_from_hell/

In the months ahead, I suspect Trumps real intent will become increasingly obvious. There is no reason to think he wants to be president. Its an unspeakably complicated job and Trumps defiant ignorance suggests he has no desire to learn what is required. This was always about Trump his brand, his image, his profile. It should surprise no one if he finds a way to undermine his own campaign. At this point, the best possible outcome for him is to lose without appearing to quit. Then, as Jacobus pointed out, he can expand his celebrity, broaden his influence, and avoid the trouble of actually serving in public office.

I just can't see Trump wanting to do the heavy lifting of being president.

Why would Trump spend money and waste his time if he doesn't want the job? From what the niece of Romney had said yesterday at Flash Point (she voted for Trump), Trump is getting good advisers to help him out.

Edited by betsy