America under President Trump

2 hours ago, betsy said:

America under Trump means..........going to war with the goal TO WIN!

TO WIN!

War isn't a game, folks.  So don't give us that liberal bull about being fair.   Your method of fighting  war, is what's really costing so many lives - military, and civilians!

But what about the years of tweets saying they should just withdraw from Afghanistan? Are you saying he didn't know what he was talking about then but you supported him anyway?

But what "method" are you referring to? Are you once again completely unsure of the direction they should go or what's going on but will support your team no matter what without knowing the details?

13 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

Are you once again completely unsure of the direction they should go or what's going on but will support your team no matter what without knowing the details?

I think it's #2.  The rest of us can assess the strategy independently.  Note that the "nation building" idea came from GW Bush in trying to build a democracy in Iraq.  Who knows, maybe Trump will come around to that idea at some point too.

17 minutes ago, LonJowett said:

But what about the years of tweets saying they should just withdraw from Afghanistan? Are you saying he didn't know what he was talking about then but you supported him anyway?

But what "method" are you referring to? Are you once again completely unsure of the direction they should go or what's going on but will support your team no matter what without knowing the details?

I would say the same to you.....Obama was ignorant, and didn't know what he was doing when he withdrew....yet you seem to have supported him anyway! :rolleyes:

We know that Trump is a rookie as a politician!  Obviously, he was advised by experienced people who knew what was going on!  Look what he accomplished with that summit in Saudi Arabia!  Never did Obama made such an accomplishment as that in the ME.   

Take a long look back and see where Obama's method has brought the USA! 

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I doubt you'll find many liberal criticisms of Trump's latest flip-flop.  This time, at least, he seems to have landed in reality.

Yeah.  I like that part about "no micro-management from DC," and "not announcing - or warning _ the enemies where and how the USA will strike next.   I like the practicality of decisions not based on timelines, but based on actual reality on the ground!

Really, Obama has tied the hands and feet of soldiers he sends to war!  Let's face it.  Either we question where Obama's true allegiance really lies.....or we accept that he's a do-do.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

Yeah.  I like that part about "micro-management from DC," and "not announcing - or warning _ the enemies where and how the USA will strike next. 

Well, his example was Mosul and it wasn't like that was a big surprise.  It was a pending seige.

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

Really, Obama has tied the hands and feet of soldiers he sends to war!  Let's face it.  Either we question where Obama's true allegiance really lies.....or we accept that he's a do-do.

The Americans wanted a pull-out but he couldn't do it.  Trump's approach seems like a new one from my viewpoint.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 8:27 AM, betsy said:

Three centuries under Spain..... vs...... half-a century under the USA (and Philippines gained its independence).   

No....I wouldn't call that "just another colonial lord after another."

I would. The time doesn't mean much. European countries also had colonies in Africa and Asia for short periods. WW2 spelled the beginning of the end for all colonial regimes in Asia. The US was no different.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, betsy said:

Look what he accomplished with that summit in Saudi Arabia!  Never did Obama made such an accomplishment as that in the ME.   

You're kidding right?  What Trump  "accomplished" in SA is too further destabilize the area by arming  yuuugely one of the worst human rights offenders in  the me. Obama had the brains not to  be so foolish.

2 hours ago, betsy said:

I would say the same to you.....Obama was ignorant, and didn't know what he was doing when he withdrew....yet you seem to have supported him anyway! :rolleyes:

We know that Trump is a rookie as a politician!  Obviously, he was advised by experienced people who knew what was going on!  Look what he accomplished with that summit in Saudi Arabia!  Never did Obama made such an accomplishment as that in the ME.   

Take a long look back and see where Obama's method has brought the USA! 

Why do you say I seem to have supported him anyway: smiley face? Is it just because you hope I did because then you would have an argument? I didn't. Sorry. Maybe try the bigger emojis now.

But it's big of you to admit that Trump doesn't know what he's doing. Too bad his supporters didn't realize that a year or so ago.

It will be interesting to see which Donald Trump we see revealed with his upcoming visit to Phoenix. I somehow doubt he will continue with the demeanor he demonstrated yesterday with his highly scripted, totally teleprompter speech he delivered yesterday. And of course will he pardon convicted criminal Sheriff Arpaio? 

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, his example was Mosul and it wasn't like that was a big surprise.  It was a pending seige.

The Americans wanted a pull-out but he couldn't do it.  Trump's approach seems like a new one from my viewpoint.

Hahaha, media keep saying Trump failed to say how many troops to send to Adfghanistan, like as if they didn't hear him say that he wouldn't diviulge strategies and vital info to the enemy!    What moron will give the enemy a heads up?  They got used to Obama! These liberals ought to get on the right page on how to engage in  warfare! 

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

1. Hahaha, media keep saying Trump failed to say how many troops to send to Adfghanistan, like as if they didn't hear him say that he wouldn't diviulge strategies and vital info to the enemy!   

2. What moron will give the enemy a heads up?  They got used to Obama! These liberals ought to get on the right page on how to engage in  warfare! 

1. The media, from what I have seen, seems to be relieved that something resembling a plan has come out of the white house.  Most of the world doesn't participate in the binary cheerleading that you have engaged in on this thread.  The Taliban aren't going to change their tactics much unless the numbers are way off from the ones already leaked from the WH.  

2. These things aren't likely decided by the president himself.  There are things that Obama did better than Trump and things Trump does better too.  This binary thinking of yours is so tiresome to try to engage with, frankly.  It's like a superhero comic book from the 50s.  I have come on here to try to point out that this is an opportunity for a turning point for Trump, and that his flip--flop may represent a new approach.  But you are just continuing to spout this superhero nonsense.  Carry on with your hero worship on here, then.  I'll be watching and analyzing, and discussing with others on here who have more insights to offer.

• Like 1

Trump continues to insult Republican senators such as Mitch McConnell etc. Does he not understand that he needs them if he is going to get any of his EO's passed? I anticipate Arizona is gonna be a hoot similar to the one he gave at Trump Tower recently. Unless of course he uses teleprompters to keep him sane.

No matter what Trump does in Afghanistan, he is providing more leadership on that "file" than are Trudeau, Macron, Merkel, May, or any other NATO partner.

President Trump has long been ridiculed for his election rhetoric and presidential withdrawal from the West's presumed American burden / mantle of post WW2 protector.

Democrats have already flipped on Afghanistan as another way to attack Trump, despite their own president's and failed candidate's record on that "file".

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Democrats have already flipped on Afghanistan as another way to attack Trump, despite their own president's and failed candidate's record on that "file".

Agreed.  That's politics though.  Independent thinkers, and voters, are more willing to give Trump a chance if he is trying a new plan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Agreed.  That's politics though.  Independent thinkers, and voters, are more willing to give Trump a chance if he is trying a new plan.

What makes you think Trump is going to finish the job in Afghanistan? It is the USA's longest running war to date.

2 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

What makes you think Trump is going to finish the job in Afghanistan? It is the USA's longest running war to date.

It's doubtful the US will be successful if they continue to pursue their idea of bringing in a central democracy. The country is just not ready for that. 

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Sigh.  Where did I SAY that ?  I didn't say it.  The US may well be in Afghanistan for as long as they have been in West Germany, Korea and so on.  What of it ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

15 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sigh.  Where did I SAY that ?  I didn't say it.  The US may well be in Afghanistan for as long as they have been in West Germany, Korea and so on.  What of it ?

My correction, I thought you were an independent thinker.

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

My correction, I thought you were an independent thinker.

Very confusing.  I'm independent because although I admittedly abhor Trump, I also think that the media pile-on is a bit much.  I also see opportunities for a leader who is loosely aligned to make decisions outside of the box.  That doesn't mean it will work, or that the US will "win".  It means that you can assess actions for what they are and not pretend to be a politician while posting on MLW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omni said:

It will be interesting to see which Donald Trump we see revealed with his upcoming visit to Phoenix. I somehow doubt he will continue with the demeanor he demonstrated yesterday with his highly scripted, totally teleprompter speech he delivered yesterday. And of course will he pardon convicted criminal Sheriff Arpaio? 

Are you hoping for a financial collapse?. One reason I would like the financial collapse to occur first is that it is the cause of many of the “issues” causing the current anger. If the root cause for much of this divisiveness goes away, maybe people will awaken to the real problems we face. Maybe.