America under President Trump

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Had the British Empire followed advice such as this, it would never have existed.

I never thought of that.  Tell him to continue making a fool of himself.  Your logic has shown me the error of my ways.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, Obama lied about far more important things.

And Trump has four years to catch up.  But he's made a good start.

He has shown that the one thing he doesn't care about when he lies, is how mindmeltingly obvious he is about it.

That should at least make for an entertaining four years.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Good...then all is well.  President Trump, just like previous presidents...will tell lies.  

Valid point, but I would have thought he would save his lies for something that matters.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Like lying in a federal court under oath about having sex with a White House intern ?   That important ?

Man, I hope it doesn't get to that.  You don't score any points using Clinton.  I didn't like him either.

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, blueblood said:

Weak minded people tend to vote democrat as well and the DNC has some whoppers of their own.  

Point is that when one is in the great game, all sides will use every trick in the book to win.  Mitt Romney learned that lesson the hard way...

No, you actually don't. And no, the DNC didn't have anything remotely like these outright, bald-faced lies.

Compulsive Liar

A compulsive liar is defined as someone who lies out of habit. Lying is their normal and reflexive way of responding to questions. Compulsive liars bend the truth about everything, large and small. For a compulsive liar, telling the truth is very awkward and uncomfortable while lying feels right. Compulsive lying is usually thought to develop in early childhood, due to being placed in an environment where lying was necessary. For the most part, compulsive liars are not overly manipulative and cunning (unlike sociopaths), rather they simply lie out of habit—an automatic response which is hard to break and one that takes its toll on a relationship (see how to cope with a compulsive liar).

34 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

And Trump has four years to catch up.  But he's made a good start.

Major politicians like Obama don't tell the public blatant lies, and if they did they would certainly not be dumb enough to tell them about something which can so easily be shown to be a lie. The old canard that politicians are dishonest generally refers to spin, and to presenting things in the best possible light, not bald faced lies.

Edited by Argus

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

Major politicians like Obama don't tell blatant lies about anything, and if they did they would certainly not be dumb enough to tell them about something which can so easily be shown to be a lie. The old canard that politicians are dishonest generally refers to spin, and to presenting things in the best possible light, not bald faced lies.

Please see "The Impeachment of President Bill Clinton" for "bald faced lies".

22 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Man, I hope it doesn't get to that.  You don't score any points using Clinton.  I didn't like him either.

I don't think the Trumpites can use Bill Clinton as an excuse for their pathological liar of a cult leader. Clinton might have been dishonest, but it was about a personal matter which ought to have remained private.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

I don't think the Trumpites can use Bill Clinton as an excuse for their pathological liar of a cult leader. Clinton might have been dishonest, but it was about a personal matter which ought to have remained private.

Clinton lied under oath in a federal court...Trump is just playing games with the media.

Just now, Argus said:

I got tired of arguing the point that Trump happily lies about things the entire planet knows to be false, and laughingly so.  It is a lack of comprehension skills on my part, I'm sure.  There must be a reason for it I just am not getting.

Just now, bcsapper said:

I got tired of arguing the point that Trump happily lies about things the entire planet knows to be false, and laughingly so.  It is a lack of comprehension skills on my part, I'm sure.  There must be a reason for it I just am not getting.

It's because he wants to....this is not rocket science.   Trump schooled the media at their own game...and won. 

Why would he stop now ?

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I never saw his cake. I would have him refrain from claiming things that were not so. I would have him ask his press secretary to refrain from such things as well.  I would also have him ensure his trusted advisors refrained from using phrases such as "alternative facts".  But all that is only if he would like to be taken seriously.  

I don't think anybody would even be talking about the size of Trump's crowd at this point if Trump hadn't ordered Sean Spicer come out and lie to the press about it. I think this is somewhat an example of "the Streisand Effect" in action.

Another example of his inability to resist lying for the sake of self-aggrandizement: his Tweet of his picture where he's supposedly writing his own speech.   With a Sharpie... at the Mar-a-Lago reception desk...  and now two days later we know that most of the speech was written by Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller.

I mean, it's not a big deal that he used speech-writers.  Every President uses speech writers.  That's a complete non-story.  So why did he have to go out and pretend like he was writing it himself?

"Guys! We need to stage a photo op where it looks like I'm writing the speech. Go down to the reception desk and get rid of that fat ugly receptionist, and move those brochures, and replace that computer monitor with a statue of a bald eagle, and I'll sit down behind the desk and pretend I'm writing a speech with this black marker."

-k

50 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It's because he wants to....this is not rocket science.   Trump schooled the media at their own game...and won. 

Why would he stop now ?

He didn't win.  Only the magnitude of his loss is yet to be determined.