Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

13 minutes ago, Argus said:

UBC cancels a speech after one woman tweets a complaint.. They said they feared controversy...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-john-furlongs-trial-by-social-media

It seems UBC has no backbone whatsoever, if that's all it took to cancel a talk.   On the other hand, they've been found to be rather severely under-motivated when it comes to dealing with student's complaints of sexual assault, so perhaps they're over-compensating now.

29 minutes ago, Argus said:

UBC cancels a speech after one woman tweets a complaint.. They said they feared controversy...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-john-furlongs-trial-by-social-media

This story is still ongoing, and the complaint process is still ongoing for these cases.  It's troublesome on all sides, but not an example of thin-skinnedness.  Maybe the University doesn't want to pick a side on this one quite yet.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

This story is still ongoing, and the complaint process is still ongoing for these cases.  It's troublesome on all sides, but not an example of thin-skinnedness.  Maybe the University doesn't want to pick a side on this one quite yet.

He has been cleared of all charges.  That is the issue. 

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

I don't think you can see he is exonerated though, given the actions that are still underway.

He has been legally exonerated and there is no complaint process going on. I may be wrong. Maybe someone can show that the process is still ongoing. 

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't think you can see he is exonerated though, given the actions that are still underway.

He has been quite thoroughly exonerated. There are no actions underway against him. Were I him I would be initiating action against the woman who made the complaint, though.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There are civil cases and the First Nations governments in the area have asked the feds to look at how the investigation was conducted.

If you have a cite about civil actions against him I'd like to see it. According to the story two of the complainants were shown to not even have gone to the school where he taught and the third had her criminal complaint dismissed and withdrew her civil action.

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

If you have a cite about civil actions against him I'd like to see it. According to the story two of the complainants were shown to not even have gone to the school where he taught and the third had her criminal complaint dismissed and withdrew her civil action.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/12/six-aboriginals-file-complaint-human-rights-tribun/

This article says the civil actions didn't proceed, so I had old information.  The issue isn't resolved, though, so I can't blame UBC for not wanting to pick a side.  Nor is this example of thin-skinned-people being produced by universities.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/12/six-aboriginals-file-complaint-human-rights-tribun/

This article says the civil actions didn't proceed, so I had old information.  The issue isn't resolved, though, so I can't blame UBC for not wanting to pick a side.  Nor is this example of thin-skinned-people being produced by universities.

When the decision making people at Universities take a stand like the John Furlong case, it doesn't set a good example for the students who are easily molded into thin-skinned graduates.

4 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

When the decision making people at Universities take a stand like the John Furlong case, it doesn't set a good example for the students who are easily molded into thin-skinned graduates.

So... if a University doesn't take a controversial position it doesn't set a good example ?

And it doesn't set a good example for students ?

Students, who by the way are easily molded into thin-skinned graduates ?

It's a three-step to the point here and still a big stretch for the OP.

This is just more complaining and piling on, IMO.

36 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So... if a University doesn't take a controversial position it doesn't set a good example ?

And it doesn't set a good example for students ?

Students, who by the way are easily molded into thin-skinned graduates ?

It's a three-step to the point here and still a big stretch for the OP.

This is just more complaining and piling on, IMO.

How do children become spoiled rotten? By parents who giving them everything they want, not making them do anything they don't want to, and never punishing them. What makes you think it works any differently in universities? If nobody tells these entitled students they do not have the right to impose their self-righteous views and beliefs on others, nor have the right to ban the speech or even presence of those they don't like, well, that's what gives us snowflakes. 

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Laura Robinson responds to Blatchford's column here:

http://www.canadalandshow.com/correcting-christie-blatchford/

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Laura Robinson responds to Blatchford's column here:

http://www.canadalandshow.com/correcting-christie-blatchford/

Just because something makes it on Canada land doesn't make it truthful. If you want to delve into this you should read more about the case and start a thread. Especially about Laura. 

13 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Just because something makes it on Canada land doesn't make it truthful. If you want to delve into this you should read more about the case and start a thread. Especially about Laura. 

I didn't say it was truthful, it's just a response to the story.  But it does explain why many think that this is still ongoing and why UBC might want to see how it's resolved before moving forward.  You're right that we should move forward or start a new thread on this example.

I have in the past represented students on campus and professors who feel they have been unfairly treated. I have tried to be blunt and candid and tell people that having lectured and taught at community and private colleges and universities today the climate is such that students know how to play the system to make all kinds of accusations to increase their marks. Its not easy say when you lecture a class of 700 for that to happen but in small classes of under 35 or so it gets easier.There is pressure put on us to mark easy and accommodate and students need not prove they have a disability any more simply claim one.. Yes there are some academics who sleep with their students yes and that can blow up.

Then there is the issue of a student groups who bring in speakers who are inflammatory and incite comments that single out other students for hatred. The BDS movement for example on campuses has incited numerous anti semitic attacks on students who are Jews and student groups have tried to use BDS and their groups and certain professors to get other professors fired for being Jews.

I myself underwent in graduate law school openly anti semitic remarks directed at me in class by a professor.

Is university thin skinned? I have gone to two graduate schools and two under-graduate schools. I  have been a student, professor, lecturer, faculty chair at one point. I can say every professor has an ego and those with tenure are protected and yes  students can  learn to parrot them get good marks. As a professor I taught students to openly challenge me and the lesson I always drove home is the  answer is not the key its the method you arrived at the answer I want to see. Students with me knew they didn't have to agree with me but they had to be able to show how they arrived at their conclusions and did not pass off subjective opinion as fact.

All that said I've seen some very hateful speakers and advised the student body, if possible let them speak, then challenge them. University is a time to challenge and debate and no matter how unpopular the opinion try stay calm and debate it.Its a fine line between healthy debate and comments so hateful as to prevent debate, respect and tolerance of different views. I think in the name of political propriety we have unfortunately shut down a lot of free speech.

That said in this specific case its different. Its not the speaker's views in question and being censored. if it was I would say let him speak and challenge his views and don't censor or ban unless the views are so hateful as to prevent peaceful discourse.

Its not the case here. In this case we have a sports administrator who had accusations made against him as to physical and sexual abuse by native Canadians. There has been no criminal conviction and there are no civil actions in progress. There is one indirect human rights action as to how another body investigated the individual in question but nothing direct. So the speaker in question is not being censored because of his views or what he will say but he is being banned because he is perceived in the native community of being an abusive coach who got away with beng an abuser.

UBC has made a public relations call not based on his opinions or what he would say at a fundraiser he was invited to but because of his being unpopular to native communities. Because its a fundraising exercise and not a speaker called to express a political opinion, I would argue its a public relations business decision not a freedom of speech issue and in fundraising charities often do unpopular things or unfair things to avoid alienating donations and their donors.  Fundraising is a business and in business you have to decide, is more goodwill generated by the fundraiser or more harm caused. This was a business decision. I don't as such think its an example of censoring someone for their opinions as it is the perception he was a bully and abusive to natives and could do more harm than good showing up. Its a tough one. If you have natives picketing UBC at a fundraiser for sure it would harm any goodwill the non profit sports activities needed funding for.

Now it wasn't too long ago we had a sex scandal where the assistant to a very famous coach who built a university and had a statute built in his name was exposed. It was a shock as the extent and nature of the pedophile abuse came out and it caused very wounded feelings deep in the community heavily attached to the football team. You also have an example of a pedophile ring that operated in Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens and in both instances major public relations damage teams came in.

It comes down to public relations which is one sordid business of packaging and spinning messages and where necessary doing damage control. PR damage control is based on containing negative perception and in fact avoiding it not resolving it. Damage control puts our a fire nothing else.

UBC has not and will not get to the roots of the fire. That is still smouldering. It chose only to put out an immediate outburst of flame.

The underlying issue is yet resolved.

This is more of an example of a p.r. decision not thin skinned students or academics. Its about fundraising not political views.

If I was basing my decision for the charity  I would limit my consideration to   weighing whether this would help or harm fundraising and the charity's goodwill and nothing else, so honestly because of that  I would not have this guy show up.

Now if you asked me would I hire the guy for a job or refuse to hire him because of what happened, I think that's a different situation and my decision would not be the same and I would give careful consideration to his merit. Now I know  a lot of people are not going to hire this guy and that might be unfair.

If he is not going to a fundraiser but asked to lecture, I probably would say to students, if you feel offended by him don't come, but he's coming.

Whether this guy is innocent or was a prick but not a pervert is for him and that community to  live with. I would remain neutral to both but as a pr move for fundaraising I would politely tell him no thanks. Hiring/firing  him, or having him come to a lecture I might decide otherwise.

Edited by Rue

• 3 weeks later...

Protesting the Inauguration of this Illegitimate POTUS can be stressful. Snowflakes need a place to feel safe. 

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/stuffed-animals-and-juice-boxes-georgetown-offers-safe-space-for-trump-inauguration-protesters/

Concerned that some of its students might suffer long-term emotional distress from prolonged proximity to Donald Trump’s inauguration, a club at Georgetown University is offering a restorative safe space with Legos, stuffed animals, juice boxes and snacks.

The event, called “Self-Care Night,” is sponsored by GUPride, the school’s LGBT organization, and is designed to help students who spend time protesting this weekend to reconnect with their “inner children,” and de-stress.

“Join GUPride for a night of relaxation, recovery, and rest after a long week,” an email invitation sent to Georgetown GUPride members states. “There will be Legos and stuffed animals and coloring books—come to embrace the inner child and hang out with people :)”

Edited by Boges