Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

31 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

I think that most people who take offence it is because they are being called something they don't relate to. If you call someone a he/Mr. and that person doesn't consider themself a man, or similarly she/Ms./Mrs./Miss and that person doesn't consider themself a woman then offence is taken. While the third person plural is a bit awkward for an individual, I doubt many would seriously object. The whole point of xe was to try and establish a gender neutral third person singular, kind of like some people use M. as a gender neutral replacement for Mr./Ms./Mrs./Miss.

If non-binary people come up with one new gender neutral pronoun like "ze/zey/zimself" then I'm not against using that too.  But if 10 different gender neutral people want me to use like 8 different new pronouns and it's absolutely confusing as heck then yeah sorry no.  Who the heck is going to remember all that?  Let's get a standard going.

27 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

My reasoning being, in terms of benefits and all the other things that person would need, the forms ask if you are male or female. When it comes to medical stuff, you can't use non-binary as that won't help with a proper diagnosis of an issue.

I don't see a problem with having "biological sex at birth" on your medical records..  I don't know why you'd ask for "gender" anyways for medical reasons.

I cannot use they/them to describe an individual. It simply does not make sense as they/them is commonly used in the plural and not the singular. This is the confusion we face with regards to language and purposeful confusion of the terms.

You do it all the time. 

"Where did Andrew go?"  "I think they went to the store".

"Is that Andrew's car?" "Yes that's theirs".

Edited by Moonlight Graham

17 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I don't see a problem with having "biological sex at birth" on your medical records..  I don't know why you'd ask for "gender" anyways for medical reasons.

You do it all the time. 

"Where did Andrew go?"  "I think they went to the store".

"Is that Andrew's car?" "Yes that's theirs".

No,  Where did HE go.

Where is HIS car.

They/them is plural and creates confusion.

On 2016-04-15 at 0:04 PM, eyeball said:

Why don't people just shout back? I can't help but get the sense the Blatchfords of the world make a big show of being shouted down so they can play the victim card too.

This whole PC thing and especially the reaction to it is as phony as a three dollar bill.

Everyone should be embracing the opportunity for idiots to shoot their mouths off inappropriately. Recall that adage about removing all doubt when people open their mouths.

Well, in the case cited above there were three people chained to the podium denying her rights as a Canadian.

Edited by drummindiver

On 2016-12-20 at 2:41 PM, cybercoma said:

How is "alt-right" an insult? It's a political ideology and movement with tons of empirical evidence behind it of people self-identifying with it. Saying "alt-right" is an insult is the same as these racist idiots saying its an insult to point out their racism. You sure twist yourself into a pretzel trying to pretend you're objective.

A MLW member became upset I used the term PC. He assumed I was speakingi of the left. Even if I was ( I was 't) even that term has become a term to avoid lest we offend.

20 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

A MLW member became upset I used the term PC. He assumed I was speakingi of the left. Even if I was ( I was 't) even that term has become a term to avoid lest we offend.

No he became amused when an article you linked to in this OP of your's said; It’s now official: leftists are the actual book-burners.

Your style is pretty much completely patented now. 

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

PC is more of a non-descript descriptor like 'snowflake' and 'SJW' I think.  If someone called you those things it could be an insult, but calling some 'racist' is an insult.  Plenty of right - of - centre people are 'offended' by being called that, and they report it.  Rightfully so.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

PC is more of a non-descript descriptor like 'snowflake' and 'SJW' I think.  If someone called you those things it could be an insult, but calling some 'racist' is an insult.  Plenty of right - of - centre people are 'offended' by being called that, and they report it.  Rightfully so.

Calling someone a bigot is also an insult but warnings/suspensions are not given out for those instances I don't believe. Why is racist such a bad word? 

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

You're wrong, but let's leave moderation out of it.  The topic is about thin-skinned people and insults in general society here.

I was wondering if someone thinks being called a racist is worse than being called a bigot.  A thick skinned person probably wouldn't care what they are called as long as the accuser can back up their accusations.   

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Are left of centre people not called racists?  I'm pretty sure I've been called that and much worse.  

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Not to refer to another poster, for sure.  Try referring to statements, ideas, and actions - it's easier to define something succinct like that.

It's actually harder to define something succinct but it also sugar coats the issue. 

6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

That can't be right.  People who express very racist views are offended when that racism is pointed out to them.   

I haven't noticed that.  I have noticed a lot of people being called racist, or bigot, for pointing things out that other people don't like being pointed out.

That said, I sure as hell don't read more than about 5% of the posts on here, so what do I know, really?  I just can't imagine an actual racist being offended. 

Just now, bcsapper said:

I haven't noticed that.  I have noticed a lot of people being called racist, or bigot, for pointing things out that other people don't like being pointed out.

That said, I sure as hell don't read more than about 5% of the posts on here, so what do I know, really?  I just can't imagine an actual racist being offended. 

I am not speaking specifically to this forum. I am speaking in general terms. If I were having a conversation with someone at the pub or wherever and I thought they were being a racist or a bigot about a certain issue I would bring it up and we would discuss. Being called a racist or a bigot is no worse then being called a radical feminist or a man hater except in those instances it's ok.  

For some reason being called a racist is taboo. 

2 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I am not speaking specifically to this forum. I am speaking in general terms. If I were having a conversation with someone at the pub or wherever and I thought they were being a racist or a bigot about a certain issue I would bring it up and we would discuss. Being called a racist or a bigot is no worse then being called a radical feminist or a man hater except in those instances it's ok.  

Not if it is brought up for discussion.  I certainly can't see that being a problem.  I would only see it being an issue if it was used to shut down a discussion. 

6 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

You are missing the point. When you use labels like that in a public debate you are using it as an excuse to avoid an actual discussion of the issues. Instead of looking at the nuance of the arguments being made you want to label it as 'untouchable' and impute the motives of the people advancing the argument. This poisons public discourse and encourages people you disagree with to adopt the same propaganda tactics. Now if you don't care about a reasoned debate and like the current toxic environment then keep labeling people as racist for expressing ideas you disagree with. 

Edited by TimG