which women should be on Canada's paper notes?

Topaz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, Is this our choices for women? There has to someone other than a couple old hippies - isn't there?

Maybe Kim Campbell. I know she was never elected as prime minister, but she was prime minister and that speaks to many other preceding accomplishments.

Too bad Joni didn't run for PM. She'd have won in a landslide, we could slap her on bill, and we could celebrate by drinking a case of Canada.

And apparently your opinion is that someone who has artistic ability and success is not valuable enough to put on our money, but Kim Campbell is. My, my. Tell us what Campbell did, if you please, to warrant such notoriety.

That's right! I would consider Terry Fox based on his worldly contributions, but a singer? That's embarrassing...that really shows that we have no realistic ideas.

But, if we're gonna do celebs, why not M.J Fox, Shattner or Don Cherry

How about a heart with the word mom in it? Surely that's as valid as a proponent of eugenics or a 60's burnout folk singer, but no doubt there are plenty of good choices available, not that it matters to most, it's another empty gesture, it's what liberals seem to be best at. War memorials are symbols we don't need, but a picture of a woman most will likely never have heard of on money most of us don't use is somehow important, yawn. You only need to look at the kind of people here that this seems to impress to know how unimportant it truly is.

How about a heart with the word mom in it? Surely that's as valid as a proponent of eugenics or a 60's burnout folk singer, but no doubt there are plenty of good choices available, not that it matters to most, it's another empty gesture, it's what liberals seem to be best at. War memorials are symbols we don't need, but a picture of a woman most will likely never have heard of on money most of us don't use is somehow important, yawn. You only need to look at the kind of people here that this seems to impress to know how unimportant it truly is.

Nicely said!

"Burn out folk singer"? Apparently you are a little slow when it comes to Canadian culture.

No, an example of the perfect solution fallacy would be:

We shouldn't put women for the sake of women on money because there would still not be enough non-christians for the sake of being non-christians, or non-whites for the sake of being non-white.

That isn't my position. My position is that the whole thing is sexist and wrong.

Ah.

So you think we should just continue to put men on the bills as in the past ... ?

But that would be sexist and wrong!

How do we correct sexism?

Edited by jacee

Ah.

So you think we should just continue to put men on the bills as in the past ... ?

No, I think we should take the Pakistan approach.

But that would be sexist and wrong!

How do we correct sexism?.

It is sexist and wrong to base decisions on what is between someone's legs. Male or female, shouldn't be a criteria.

No, I think we should take the Pakistan approach.

It is sexist and wrong to base decisions on what is between someone's legs. Male or female, shouldn't be a criteria.

Obviously, as far as faces on the money, gender has been a criteria for over a century.

How would you suggest we correct that existing sexism?

Edited by jacee

Obviously, as far as faces on the money, gender has been a criteria for over a century.

No, heads of government/state have been the criteria. Thus the Queen + former Prime Ministers.

Paskistan's approach. Remove all humans from money.

There is no sexism involved. The figures on the bills are people who, in Canada's history, contributed to the building of this country

No woman contributed much, compared to many men. That WAS due to sexism, of course. In a patriarchal society women were not rulers or generals - except members of Royalty. They didn't run huge business, and often weren't even employed outside the home. That is why scouring through Canada's history trying to find a woman who had anything like the influence of any number of men is futile. What woman influenced Canada as much as Lester Pearson? And he's not on any bill.

And who is this woman going to replace? Most likely Robert Borden, who led Canada through WW1, an era where we were transformed from still something of a colony to an independent nation, and the PM who introduced universal suffrage, giving women the vote.

???

Precisely.

I don't think anyone would question there used to be sexism in society. But putting a woman on a bill simply because she's a woman is sexism now unless it can be demonstrated that she deserves the honour more than Robert Borden or Lester Pearson or others who built and shaped this country.

It's actually quite patronizing. When I ask women I know about putting a woman on a bill their usual response it to roll their eyes and say something like "Like I give a damn".

Edited by Argus