which women should be on Canada's paper notes?

Topaz

I saw this online and thought to ask that question here...what female would u like to see on our bills besides the Queen.? I think the first woman in the House should be and that would be Agnes McPhail in 1921, who was a Conservative. She was also a member of the Ontario government at one time. Thoughts?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emily Carr

Why would an artist who came to fame by appropriating indigenous cultures be worthy of a such an honour? Not much better than Nellie McClung who was an advocate for progressive cause of the time "eugenics" but at least Nellie McClung changed Canadian society for the better. Edited by TimG

Why would an artist who came to fame by appropriating indigenous cultures be worthy of a such an honour? Not much better than Nellie McClung who was an advocate for progressive cause of the time "eugenics" but at least Nellie McClung changed Canadian society for the better.

Please provide a cite for McClung's support for eugenics.

ETA: To say that Carr appropriated indegenous culture is to be completely ignorant of her works. Indiginous culture was the subject of much of her work, but that's not an appropriation of culture in any way.

Edited by The_Squid

Please provide a cite for McClung's support for eugenics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_McClung

McClung was a supporter of the then popular social philosophy of eugenics and campaigned for the sterilization of those considered "simple-minded". Her promotion of the benefits of sterilization contributed to the passage of eugenics legislation in Alberta.

ETA: To say that Carr appropriated indigenous culture is to be completely ignorant of her works. Indigenous culture was the subject of much of her work, but that's not an appropriation of culture in any way.

If serving ethic food in a school cafeteria is deemed 'cultural appropriation' then using aboriginal themes in ones art is also appropriation.

Personally, I think accusing anyone of 'appropriation' is politically correct nonsense. My point was to illustrate how any historical figure can be shown to be bad person if you want to construct such a narrative.

Edited by TimG

My point was to illustrate how any historical figure can be shown to be bad person if you want to construct such a narrative.

And you want to construct this narrative why?

You just don't want any women on the money?

You just don't want any women on the money?

I think McClung and/or the 'Famous Five' should be on the bill because she changed Canadian society. But some will object because of the eugenics thing. Constructing a similar narrative for any other candidate is intended to illustrate how absurd those kinds of objections are.

I demand we put an atheist on the money! Too many Christians!

I demand we put a gay person on the money! Too many straight people.

[David Attenborough voice over] Here in the wilds of Maple Leaf Forums we see the presence of the "perfect solution fallacy" where an argument assumes that a solution should be rejected because some part of the problem would still exist even after the solution was implemented. This is a type of black and white thinking in which a person fails to see the complex interplay between multiple component elements .....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy#Perfect_solution_fallacy

[David Attenborough voice over] Here in the wilds of Maple Leaf Forums we see the presence of the "perfect solution fallacy" where an argument assumes that a solution should be rejected because some part of the problem would still exist even after the solution was implemented. This is a type of black and white thinking in which a person fails to see the complex interplay between multiple component elements .....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy#Perfect_solution_fallacy

I don't understand how what I wrote classifies as a perfect solution fallacy.

Or do you actually think that I think we should put people on the money for being gay or atheist or black or whatever?

I don't understand how what I wrote classifies as a perfect solution fallacy.

Or do you actually think that I think we should put people on the money for being gay or atheist or black or whatever?

I forgot the cardinal rule: one cannot expect a person who uses a fallacy to understand they have used it....

John A was a drunken old conservative racist and he was good enough for the dollar. How about moving on to Joni. I don't reckon I need to includer her last name do I?

Well, John A created the country. Joni did what exactly? Played some music like hundreds of others? Why not Pamela Anderson? She brought pleasure to millions.

I forgot the cardinal rule: one cannot expect a person who uses a fallacy to understand they have used it....

No, an example of the perfect solution fallacy would be:

We shouldn't put women for the sake of women on money because there would still not be enough non-christians for the sake of being non-christians, or non-whites for the sake of being non-white.

That isn't my position. My position is that the whole thing is sexist and wrong.

I suspect Joni brought pleasure to a lot more people who have intellect that exceeds simple ogling.

As many as Justin Bieber? How about Celine Dion? Both very popular females.

Edited by Argus