Trudeau: Can't Be Canadian...Without United States

The U.S. television news magazine program 60 Minutes interviewed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau before his recent state visit to the United States, which has garnered lots of attention in Canadian media. His statements during the interview were seen by some as smug lecturing to Americans, not just its government.

Do you agree with Trudeau's advice to Americans about worldly "awareness" and more specifically, his statement that "...you can't be Canadian without being aware of at least one other country, the United States..."

What does this say about longstanding stereotypes and definition of the Canadian identity?

Lara Logan: What do Canadians not like about the U.S?

Justin Trudeau: You know, I had a conversation one time with an American parent of a friend of mine and she was a big supporter of a presidential candidate. And I pointed out that if that person was run-- if indeed this man was running to be-- as Americans like to say, the "most powerful man in the world," I just felt like it might be nice if they paid a little more attention to the world. So having a little more of an awareness of what's going on in the rest of the world, I think, is what many Canadians would hope for Americans. Because you can't be Canadian without being aware of at least one other country, the United States, 'cause it's so important to us. I think we sometimes like to think that, you know, Americans will pay attention to us from time to time, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-prime-minister-trudeau/

I have long suspected that the United States played/plays a significant role in some Canadians' perspective and outlook, but the depth of this impact has always been ill defined. Surely most Canadians choose to live day-to-day without so much attention devoted to what is happening in the United States. French Canadians even more so.

What was Trudeau talking about if not a pathetic cry for more American attention to Canada and the "rest of the world" ? Does it really define what it means to be Canadian ? Would Canadians welcome such attention, even if negative ?

Really, what difference does it make? This is about the level of a teenage girl analyzing every nuance of their latest crush's casual "hi, how are you?" ... "OMG", she moans to her friend ... "What did he mean?? Does he like me???" Politicians say stuff in interviews, and of all the things he said in that interview, this seems like one of the least relevant or interesting. Unless you're an American, I guess, since it was an American who asked the question on air, and another American asking it again here.

Really, what difference does it make? ...Unless you're an American, I guess, since it was an American who asked the question on air, and another American asking it again here.

It makes enough of a difference for Trudeau to voluntarily say it to Americans, which was his intention. The question was asked by a South African with lots more worldly experience and "awareness" than Trudeau.

On the news, Canadians keep hearing the media talk about how the US is Canada's largest trading partner and that Canada WAS the same to the US, BUT China now has replaced Canada and with Mexico having many auto companies down there, don't be surprised if Mexico out exports Canada. Naturally, governments are more involved with each other but saying Canadians can't be Canadian.. without the US is also saying Mexico can't be Mexican without the US.....

.... Naturally, governments are more involved with each other but saying Canadians can't be Canadian.. without the US is also saying Mexico can't be Mexican without the US.....

But the president of Mexico did not say this on prime time U.S. television....Trudeau did while smugly telling Americans what he thought Canadians didn't like about their country.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Another Trudeau tidbit from last year consistently reflects his stance on the U.S. and Americans with respect to Canada and identity:

Justin Trudeau, Canada’s newly elected prime minister, is under no illusions about his country’s relationship with the United States.

“For our American cousins, the relationship is consequential. For us, it has often been definitional, ” Trudeau said earlier this year. “Prime Ministers and governments are commonly and rightly judged by how they foster that relationship for the greater common good … this is how it should be.”

http://fortune.com/2015/10/20/justin-trudeau-canada-prime-minister/

Trudeau is quite willing to prostrate himself before American leadership to attain Canadian objectives. The Liberals are most certainly back.

Another Trudeau tidbit from last year consistently reflects his stance on the U.S. and Americans with respect to Canada and identity:

Justin Trudeau, Canada’s newly elected prime minister, is under no illusions about his country’s relationship with the United States.

“For our American cousins, the relationship is consequential. For us, it has often been definitional, ” Trudeau said earlier this year. “Prime Ministers and governments are commonly and rightly judged by how they foster that relationship for the greater common good … this is how it should be.”

http://fortune.com/2015/10/20/justin-trudeau-canada-prime-minister/

Trudeau is quite willing to prostrate himself before American leadership to attain Canadian objectives. The Liberals are most certainly back.

I didn't see him prostrate himself at any time during the visit. Care to elaborate, or will you just "dream on brother, dream on".?

His statements during the interview were seen by some as smug lecturing to Americans, not just its government.

What does this say about longstanding stereotypes and definition of the Canadian identity?

Not much except that somebody has to smack you people upside the head from time to time and that we'll always be there for you.

• 1 month later...

Round-up of "right wing" fallout from the "historic" PM Justin Trudeau visit to the United States:

Right-wing media mocked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and President Obama prior to and during Trudeau's historic visit to Washington, D.C., calling the event a "first date" and dismissing Trudeau as "the Obama of the North," a "fanboy," and "not the smartest guy in the world."

"Justin Trudeau Is Condescending & Smug Just Like Obama."

"Justin Trudeau Keeps Gushing About Obama - Looks Like A Major Fanboy Living The Dream."

"NY Post Columnist John Podhoretz: Justin Trudeau Is "Not The Smartest Guy In The World."

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/03/10/right-wing-media-mock-canadian-prime-minister-t/209142

Round-up of "right wing" fallout from the "historic" PM Justin Trudeau visit to the United States:

:lol: are you needing a fix... that's a month and a half ago now! Stay thirsty my friend.

clearly, Canada must be so important to the U.S. to have hosted a formal state dinner for Trudeau/Canada.

That usually happens when 2 left or right government are in power at the same time. Trudeau thought he was special.

must be why the Obama admin held 2 state dinners for the prior/current Chinese presidents, hey! Trudeau special? Well, apparently more special than Harper, yes?

As I said you rarely see a democrat giving a dinner to a conservative and visa versa. You understand now.

rarely? A check on Obama's 10 State Dinners shows that half have been given to leaders/countries that aren't in your narrowly skewed 'democrat vs. conservative' categorization... I'll leave it to you to position that country with the coalition government. You understand now? It would just be easier for you to have suggested that Obama and Harper has little personal respect for each other, whereas... according to American media... Trudeau is the progressive heir apparent to Obama - yes?